Tasman SE In Orange... Exists

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
CanisMajor

Tasman SE In Orange... Exists

Post by CanisMajor »

Hello all,

Had some fun with RIT dye this morning. I decided to change my Tasman from yellow to orange. Used about 3/4 a bag of powdered Sunshine Orange and left the knife in for about 25-30 seconds. I'm happy with the final result :)

Thanks for looking,
Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

"Your body may be gone, I'm gonna carry you in.
In my head, in my heart, in my soul.
And maybe we'll get lucky and we'll both live again.
Well I don't know. I don't know. I don't know. Don't think so."
- Modest Mouse "Ocean Breathes Salty"
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

That really looks great. Since we all agree there are no stupid question I'll ask this. Did you put the entire "knife" in the die or just the scales? You said "knife". The reason I ask is if it is that easy I'm going to go get some dye. Can you dye darker, even black FRN?

Jack
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Yeah I put the entire knife in. I just held the tip of the blade and moved the knife around in the dye. Took the clip off as well. Don't think you can dye a black handle to any color. If you start with yellow, it will work. Others got OD green and other colors. I'm sure it could have gone darker orange, but I liked the color after about 30 seconds. Just make sure you have something deep enough that can fit the entire handle and some of the blade in. I used a fairly large Mason Jar. Put the powdered dye in, then poured boiling water in the jar till it almost hit the top. Stired with a plastic spoon, then held the knife in. Just be sure to check often so it doesn't get past the color you want.

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

CanisMajor wrote:Yeah I put the entire knife in. I just held the tip of the blade and moved the knife around in the dye. Took the clip off as well. Don't think you can dye a black handle to any color. If you start with yellow, it will work. Others got OD green and other colors. I'm sure it could have gone darker orange, but I liked the color after about 30 seconds. Just make sure you have something deep enough that can fit the entire handle and some of the blade in. I used a fairly large Mason Jar. Put the powdered dye in, then poured boiling water in the jar till it almost hit the top. Stired with a plastic spoon, then held the knife in. Just be sure to check often so it doesn't get past the color you want.

Canis
I wasn't thinking about the steel being H-1. I feel very comfortable using all my Spydercos in rain or water. I drown them in Tuf-Glide when they come out of the box, then normal care after that. I always dry them after I clean them out as soon as I can after I rinse them off. How long does it take for the dye to dry? I would want to dry any excess water as soon as possible with a hair drier. Does the dye not stick to steel at all (blade, lock bar, washers, etc.)?

I'd like to know this but I don't have any light color handles. I'll be getting a Manix 2 with tan G-10 (SOON I HOPE!) but I'm not going to change that knife. So I'll quit thinking about it for now. You really do have a nice looking knife there.

Jack
pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Nice knife! Well done with the orange color, looks great to me.

Jack - you can't dye black frn. Yellow works great, as does white and a few other colors. You can place the whole knife in the solution even if it's not H1, it won't stain any of the steel (just remove the clips so that part of the knife gets dyed). After you get your color, scrub it with a toothbrush and some dishsoap under running water, let it air dry for a while, then hairdryer, then compressed air. If you're going to do it, you should check out my RIT dye thread (I dyed a spyderhawk and ukpk), I posted a brief list of important do's and don'ts. Hope it helps.

And again, nice looking knife! Makes my black pe tasman look so mundane!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2
camokid

Post by camokid »

Where did you get the dye from?
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

pmbspyder wrote:Nice knife! Well done with the orange color, looks great to me.

Jack - you can't dye black frn. Yellow works great, as does white and a few other colors. You can place the whole knife in the solution even if it's not H1, it won't stain any of the steel (just remove the clips so that part of the knife gets dyed). After you get your color, scrub it with a toothbrush and some dishsoap under running water, let it air dry for a while, then hairdryer, then compressed air. If you're going to do it, you should check out my RIT dye thread (I dyed a spyderhawk and ukpk), I posted a brief list of important do's and don'ts. Hope it helps.

And again, nice looking knife! Makes my black pe tasman look so mundane!
Exactly what I did.
camokid wrote:Where did you get the dye from?
I got mine at Hobbly Lobby, but I've heard Target and Wal-mart have it as well.

Thanks for the comments guys

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

Sithus1966

Post by Sithus1966 »

When I did my Spyderhawk in red I took it apart since it was screw construction. I washed it out first to remove any oil before doing the dye job. Did the same to my Ladybug hawkbill.

C05, C05S, C10SRD, C10SBK(x2), C10FPBR, C10GRE, C10FPGR, C11, C11FPBK, C12SBK2, C14 C17 C21, C28BK, C28BK2, C28YL2, C36, C45, C54GPBN, C77, C80GPOR, C81, C81GS, C81GBK2, C85GP2, C86, C86P, C86PET, C90, C94, C95, C106, C109, C116, C122, C123CF, C123, C123GBL, C126(x2), C132GP, C135GP, C136, C137, C138, C140, C142, C146CFP, C148, C158TIP, C161GP, C162, C163PBK, C164GPBN, LBK, LBKII(x2), LYL3HB, LGRE3, MBK, FB20, FB23, FB24SBK, FB31SBK, FBPBK, MT12, MT13, MT16, Woodcraft.
ChrisM

Post by ChrisM »

Looks great, my favorite :spyder: in orange :cool:
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

looks nice.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

:spyder: Will the rit dye rub off in a sweaty hand? :spyder:
More of what does not work will not work. Robin Cooper, Rokudan; Aikikai.

There is great power in the profound observation of the obvious. John Stone, Rokudan; Aikikai
CanisMajor

Post by CanisMajor »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Will the rit dye rub off in a sweaty hand? :spyder:
Don't believe it will, I haven't really done anything with it yet. There is a huge thread of RIT dye Spydercos.

Thanks for the comments guys!

Canis
Dare. Risk. Dream.

pmbspyder

Post by pmbspyder »

Michael Cook wrote: :spyder: Will the rit dye rub off in a sweaty hand? :spyder:
No. But swimming in pools, abrasion, will all wear the dye over time. worst case scenario, re-dye it!
Latest :spyder:: Yojimbo 2