How long until the Cobalt Special Mule is disco'd?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
DCDesigns

How long until the Cobalt Special Mule is disco'd?

Post by DCDesigns »

It seems like this thing is taking forever to sell out, I think its been out since February for petes sake! Seems to me to be the most unpopular mule yet!

Just wondering if anyone had any idea how many are made in a mule run, and how long the Cobalt will still sell.

Ive been thinking of buying one to regrind and modify, since it'd be 420 j2 that you are working on, a lil easier than some super steel IMO.

To be honest, I expected the M390 one to sell out by now as well...
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

It has been around a while and I'm also surprised the M390 is still available. Technically, we can consider the Cobalt Special as discontinued already, as the one run is all they will make and now they are just selling off the remaining inventory. I imagine it will still sell until Spyderco runs out of stock, however long that may be. I'm not sure how many were made (Spyderco usually just says from 600-1000 IIRC, but doesn't usually offer specifics on individual runs).

This is purely speculation, but the Mules may not have sold quite as quickly because the economy is down (less disposable income for people to spend) and there have been so many new models and sprints this year that those knives are using up people's knife funds.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jabba359 wrote: This is purely speculation, but the Mules may not have sold quite as quickly because the economy is down (less disposable income for people to spend) and there have been so many new models and sprints this year that those knives are using up people's knife funds.
I could see that, I also think its because Cos is an odd ball steel... M390 should be gone by now I agree. I frantically got funds together 2 weeks ago expecting it to be gone FAST, oh well. I love the m390 BTW, I think it may not have the same popularity some of the crucible steels enjoy. May account for the slow selling...
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I'd like a CoS but I can't afford it :o jabba makes a good point which rings true for me :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

dbcad wrote:I'd like a CoS but I can't afford it :o jabba makes a good point which rings true for me :)
yea, isnt it one of the most expensive yet? I dont think we will see any cobalt special sprint runs... :rolleyes:
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I wonder if Spyderco is waiting on these runs to sell out before launching Mule Team #12? If so, let's dig in and pick up those last few blades, mateys!

TedP

EDIT: OK, I just did my duty. I ordered one more M390 Mule. It will make a dandy Christmas present after I shod it with some micarta scales. :-)
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
radz

Post by radz »

phillipsted wrote:I wonder if Spyderco is waiting on these runs to sell out before launching Mule Team #12?
I don't think this is the case.

When the Mule M390 came out the previous 2 mules were still available briefly.

It seems to me when a new Mule comes out it causes a run on older Mules. I know for me, being international, it works out much cheaper if I buy a few in one order.
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

I feel I've done my part cause I already got two of the M390 Mules. Love that steel. Thought they would be sold out before now for sure. I guess a lot of people don't really know how great M390 is. Looking forward to getting the M390 Para 2 next year.
Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).