Need Opinions on Strange UPS Question

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Wolverine666

Need Opinions on Strange UPS Question

Post by Wolverine666 »

So here's the deal : Just last week I was talking with my buddy who is a knife enthusiast like myself (like all of us) and he was telling me that last month he ordered a knife online from a reputable knife site and selected UPS 2nd Day Air delivery. He ordered on a Wednesday morning and the knife was expected to reach him by Friday. All the way up until Friday evening the UPS tracking site said "In Transit , On Time". Until @ 6 pm when the status suddenly changed to "Rescheduled" for delivery on Monday. After he contacted UPS (on Friday night) to see what was going on , UPS told him that they "have no reason for the delay". Hmmm.

Now that's a bummer but that's not what got my attention. This is : The knife was delivered on that Monday and upon initial inspection of the knife my friend saw that it had clearly been used and/or carried. There were slight wear marks on the handle around the clip and the blade had dirty finger prints all over it. Not to mention that there was some residual material around the edge of the blade that had been cut with the knife.

That being said , he swears up and down that the knife site he ordered from is fantastic and he has done business with them for years so he does not think that it was the fault of the knife site that te knife had been used. He thinks that maybe someone working at UPS saw that is was a package from a knife site and decided to "accidentally misplace" the package so that they could use the knife for the weekend. Does this really happen ?

So now I just ordered a knife on Wednesday morning and the same exact thing has happened to me. It was "In Transit , On Time" all the way up to Friday evening. Then it was mysteriously delayed and UPS could not give me a reason why when I called them. Now I am upset and concerned. Do you guys think that UPS would really open a package and use it before delivering it ? Or is this whole theory just crazy ? I'm very close to ordering another (duplicate) knife because the thought of someone using and handling MY NEW KNIFE enrages me. What do you guys think ?

Please advise. Thanks.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't think so. How would they know what is in the package for them to open it up to use it?

I would suspect that where they bought it from did something with it, but leaving dirty fingerprints on it and cutting something with it seems odd.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Donut wrote:I don't think so. How would they know what is in the package for them to open it up to use it?

I would suspect that where they bought it from did something with it, but leaving dirty fingerprints on it and cutting something with it seems odd.
Yes , it seems VERY odd. I can't figure this one out. I'm very curious to see the condition of my knife when it gets here on Monday.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It is certainly possible. Any company or government service can have a bad employee, UPS is no exception. At the same time, since many dealers accept returns, there's always the possibility a knife could get put back into stock without a thorough inspection. Most also use non-descriptive return addresses, so only someone "in the know" would know what might be in the box.

My first question would be, did the package your friend received look like it had been opened and resealed? A resealed package would be a red flag to me and, since most knife dealers I've purchased from use packaging that can't be opened and resealed without leaving some fairly obvious signs it's been done, a red flag that would generally be pretty easy to spot.

Even if he didn't notice, I'd recommend you inspect yours before opening it, and photograph it if there's even a hint it might have been tampered with, especially if you live in the same area as your friend and the same UPS personnel could be processing your knife.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

The Deacon wrote:It is certainly possible. Any company or government service can have a bad employee, UPS is no exception. At the same time, since many dealers accept returns, there's always the possibility a knife could get put back into stock without a thorough inspection. Most also use non-descriptive return addresses, so only someone "in the know" would know what might be in the box.

My first question would be, did the package your friend received look like it had been opened and resealed? A resealed package would be a red flag to me and, since most knife dealers I've purchased from use packaging that can't be opened and resealed without leaving some fairly obvious signs it's been done, a red flag that would generally be pretty easy to spot.

Even if he didn't notice, I'd recommend you inspect yours before opening it, and photograph it if there's even a hint it might have been tampered with, especially if you live in the same area as your friend and the same UPS personnel could be processing your knife.
Yes we live @ three miles apart. This is very disheartening but I suppose it is a real possibility. Bad eggs are everywhere. I will def inspect my knife's packaging thoroughly before opening. Can't stand the thought of some clown handling my new blade. GRRRR !!!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I believe UPS is as reputable a company as there is. It boils down to the people involved in each and every incident. When a package gets delivered a day early I'd think someone stayed at work for 1 extra minute and got the package on a truck that wouldn't have gotten on a truck until the next day according to a standard schedule. Thanks to that person.

Flip side. I KNOW that sometimes employees at UPS open the packages. The number of times it happens is very, very, very low I'm sure. Most people are honest deep down. Most employees don't work at UPS because they LOVE the work. I mean they wouldn't do it as a hobby. So, they wouldn't open a package. It might get them fired they they would have to find another job and as I understand it UPS is a pretty good job as jobs go. Then there will be the occasional person who doesn't care or is just too stupid to weigh the consequences of his actions. When I get a package from Cutlery Shoppe I can tell where it comes from by the label.

If you guys live 3 miles apart I'd bet at least the truck driver is the same person and the packages come through the same location. If yours is questionable, I'd drive to the UPS office and talk to someone. If not completely satisfied I'd put in a formal complaint. Or just file a complaint. Going in person might be anti-productive. Plus, UPS as a whole is probably less concerned about what happens to one employee than it is it's reputation so if your friend files a complaint they will inspect the package, contents and at least do the right thing financially. I believe that. If they find out who opened the package I'm sure he'd get fired. Actually he screwed his employer, the one who puts groceries on his table more than he screwed your friend. If I was UPS, I'd take that personally and fire the guilty person. It's definately a screwed up situation.

