Dragonfly2 Lightweight (ZDP) my first FRN

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Muad'Dib

Dragonfly2 Lightweight (ZDP) my first FRN

Post by Muad'Dib »

I just received my Dragonfly2 Lightweight with ZDP-189 steel and green FRN scales. This is my first knife of a normal size with an FRN handle(my Ladybug3 is a little too small to get a real feel of the FRN). All of my knives up to this point have either had metal scales or G-10 scales. Honestly, I was a little worried that I'd hate it. I knew I was going to love the ZDP blade, which I do, but plastic scales with no liners? I wasn't sure.

After slicing through a couple cardboard boxes, making S cuts and really trying to get a feel for the stability of the knife, I've determined that FRN is at least adequate, structurally, for the Dragonfly2 chassis. Just testing the blade with my hand, there's no lateral blade play, but you can definitely feel the flex of the FRN. With the Dragonfly2 I'm always choked up on the blade using the choils, which gives me great control and negates any flex issues from FRN. I know that everyone seems to love the FRN Delicas and Enduras (which I don't own), but I fear that I would be even more wary of purchasing one of those than I was of this knife.

Overall, I love the knife, I'm ok with the FRN on this knife (it's crazy light), but I have reservations about spending money on a larger knife with FRN handles.
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
itora

Post by itora »

Muad'Dib,

Inside the handles of the Delica & Endura are dual skeletonized stainless steel liners.
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

itora wrote:Muad'Dib,

Inside the handles of the Delica & Endura are dual skeletonized stainless steel liners.
Yeah, if they were unlined, they would probably flex too much. As it is, they're plenty rigid.
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

itora wrote:Muad'Dib,

Ah, I must have missed that. I guess I can put the Delica back on my list. Really, my criticism of FRN has mostly to do with it's structural limitations. As far as feel, it definitely doesn't feel as high performance as G-10, but it has a certain lightweight sporty feel.

Who knows, it's very possible it will grow on me, and in a month or two, I'll be singing it's praises. My first impressions are always adaptable.
Stainless A.T.R SE | CF Sage PE | Ti Sage 2 PE | CF Caly 3 PE | 2x Grey G-10 Caly 3.5 Super Blue PE | Black G-10 Persistence PE | Black G-10 Tenacious PE | Foliage Green G-10 Dragonfly PE | Hunter Green FRN Dragonfly2 Lightweight PE | Foliage Green FRN Ladybug PE | Burgundy Micarta Jester PE
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Maud'Dib,

Endura and Delica heap good knife for using. :) They've been continually refined for the past 21 years using customer feedback for improvements. We refined the first mold 6 times and we've made two new molds since.

Tell you what. Based on what I've seen of your posts and knife aficianado traits ;) , You buy a ZDP full flat ground Delica and use it every day for a month. If you don't agree that it is an exceptional cutting package in all respects, then I'll buy it back from you. :D

sal
Muad'Dib

Post by Muad'Dib »

Well, it's going to have to wait it's turn, but that sounds like an offer that I can't refuse. :D

Thanks Sal!

Edit: Is that model still in production? I can't find any dealers who have it in stock.
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I find its a great little knife, and you can't argue with Sal's business practices :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Delica's ergos could use some tweaking, at least for me, i have pretty big hands and the finger "cutouts" don't follow my hand at all...but i understand there's probably a majority of users with much smaller hands so i can't complain. It would be cool if it were just one big "dip" like the Dragonfly has, i think that would fit all hand sizes more equally.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Muad'Dib wrote:Edit: Is that model still in production? I can't find any dealers who have it in stock.
http://www.cutleryshoppe.com/delica4-zd ... dedge.aspx

The picture is hollow ground, but the description says that it is now a FFG knife.

Also at Howes: http://www.howesknifeshop.com/spyderco/ ... n-zdp-189/
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Flex is relative and a personal preference. Two knives I've abused the most (due to cost mainly) is a FRN serrated Ladybug and FRN serrated Dragonfly (gen1). Both have held up amazingly well and SE holds an edge nicely.

The lines FRN knives are that much more beefy.
dem0n1k

Post by dem0n1k »

I use a Pacific Salt C91BBK a lot & it has an FRN handle with no steel liners. There is definitely some flex to the handle if you want to give it a decent twist.. but I've never had any trouble with it. I mainly use it as my dive knife when I go snorkelling. A few weekends ago I was using it to open mussels which puts a fair side torque on the blade & it performed admirably :D yummy fresh mussels :D
:spyder: australian spyderco fan :spyder:
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

In my experience FRN is a great handle material. I don't use my knives hard enough to put them to a "hard use" test. I had an Endura3 and now have a Pacific Salt. Both knives have FRN linerless handles. I haven't ever felt like thay weren't solid enough. Whatever flexing they do comes right back to straight. You won't break it. The Manix2 knives are rated as "hard use" knives and have G-10 scales. I don't know if G-10 is stronger than FRN or not. Someone else should know. The benefit of G-10 (for me) is the feel. It provides a little more friction making it easier to hold on to. I made some G-10scales and the ones I made have a smooth surface and they are pretty grippy themselvs. I think the reason G-10 was used instead of FRN on the Manix knives is grip, not that FRN wouldn't handle the hard use.

Anyway, I think the FRN will grow on you like you said and won't let you down. Congrats on the D'fly2.

Jack