Why is no one talking about the Dialex Junior?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

This is one that I've been having a hard time warming up to. Mainly because the blade shape isn't my favorite. But... seeing these pictures, it's smaller than I thought it was (which is good). I'm sure the Junior will grow on my like most Spydies, and I'll end up ordering one eventually. But for now, there are still a few others ahead of it on my list.
:bug-red-white
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Any chance that someone could get a measurement from the inner most point of the "choil" to the end of the handle?
I thought about that myself. It looks like the end of the handle may hit the palm somewhere near the middle of a larger hand.

Jack
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Infinite Zero wrote:The Dialex Junior and Native 5 were both released the same day. While the Native 5 has threads all over the place, the Junior has had next to none.
I love my Native5. I had few previous models and variants. I love the look and found ergos just fantastic. Junior doesn't make me exited, my friend bought one and commented that grip doesn't feel secure for large hand. I do not use all my knives, but at least I want have ones, which will be comfortable. Hopefully will handle one soon, my be this will change how I feel. Still I cannot imagine that Junior can beat FFG Native in my book.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

jackknifeh wrote:I thought about that myself. It looks like the end of the handle may hit the palm somewhere near the middle of a larger hand.

Jack
Exactly...I was going to visit my local tomorrow and see if they had any in, but it doesn't look like they do. So a measurement would at least give me an idea.
On the hunt for...
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

I'm too busy liking it to write about it, it will be a sleeper just like the PPT.
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

From the end of the choil to the end of the handle is 1.5 inches roughly. Hope that helps.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

There are half a dozen threads on this forum about the Junior, so I wouldn't say nobody's talking about it. Any time two or more new models hit the street almost simultaneously there's bound to be more interest in, and thus more posting about, one than the other. In this case, as already noted, the Native has a dedicated fan base. An improvement of a popular lock and a somewhat uncommon steel may further add to that interest,. On the other hand, the Junior is aimed primarily at a specific group, which will be somewhat limited since not everyone interested in knives has kids ready, or nearly ready, for their first knife and not everyone who does will consider the Junior suitable. On top of that, some of those who are interested may be waiting until a birthday or other special occasion is close to purchase it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Hey, Paul, and I thought the Junior was aimed at me!

Infinite, thanks for the excellent comparison photos!
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
Infinite Zero

Post by Infinite Zero »

The Junior really is a full-sized knife. It's basically the same size as the Sage. It may have been designed as a first knife, but it's clearly not just for that purpose.
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

I absolutely love the design. It is hands down one of the most original and fundamentally different knives to come out in years.

It just needs a 4" blade or ZDP-189 to appal to me, I'm getting really picky about these things lately.
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

I've not bought one yet but I think I will really like it when I handle it. I wanted a Gayle Bradley first so I spent money on that.

Seems like it will be a great "medium size" EDC knife. I really dig the blade and the handle. Great overall package.

I just don't like the large comical "DIALEX" tag on the back of the blade. Instead of a designer logo it looks kinda like a word drawn with crayons. Easily could have been 1/2 the size it is.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Joshua J. wrote:I absolutely love the design. It is hands down one of the most original and fundamentally different knives to come out in years.

It just needs a 4" blade or ZDP-189 to appal to me, I'm getting really picky about these things lately.
Similar to my feeling, I would like to have seen it be just a little bit harder. It's just shy of being the size I wanted, maybe a half inch blade and handle would have have it really ideal for me. And VG-10 I think is perfectly good for this knife.

and I think placemen more than size on the markers mark. I have no problem with that, just would like it placed closer to the spine or even vertically along the ricasso.
On the hunt for...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

After looking at and thinking about this knife I see two things I like. The placement of the index finger being farther back than on a knife with a 50/50 choil allows for more edge length. Also the depth of the index finger place results in a thin handle between the finger and thumb. I remember liking that on my Kiwi (much smaller of course). But, with the hand so far back on the handle I wonder if the handle would feel long enough. Wouldn't the handle reacking all the way to the back of the hand provide a better grip? Probably have to hold one to know that for sure.

It looks like this knife is unique enough that if you like it, the Juniour could be a life long friend.

Jack
SQSAR

Post by SQSAR »

David Lowry wrote:I've not bought one yet but I think I will really like it when I handle it. I wanted a Gayle Bradley first so I spent money on that.

Seems like it will be a great "medium size" EDC knife. I really dig the blade and the handle. Great overall package.

