Halpern Titanium Limited Edition Grips for the Spyderco Mule Team - Mule Projects!

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Monkeywrangler wrote:The opt 4 feel larger in the hand? I wouldn't have guessed that. I have a set of #4 ranger green on the way, and a set of #4 black too. I missed out on their last set of natural #4's.
The largest in the hand, and 'blocky' feeling are the Option 3, in full thickness. But, they also offer/offered a slim Option 3, in Grey, which are pretty nice.

The Option 4 are the probably my favorite overall.

The Option 1 are still nice, and the smallest in the hand.

I hope that helps, I may have 'mis-spoken' in my earlier post.

Kind Regards,
Marion
Marion David Poff
Ben_1323

Post by Ben_1323 »

Does anyone know the sizes of the hardware for the Option 1 grips?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marion,

You're welcome on our end.

But we must thank you for your efforts, pictures and follow up.

While there are some that enjoy making handles for Mule Teams, there are many that would like to just "handle the **** things and go cut". Your efforts help Mule Team users, Spyderco and Les & Marianne Halpern (Great people, a lttle nuts, but great :p )

We use their handles on our test knives which are all lined up in the kitchen with different color handles for personal testing.

sal
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

Just a followup note--I got a set of Ranger Green Option 4 scales for my MT06. They're great! I love the texture, and the ergonomics. The fit is very good along the edges too. They do not feel large or blocky in my small hands. I am VERY happy with the option 4 scales for the Mule series.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
Marion David Poff
Banned

sal wrote:Hi Marion,

You're welcome on our end.

But we must thank you for your efforts, pictures and follow up.

While there are some that enjoy making handles for Mule Teams, there are many that would like to just "handle the **** things and go cut". Your efforts help Mule Team users, Spyderco and Les & Marianne Halpern (Great people, a lttle nuts, but great :p )

We use their handles on our test knives which are all lined up in the kitchen with different color handles for personal testing.

sal

Sal,

You are welcome.

It has been a real treat working with Halpern, and I really like being able to contribute to the board this way.

Color coding, smart...

Thank you again.

Kind Regards,
Marion
Marion David Poff
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

I just got a set of opt. 4 black and earth brown scales, and really like how they feel in hand. My question to O.P. is how do you get the scales to the original color? I would like to use them in the kitchen so something food safe.
Thank you for posting about these scales, I'm not skilled like some of the other forum members to make my own.

Thanks
Kevin
Marion David Poff
Banned

Spydie-50 wrote:I just got a set of opt. 4 black and earth brown scales, and really like how they feel in hand. My question to O.P. is how do you get the scales to the original color? I would like to use them in the kitchen so something food safe.
Thank you for posting about these scales, I'm not skilled like some of the other forum members to make my own.

Thanks
Kevin
Well, I don't know quite what you asking for, so I will just throw some information out....

The 'original' color from Halpern is a bit 'powdery' due to machining, they would be richer looking if polished. To get that color, a good detergent would do the trick to strip the surface of any oils.

I dose all my scales with mineral oil, which gives the scales a bit more richness. Mineral Oil is food safe, though if you were to each a bunch of it, it might loosen you up a bit....

I hope that answers the question, if not, let me know, and I will make another stab at it. And thank you for your kind words.

Kind Regards,
Marion
Marion David Poff
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question but you did answer it.
(I was refering to the color of the g10 prior to being machined.)
Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it.
Kevin
mrbladedude

Post by mrbladedude »

Anyone got any pics of the combo colors they now offer?
kens73

Post by kens73 »

I'd like to see some pics of the NEW option 5 scales.
Lost count ... :spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Super Blue Lover
mongatu

Post by mongatu »

Spydie-50 wrote:Sorry if I wasn't clear with my question but you did answer it.
(I was refering to the color of the g10 prior to being machined.)
Thanks for your time and help, I really appreciate it.
Kevin
I noticed on the order form (latest version) that the manufacturer recommends using something called TKX All Purpose Lubricant to darken the scales. But mineral oil being food safe (and very inexpensive at any pharmacy) is probably a better choice. The manufacturer also notes they will get darker naturally just through use.

I got rid of the powdery look with my option 4 black scales by just washing them with water and liquid dish washing soap. Even without using mineral oil, I think they're looking ok now.

Peter - My :spyder:'s:
Caly~3.5 (VG-10 & S. Blue); Para2~(20CP~M390~S30v); Military~(M390~S30v); Endura & Delica~4~FFG; Native~(S30v); Caly~Jr.~(ZDP); Manix~2~(M4); Ladybug~3~(VG-10. SE); Mules~(M390).
WalzAaronFFG

Post by WalzAaronFFG »

Excellent review. I want a pair of those scales and I don't even have an MT yet! Great work on those sheaths as well. How much does it cost to make a sheath like that for the MT?
:spyder:Current Spydies:spyder:
Blue Delica 4, Jigged Bone Delica-Orange, G10 Delica, ZDP-189 Delica 4, Tenacious, Caly3 CF, Manix 2 DLC, Para2 Digicam, Sage 3, Sage 1, G-10 Dragonfly, Etched Cricket, Salt, Ladybug ZDP-189, Ladybug White SE, Ladybug Hawkbill Salt, Mule Team 11 - M390 w/ custom kydex sheath

:spyder:En Route:spyder:
Spyderco Navaja
Marion David Poff
Banned

mrbladedude wrote:Anyone got any pics of the combo colors they now offer?
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49548 Post 19

kens73 wrote:I'd like to see some pics of the NEW option 5 scales.
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49548 Post 19, shows the Opt 1, Opt 4, and Opt 5 in Orange.

Video to come...

WalzAaronFFG wrote:Excellent review. I want a pair of those scales and I don't even have an MT yet! Great work on those sheaths as well. How much does it cost to make a sheath like that for the MT?
Thanks! Email me... marion.poff@gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Marion
Marion David Poff