Jack
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

To use your word, yes, I think it's a crazy theory. :) Do packages sometimes get stolen in transit? Sure. Would someone in the chain of delivery be able to ID a package as having a knife inside, then "borrow" the package for a day, open it and use the knife, then reseal it and put it back into the delivery chain? :confused: That seems extremely improbable. :o

I've rarely seen rescheduled deliveries, but it's funny that it seems to happen to you and people in your area. In general terms, what part of the Commonwealth do you live in? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.)
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

Another possibility is that it got delivered to the wrong house and someone not knowing what it was opened it up and handled it.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

JNewell wrote:To use your word, yes, I think it's a crazy theory. :) Do packages sometimes get stolen in transit? Sure. Would someone in the chain of delivery be able to ID a package as having a knife inside, then "borrow" the package for a day, open it and use the knife, then reseal it and put it back into the delivery chain? :confused: That seems extremely improbable. :o

I've rarely seen rescheduled deliveries, but it's funny that it seems to happen to you and people in your area. In general terms, what part of the Commonwealth do you live in? (Urban, suburban, rural, etc.)
It does seem improbable. But not impossible. I watched the progress of my package as it arrived in MA. There was an 11 hour lay over from the time it hit New Stanton ,PA 'til the time it left New Stanton ,PA. The it got to Shrewsbury , MA and stayed there for another 9 hours. What a waste of money for 2nd Day Air. I'm on Cape Cod.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

There are so many explanations--the least likely of which is the most complicated--that an employee of UPS stole the box, removed it from facility, opened a box, used the knife, put the knife back into packaging, resealed the box, snuck it back into facility, put it back into the delivery stream.

The simplest explanation is that the knife was a return to the dealer and somebody there screwed up and put it back into stock. Along the same lines, manufacturer could have sent out a dirty knife. It happens.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

I think it is difficult to opine without knowing who the reputable dealer is.
However, I rank UPS as the worst carrier compared to FedEx and USPS. They are slow and very unreliable.
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

captnvegtble wrote:Another possibility is that it got delivered to the wrong house and someone not knowing what it was opened it up and handled it.
I'd call this a very plausible explanation. I also believe the OP's theory isn't too far fetched, and that's mainly due to the fact that there was an 'unexplained' change in the package's delivery status. But in the end, I suspect no one will even know what really happened. Next time the UPS guy delivers something, look for any evidence of him carrying a knife, , , to see if he is a knife guy. Not that this will change or prove anything. Sorry for the bad situation.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I think to put my mind at ease I will just order another knife using a different carrier from a different knife site. Maybe I will try Cutlery Shoppe. Everyone here here seems to swear by them. Do they offer expedited shipping ? I will investigate.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

No one would steal a knife temporarily...steal it and then return it into the delivery stream. Anyone willing to take that very serious risk would just keep the knife and reduce the chances of being caught by 50%.

It's odd that anyone living in eastern MA would regularly see delivery rescheduling.

If you order from CS, I'd make sure you contact Jeff and get a clear understanding about shipping timing.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

SQSAR wrote:I'd call this a very plausible explanation. I also believe the OP's theory isn't too far fetched, and that's mainly due to the fact that there was an 'unexplained' change in the package's delivery status. But in the end, I suspect no one will even know what really happened. Next time the UPS guy delivers something, look for any evidence of him carrying a knife, , , to see if he is a knife guy. Not that this will change or prove anything. Sorry for the bad situation.
The delay is happening further up the delivery chain - the local delivery person couldn't be the cause of the rescheduling.
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

Well I am borderline fanatical about stuff like this so I just contacted the shipper and told them to track the package on the UPS site and change the delivery option to "return to sender". This has become too much of a headache and I will always have some doubt in the back of my mind. I'm just gonna order a new knife from another knife site using another carrier. Problem solved. Thanks to everyone for your input. :spyder: Spyderco 4 life !!!
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I agree, the employee would just steal it. It would be pretty stupid and risky to pack it back up all dirty and deliver it.

I've had packages rescheduled before too, and never any signs of tampering.
:bug-red-white
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

UPS is getting on my nerves lately. Rushed shipping seems to be becoming shady as of late. Especially when going through UPS. Next day air becomes 2+ days, 2 day becomes four or five....what the **** am I paying extra money for? It makes me feel like standard shipping would take 2 weeks. I just got my Sage 1 this past week. Ordered from knifeworks (thank you for still shipping to NY) on a thursday afternoon with 2 day. I knew I wouldnt get it in two because they dont ship saturdays and sundays, so I figured it come monday. Got confirmation it was shipped out on friday around dawn. Ok so day 1, should come late monday. Nope, late tuesday it comes. Does 2 day means arrives on 2nd day or does this mean itll take at least 2 full days (48hrs) before you can even expect it at the door? Another time I ordered something from HBO shop and did next day air because I needed it for a friends birthday. Ordered it late wednesday, didnt arrive till monday. One day I feel like Im going to order two things, one rush, one ground and see which comes first.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Wolverine666 wrote:I think to put my mind at ease I will just order another knife using a different carrier from a different knife site. Maybe I will try Cutlery Shoppe. Everyone here here seems to swear by them. Do they offer expedited shipping ? I will investigate.
I get my package from them with USPS Priority in two days. I really don't know why one would pay for UPS 2-day when Priority flat rate is 2-3 days max coast to coast.
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

LorenzoL wrote:I get my package from them with USPS Priority in two days. I really don't know why one would pay for UPS 2-day when Priority flat rate is 2-3 days max coast to coast.
Really it ships that fast? I thought it took longer. Could of saved myself 10 dollars when I ordered from knifeworks and probably would of got my knife saturday or monday instead of tuesday. Honeslty the best service I ever had was USPS express mail, I think thats what its called. But they ship fast and they deliver to your house prior to 12 noon. But I guess Ill be going with usps from now on.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.