I just don't like the large comical "DIALEX" tag on the back of the blade. Instead of a designer logo it looks kinda like a word drawn with crayons. Easily could have been 1/2 the size it is.
I agree, the oversized "DIALEX" just doesn't work for me. It makes the knife (that is fine in every other way) look like a cheap department store knife. If you look at the designer marks of other knives, this one sure stands out as gaudy, whereas the other's are subtle and very professional looking, like the Para2 for instance.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I know it's a niche intended knife but...

* intriguing design/ergos
* WIDE leaf blade
* 2.8 Oz g10
* compression lock

No offense to the kids out there, but they can get the dull SAK I had growing up. This one will definitely be for the kid at heart :p .
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Blerv wrote:I know it's a niche intended knife but...

* intriguing design/ergos
* WIDE leaf blade
* 2.8 Oz g10
* compression lock

No offense to the kids out there, but they can get the dull SAK I had growing up. This one will definitely be for the kid at heart :p .
I think what you were getting at is something like this, or this is what I thought of:

When I was a kid I didn't get the cream of the crop of adult stuff. My pocket knife was an inexpensive one. My Dad just made sure it was as safe as a knife could be. My tennis shoes were Keds. Remember the ones that made you run faster and jump higher? :rolleyes: Converse were really nice (the canvas ones). Then I found myself paying $100+ for my son's shoes when he was still in the house. Then in high school only a few kids got a car on their 16th BD. My first car was a graduation from HS present. And I had to get fairly decent grades to get that. :eek: I remember the first time I brought a D home on a report card. My dad said "You're doing better son, have a beer." :D I'm kidding. Now days kids are getting the grown up stuff at a much younger age. I won't even mention make-up on girls (and some guys :confused :) .

Jack
PS edit: Sorry, got off the subject.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Oh I hear ya Jack :) !

I'm very sure this will be given to youth. Very glad it will...what a GREAT gift!

Just wanted to makes sure the other folks didn't miss the features. It's not gimmicky but rather a serious player.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Yeah, I wonder why the "Dialex" isn't about the same size as it was on the Adventura?

I'm sure it wouldn't bother me too much, but it is unnecessarily large and a bit of a turn off.

I can tell I'm already warming up to the Junior. I might end up ordering one very soon after all.
:bug-red-white
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I ordered one this morninig, so hopefully it will arrive before the end of the week. I really like how the design pretty much maximizes the amount of blade relative to the overall length of the knife, coupled with the lack of blade choil.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
grimace

Post by grimace »

I too can't help but compare the Junior to the Native 5 (even though I think they are nothing alike) because they were released almost the same day. I picked up both and although I will admit the Native is a much better knife, the Junior is the one I like more.

The Junior is very unique, whereas I find the Native boring. The Native is the best at what it is, but its still a tired back lock design to me. So I will focus on the Junior for here on.

Pros. 1) The design is great. It allows for a good grip and control, while protecting your fingers as much as possible. 2) It also allows the entire blade to have an edge. When you compare the blade length of the Junior to other knives, definitely keep in mind that the Junior's blade is all edge; its fantastic. 3) The clip is the strongest Spyderco clip I have had. Yes, it is not a deep carry, but I will take that trade off to get a clip this strong. For its intended audience of a young kid, its strength is a huge plus.

Cons. 1) Its too expensive. I have no idea why the Junior is more expensive than the Native 5. The Native has a super steel, its made in the USA, and its fit & finish is much better, but yet the Junior costs more. I just don't get it. 2) The Junior's handle is cramped for me. I have large hands, but not overly large. I can get all 4 fingers on the handle, but it's not comfortable. For a kid, I would think it would be fine, but for an adult, it needs to be a little longer. 3) The compression lock is difficult. This is my first compression lock and it's not easy to operate for me. Maybe I just need time with it, but for now, it’s hard to disengage and almost impossible to close one handed without pushing the blade against something to close it. Again, maybe I just need to learn the best way to close it. 4) The fit & finish of mine is not great. The blade is not centered. There is a significant gap between the G-10 and the liner on one side. And It was downright dirty out of the box. Maybe the seller had taken it out and handled it, it was supposed to be new though.

So there are more cons than pros, but you know what? I don’t care. This knife is great, it’s exciting, and I love it. I highly recommend it. I will probably end up selling my Native 5, but I expect to carry the Junior for a long time.