Tenacious In VG10???S30V???

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vicinadp

Tenacious In VG10???S30V???

Post by Vicinadp »

I own and love a tenacious but it is prone to getting a little speckling on the blade if left un-oiled. Its one of my best slicers and one of my favorite spydies. Hopping others besides myself would buy a tenacious with vg10 or s30v or something like that.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

A Sage 1 or an FFG Endura would probably be a good option.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Chinese Spydies don't get American steels due to cost of shipping it over. They don't get Japanese steels ever out of principle. 8Cr13Mov is still far more corrosive resistant than non-stainless blades which hardly patina with proper treatment and use.

Personally I'd enjoy the tenacious and even oil the blade if you want to be extra careful. Grab a Para2, Superleaf, or Manix2 for the premium components. It's good to have a worker and a baby :) .
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

It would be cool to see the Tenacious turn into a USA, Japan or Taiwan made knife.

Love the tenacious! Such a fun knife!
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Or they could make a similar model leaving the $30 one in production too.
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Blerv wrote:Or they could make a similar model leaving the $30 one in production too.
Now we're talking! I would love to own a Tenacious with a VG10 blade. The Tenacious is a kick a$$ knife and while there is nothing wrong with the
8CR13MOV steel, it would still be nice to see one with a VG10 blade.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

A Tenacious with VG-10 would defeat the entire purpose of the "Value" line. It would no longer fit into that category.

I started with a Tenacious, and just ordered a Stretch, which has VG-10, as a step up (my Stretch is serrated, though).
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

That would be the reason for leaving it in the value line and offering another one in VG10. Two versions of the same knife at two different prices. :)
.357 mag

Post by .357 mag »

I like the knives for what they are. I few knives I've bought because of steel, but other than that, I buy because of the knife it self. The price,steel,handle material all play into the factor. I say, leave them alone.
-F1

Post by -F1 »

I wonder how much a Tenacious with VG-10 would go for. If it were in the ~$60 range, I'd probably buy one.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

-F1 wrote:I wonder how much a Tenacious with VG-10 would go for. If it were in the ~$60 range, I'd probably buy one.
As mentioned earlier, it would be improbable to have a Tenacious with Japanese steels.
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

The Chinese do make knives with this steel nowadays - I've got a VG-10 kitchen knife that was made in the PRC.

I agree with the other posters though, the Tenacious line is fine with the current steel, and if you want to upgrade to better materials you can easily buy a Spyderco that's made in the US / Japan / Taiwan or Italy. The value line is close to perfect for its purpose already.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Redeye wrote:The Chinese do make knives with this steel nowadays - I've got a VG-10 kitchen knife that was made in the PRC.

I agree with the other posters though, the Tenacious line is fine with the current steel, and if you want to upgrade to better materials you can easily buy a Spyderco that's made in the US / Japan / Taiwan or Italy. The value line is close to perfect for its purpose already.
Hhmmm, well they also make striders. ;)
spyderfan123

Post by spyderfan123 »

i would love to get a persistence in s30v steel!
i used it ever since i got it
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

The value line is awesome, but there is still no reason not to have a Tenacious with VG10 steel. Afterall the Byrd line is a more affordable line of Spyderco knives, i.e. Meadowlark-Delica, CaraCara-Endura, Robin-Dragonfly, etc. So why not do the same for the Tenacious?

I have other, more expensive knives from Spyderco, but that is really not the point. The desire is to have a knife that is really popular, and offered with a different steel, for those who would want one. Not buy a different knife with different steel, but buy a Tenacious with different steel.

Excuse the rant, but I really would love to own a Tenacious with VG10 steel. I know it would probably never happen, but it's still cool to think about it. :D
Allen R.

Post by Allen R. »

Wow I just did a price search online for the tenacious, and the price of them is not that lower than what i payed for my delicas or enduras. Im always up for a knife in new steel, but at the same time, I don't like to limit myself to one model or design. I say branch out get a few different models (depending on your budget). You may find what your looking for in a model already in production vs. trying to get a current model upgraded. thats just my $.02
I've been bitten for about a year now, and I haven't been the same since...My name is Allen and I'm a spyder-holic
sal

Post by sal »

We've been working on something with Carpenter.

sal
Azwaiian

Post by Azwaiian »

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! :D :p
wsdavies

Post by wsdavies »

Sweet....Colored G-10?
sal wrote:We've been working on something with Carpenter.

sal
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore Roosevelt
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Oh wow I love my tenacious a new one would be great sal!