New Bostn Knife Laws?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cckw

New Bostn Knife Laws?

Post by cckw »

City Council in Boston talking about "a public safety issue that needs to be addressed" Buck knife and locking blades mentioned by name in this interview.

When the dust settle maybe Spyderco can introduce a model called the Boston. It would be like one of the sewing seam rippers like grandma had.

http://http://www.theblaze.com/stories/ ... ife-sales/
Drkknight614

Post by Drkknight614 »

Its ridiculous right? Ive been following this at kniferights.org and their facebook page. These people dont understand that this does not work. They live in these fake worlds to be honest. You have these politicians who have security detail, making decisions to strip things away from civilians that give them protection. What the **** do they know? Predators are no different then predators in the animal kingdom. They go after the weak. If someone sees you with a holster at your side, or approaches you and you whip out lets say, your military, they are going to think twice about what they are doing, without a doubt. They want to go in fast, easy, and get away with what they wanted unharmed. How often do you see lions going after healthy adult elephants or rinos? They armed, and its very likely the attacker will be hurt or killed.
Manix 2 DLC, Delica 4 FFG, Ladybug 3,County Comm H1 Ladybug 3 , Endura 4 FFG G10, C94 UKPK Leaf, Atlantic Salt, Military Camo DLC,Sage 1 Para 2 DLC, Delica 4.
geardog32

Post by geardog32 »

That is ludicrous, knifes are not weapons, they are tools. They could be used as weapons, but so could just about anything with enough imagination.

BREAKING NEWS: Boston Outlaws Sales of Socks And Locks At Same Time.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Knives are not wepons. They are tools that perform a job. Its not the tool that changes just the job it performs. Everyone needs tools to make their jobs easier. Imagine a mechanic without a wrench. Good luck fixing anything. So glad I live in the south.
Waco

Post by Waco »

I guess people aren't kidding when they say that "everything is illegal in Massachusetts". Last I heard, knives were illegal in prison, but it hasn't stopped the criminals from stabbing each other with sharp objects. It's human nature to take away things whenever people misbehave, because it seems easier than changing the bad guys' behavior. Eventually, we won't be allowed to have anything but sporks and safety scissors.
cckw

Post by cckw »

Seriously, I like to take things that other people say or do and try to honestly put myself in their shoes and try to imagine their thought processes. It's actually a fun intellectual exercise.

On this one there are 3 things I can think of, #1 they like to pass laws and limit freedom out of general contempt #2 (overlaps with #1) They think 'those people" (outside their circles) are just stupid. #3 they know nothing else other then to look at the symptom/issue and deal with the superficial details.

In this cast mostly 3, a lot of 2 and a little of 1.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

We elect and pay legislators to make laws, then are at least occasionally surprised and/or offended when they respond to the demands of a small but vocal group to "do something" about something, generally by banning/restricting/licensing something. Sometimes the resulting laws "do it right" by penalizing anti-social or irresponsible and dangerous behavior, but often they do it wrong by demonizing an object.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Slash

Post by Slash »

Politicians will be politicians and if someone is injured /killed with a **** pencil they'll talk about outlawing them as well...

Some people just have little sense.
BAL

Post by BAL »

One problem is that we elect and pay politicians to make laws, but the problem is that most times new laws don't need to be made, existing ones just need to be enforced.
Politicians seem to be working to get re-elected, not working to do the right thing. A little common sense wouldn't hurt our society.
Glock27

Post by Glock27 »

Liberalism on display!
We're moving the other way in MO. Concealed carry, suppressors all became legal here recently.

G27
"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." - Will Rogers
Waco

Post by Waco »

Glock27 wrote:We're moving the other way in MO. Concealed carry, suppressors all became legal here recently.
Cool! I grew up in MO. At the time, open carry was legal, but I can only think of one guy who did that.
DrChimRichalds

Post by DrChimRichalds »

If knife sales are restricted in this god forsaken Liberal haven called Massachusetts, that's going to be the final straw. I don't think they can make many more things illegal. For Christ's sake, SLINGSHOTS are illegal in this state. And furthermore, you need a license to carry pepper spray? Are you kidding?

We've had a ban on Automatic weapons since Septmember of 1993. If is illegal to possess, transfer or purchase any Assault weapon or large capacity ammunition feeding device since then. We're limited to magazines that only carry a maximum of 10 rounds. A rifle in Massachusetts may only have one of the following: Pistol grip, flash hider, collapsible stock, grenade launcher, or a bayonet. If you have more than one of these evil things on your rifle, expect a hasty prison sentence. Obtaining a Class A license in this state has become almost impossible in some communities, and is almost discouraging me in submitting my own application.

Anyway, back on subject. Like a few others have already stated, knives are not weapons. Knives are tools. They are detrimental in everyday tasks and even more-so in an emergency scenario. Granted, they can be used as weapons, but can't ANYTHING be used a a weapon? What's next to be criminalized in Massachusetts? Pencils and ballpoint pens? Desks with sharp corners? It's fucking ridiculous.

I read somewhere once that statistically a person can walk into a room and find eight things (average) that he or she could use as a "knife." Mind you, that's the AVERAGE. I also read an outstanding quote on this forum last night that has almost immediately made it into personal signatures on a couple other forums I belong to. It applies directly to the subject of this thread:

"What happens when a society demonizes knives? Fewer people carry them. What happens then when knives are needed in a emergency? Fewer people survive."
hunterseeker5

Post by hunterseeker5 »

Apparently people in this state don't watch enough NCIS
Waco

Post by Waco »

DrChimRichalds wrote:For Christ's sake, SLINGSHOTS are illegal in this state.
You could put someone's eye out with one of those.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

DrChimRichalds wrote:If knife sales are restricted
If you watch the interview or read the agenda, you'll see that there is no suggestion of restricting knife sales, only requiring registration of sellers, and then only within Boston City Limits. Not saying this is a good thing, only that the sky isn't falling,..., yet :)
Waco

Post by Waco »

2cha wrote:If you watch the interview or read the agenda, you'll see that there is no suggestion of restricting knife sales, only requiring registration of sellers, and then only within Boston City Limits.
In TX, that would include all department stores, sporting goods stores, most grocery and convenience stores, auto parts stores, motorcycle shops..... Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if the book stores sell pocket knives.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Is this the will of most of the people? If not.:
Maby you should join the Boston Tea Party and kick the SOB's out.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

2cha wrote:If you watch the interview or read the agenda, you'll see that there is no suggestion of restricting knife sales, only requiring registration of sellers, and then only within Boston City Limits. Not saying this is a good thing, only that the sky isn't falling,..., yet :)
Amigo, your silly insistence on actually reading and thinking about what was reported really spoils everyone else's chance to fulminate without taking the time to address the facts. :eek: :p :D
monsterdog

Post by monsterdog »

They don't want to be left behind by modern European-like cities such as New York and Philadelphia. Its all about image, and anti knife/weapon laws are on just the ticket these days.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Problem is, by the Councilmen's own admission, the crimes are being committed with knives which are legal to sell and are being sold to people who are not legally prohibited from purchasing them. Aside from producing revenue, licensing knife dealers without either restricting what type knives can be sold, or who it can purchase them. So, once it's obvious that the new law has zero impact on crime, phase 2 is sure to follow.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!