Mule'em once more! Bocote COS-3

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
toomzz

Mule'em once more! Bocote COS-3

Post by toomzz »

Hi guys,

here is my first (and fresh) 'handled' Cobalt special Mule. This time I put more time in shaping the handle to fit nicely in the hand. Bocote-wood, 3 brass-pins (4mm), handles glued, finished with 'Plastic wood' from Rustin and polished up to 2000 grit sandpaper. The burl in the wood is irregular, you could call it somewhat rude, totally not following the lines of the blade.
This disharmony is a harmony itself. When you see beyond that you will see there is ma'ai ;)
This Japanese little sandwich blade will become a favorite EDC, believe me!
I have a second COS-3 on it's way which will be corbied with deep black ebony, so stay tuned, lots of fun with these blanks Sal!

Enjoy & cheers, more pics to come,
Tomas
Attachments
Ash Mule 058.jpg
Ash Mule 058.jpg (84.66 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
Tom
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Second pic: shaped handle-scales...

;)
Attachments
Ash Mule 060.jpg
Ash Mule 060.jpg (90.02 KiB) Viewed 1113 times
Tom
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

you always make such great stuff...
On the hunt for...
Jackson

Post by Jackson »

Beautiful job, I happen to love the burl and it looks like you made a very comfortable handle there.
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Thanks guys so far. One of the goals of this mule was to make a hand-fit scale-set. I can choke the knife in a firm grip, but also release the thumb and index-finger still having a good grip and ergo's and loads of angle's to put the knife in...

:cool:
Tom
angusW

Post by angusW »

Looks like the grain worked out perfectly to the shape of the handle. If you follow the darker lines, they spread out at the fat parts of the handle and come together at the thinner parts. Nice job toomzz. Is the lanyard hole brass as well? Looks like it has a shine to it.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Yep, lanyardtube is brass as well. In some aspects the grain follows the tang, in other parts the grain just goes its way. I think that is the charm of this handle :rolleyes: I love this one!
Tom
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Really nice Toomzz. I like the wood and the mule you selected for that nice piece of wood is a nice one too. I'm surprised that I like the CoS as much as I do after coming off the highlight ( for me) of the mule team program with Super Blue. It's not a letdown at all. It's actually a good performer and has pretty good edge stability and decent wear resistance. It would make a nice lightweight 3-3.5 " EDC knife at high sharpness. It sharpens pretty easily as it will be a breeze to keep maintained in every way.

I wouldn't want to do any Batoning but a 3 to 3.5mm thick blade about 3.5 inches long in FRN or G10 sure would be a tasty slicer. A bigger Caly jr sort of.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
toomzz

Post by toomzz »

Well, the mules are originally designed to be test-knives with every time another fine steel in the consistent same knifeblade. Same thickness, grind, form etc. From that aspect the project is perfect. For the rest I think a mule serves perfect as small EDC FB. Using it everyday gives you the oppertunity to test its abilities in all aspects; slicing, cutting, prying, sharpening, grinding, any thing. That was Sal's intention. What I see know, and what I like, is the forming of some kind of 'Mule-cult'. Strangely enough I don't see this back in Holland/Germany where I live. However you americans get more and more enthousiastic! What did you like about the superblue? And batoning? I don't think that is a good idea.... :rolleyes:

T.
Tom