Amsterdam Meet 2011 Report

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

wow native 5 looks great! nice vid! can't wait for all these new models. i mean that :eek:
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

anyone getting a second job after seeing wouters video's? :rolleyes:

i make good money and i still doubt i can swing it this year!
come on economy, catch up with spyderco's efficiency/energy/productivity will ya?! :mad:
angusW

Post by angusW »

ChrisR wrote:It looks a lovely knife :) but I am disappointed that it has bushings on the pivot because this means that the pivot cannot be over-tightened and it increases the risk that Customs will seize them as gravity knives in the UK. :( Being able to tighten up the pivot has been the only way to convince Customs that the knife is legal in recent years.
When I got my first Manix 2 from a guy in the U.S. he put in a tiny piece of clear plastic, I'm assuming from a clamshell package, in the pivot. It made it very difficult to open. Once the plastic was removed the knife opened with no issues.

Have to agree that the Native 5 is an outstanding looking knife. Curious how much the fluted one will be. The only Native I have is the forum one but I think it's time to get a new one.

Did anyone notice Eric's left hand? Looks like he has stitches between his thumb and trigger finger. Wonder if it's a Spydie bite. I guess if you're in the knife business it's going to happen.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
angusW

Post by angusW »

SmoothOne25 wrote:anyone getting a second job after seeing wouters video's? :rolleyes:

i make good money and i still doubt i can swing it this year!
come on economy, catch up with spyderco's efficiency/energy/productivity will ya?! :mad:
I've actually been thinking of getting a second job the last week just to pay for some Spydies.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I'm waiting patiently until that fluted titanium Native5 hits the market. Hoooo boy, that's nice looking...

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

angusW wrote:When I got my first Manix 2 from a guy in the U.S. he put in a tiny piece of clear plastic, I'm assuming from a clamshell package, in the pivot. It made it very difficult to open. Once the plastic was removed the knife opened with no issues.
That's interesting ... here there is a lot of discussion about how much Customs will alter a knife before testing it - with some of the more legally-minded taking the view that they will probably take tightened pivots to be an attempt to make an illegal knife legal, which is ridiculous because all Spydercos non-autos are legal here and Customs are only seizing them because they can twist the law and make it look like they are seizing contraband ... but that's another story. Another way might be to get the traders to dismantle the knives completely but I'd be worried that then the warranty would be voided.

As a background, the main reason people import from the US directly, rather than buy from the traders in the UK is that knives are available many weeks earlier than they ever get sold here and the range of models available is greater - we often don't get sprint-runs. The traders and importers seem to be a bit slow out of the blocks with new releases and reluctant to stock the full Spyderco product range. Also, there is some small price saving if you import direct, rather than going through the UK channel, but this isn't as important as many think, when you take into account shipping & taxes.
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
Koen Z

Feedback

Post by Koen Z »

Koen Z wrote:Sal and Eric asked us to post our honest opinion about the shown knives. I will try to post my opinion about all knives I handled.

Des Horn Wharncliff folder
I really liked the shape, but I really don’t know what to do with it. The small machined fullers are a great touch. I didn’t like the ergonomics.

Yojimbo 2
Really liked the knife, but I can’t compare it to the Yo1. I can imagine it even has it’s uses as a edc.

Balance SS
-
Chaparral
Wow. A great knife, great ergonomics, an A for looks. The lock cutout is different, I like it.
Dragonfly 2 H1
Really liked the knife, the higher hollow grind is great, as is the wireclip. The wireclip is a pre, and I hope there will be a serrated version.

Native 5
Looks and feels like a great knife. I love the small swedge.

Native 5 Ti
Looks good!

Manix 2 FRN
I found this knife particular interesting, because of the story behind it; we wanted to make the Manix lighter, but keep it tough. I don't understand how Spyderco did succeed with just such a little bit steel around the pivot, but I love it!

Ladybug Tattoo
Looks good, but I will never own one. I don't like SS handles at LBK's, because I like them light.

Dyad Sprint
I liked the knife, but it felt a little loose at the meet. the 'Bypass' backlocks are a nice touch. I would like a clip.

Upgraded Spring for UKPK's.
Nice story, great engineering!

Squeak
Cute, practical knife.

Byrd Tern
Good knife, light, great ergonomics, full flat, wire clip, cheap.. what is not to like?

Szabo Folder
It is a great looking knife. The self closing feature is a necessarily on such a large knife. I like the engineering department 'fight' to get it strong enough, this is innovation!

Fluted Military
For me just a great looking, but heavy milli.

Junior
Looks like a fun knife, but I am not sure if the extreme deep choil is that ergonomic.

Navaja
What can I say? Ed did it again! :D I like the 'Cacacca'.

Tuff
well..
:eek:
it's
hmm
4,5 mil CPM3V, A real fuller...
Thick and short RIL
I love thin and light knives, but this one turns me on! :cool:

SpyLeone
I don't care for this design.

Vallotton Folder
Great design, it really is to the point! Still looks like a custom, and that's a good thing.

Carpenter
The knife's features are great, it looks practical, but somehow I don't like the design.

Techno
I feel the same about the Techno, I just don't like the design. Sorry all of you who love it already :p

Manbug
Looks good and practical, especially the pinned version. Full Flat is great.

Phil Wilson South Fork
This is an ergonomic wonder. I dig the handle, but the blade is a little big for my uses.

Puukko
Great knife, but I am not shure if S30V is the right steel for a zero grind?

Delica Damascus Sprint
I am afraid i like the FFG FRN one more...

Centofante Memory
Very beautiful and practical knife! Spyderco really honors mr Centofante with it.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

Just realised that I haven't done a full summary of my thoughts:
  • Dragonfly 2 H1: a great upgrade - would be nice to see H1 (or similar salt-proof steel) available in all of the major models.
  • Native 5: Never liked the wide swedge on the old Native - love the new Native 5 with small swedge - looks 100% class.
  • Native 5 Ti: Love it - I hate metal handles usually but the grippy, radiating pattern on the handle looks to fix at least one of the major disadvantages of a metal handle.
  • Manix 2 FRN: Love the look of this - it might even be my first Manix :)
  • Ladybug Tattoo: Cute but not for me.
  • Dyad Sprint: Nice but probably not for me - I tend not to go for multi-bladed knives.
  • Upgraded Spring for UKPK's: I have no problem even with the old, softer springs but I think this upgrade is necessary to maintain the popularity of the FRN UKPK model so I am happy.
  • Squeak: An absolute "must have" for me - even my girlfriend wants one. Love the "Chicago" blade shape, love the SLIPIT, love the FRN, love the steel ... what is there not to love about it? :D
  • Byrd Tern: Nice knife - will probably get one - not too sure about the slim blade shape but I'll reserve judgement until I get one in my hands.
  • Szabo Folder: Not for me, sorry - way too wacky but I'm sure it'll appeal to some.
  • Fluted Military: Very nice knife - wish I could justify having one :D
  • Junior: I love this knife, with the deep handle cut-out - I would love it even more if it could be made non-locking :)
  • Navaja: Not really for me - nice design but it doesn't grab me.
  • Tuff: I'll pass on this - nice to see the 3V steel but I just don't have a need for a tank of a folder.
  • SpyLeone: Like the design but probably going to be too expensive for my budget.
  • Vallotton Folder: Really not sure about this - just don't like the big hump / thumb-ramp ... seems wrong for the elongated shape of the blade & handle.
  • Carpenter: Looks a nice exercise but I find the design a bit boring so I'll pass - if it was a SLIPIT I might try it.
  • Techno: ditto the Carpenter.
  • Manbug: Nice little knife but I can't justify a locker on my keyring so I'll probably pass.
  • Phil Wilson South Fork: Not really for me - can't think of a use for it, except maybe the kitchen.
  • Puukko: Looks nice but I will pass.
  • Delica Damascus Sprint: I like this better than the blue jigged bone but the price will probably rule it out for me.
  • Centofante Memory: Really beautiful knife - I'd love to have one of these but I am guessing the price will be a tad out of my budget ;)
All in all, I really think Spyderco continues to hit the nail right on the head. I just can't wait to see the Squeak and test out how it feels as my EDC :)
My spydies: Squeak, Tenacious, Terzuola, D'Allara, UKPK CF peel-ply pre-production, UKPK CF smooth pre-production, UKPK G10 orange leaf-blade, UKPK FRN grey drop-point, UKPK FRN maroon leaf-blade, Bug ... all PE blades :)
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

ChrisR wrote:It looks a lovely knife :) but I am disappointed that it has bushings on the pivot because this means that the pivot cannot be over-tightened and it increases the risk that Customs will seize them as gravity knives in the UK. :( Being able to tighten up the pivot has been the only way to convince Customs that the knife is legal in recent years.
i've never done it, but you could take the bushing out and swipe it on a sharpening stone once or twice on each side to slightly shorten it. this should allow you to tighten the pivot screw and get some extra friction. you can also use some loctite to secure the screw.
ChrisR

Post by ChrisR »

jimnolimit wrote:i've never done it, but you could take the bushing out and swipe it on a sharpening stone once or twice on each side to slightly shorten it. this should allow you to tighten the pivot screw and get some extra friction. you can also use some loctite to secure the screw.
At the risk of a thread-hijack (sorry Wouter!) ... that's a good point ... just trying to think of ways that wouldn't invalidate the warranty and wouldn't lock the blade completely tight. All it needs is for the blade not to be flicked by a fairly strong Customs official :)
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Hey Mr Blonde...did you get a glimpse of the XL Persian...if so,how does it compare to the current full - sized Persian?Handle material?Bolsters?Is it a lot larger than the current full - sized?
Koen Z

Post by Koen Z »

I saw and handled it.It was a lot bigger than the Persian, and bigger than the Milli. Allmost 5''?

It had a blade shape like the Persian, but a negative blade angle, almost like the Massad Ayoob.

I am not sure about the bolsters, but I believe it had no bolsters and a handle made of some kind of wood.

Oh, yes, I fell in love with the hamon, great job on that one mr Schempp!
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Koen Z wrote:I saw and handled it.It was a lot bigger than the Persian, and bigger than the Milli. Allmost 5''?

It had a blade shape like the Persian, but a negative blade angle, almost like the Massad Ayoob.

I am not sure about the bolsters, but I believe it had no bolsters and a handle made of some kind of wood.

Oh, yes, I fell in love with the hamon, great job on that one mr Schempp!
[Drooling begins]
—Daniel Jackson
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

NeverEnough wrote:Hey Mr Blonde...did you get a glimpse of the XL Persian...if so,how does it compare to the current full - sized Persian?Handle material?Bolsters?Is it a lot larger than the current full - sized?
I saw and handled the XL Persian concept model. It's big and heavy. It reminded me a lot of the old Cold Steel Vacquero Grande. The blade seemed to have more of a recurve than the regular Persan. The tip sweeps up more than on the production Persian, creating an almost recurve look to the blade. It's a beautiful custom piece, but also too big and heavy for me to carry or use. Now, if I lived on some farm in the boonies, that's another story. I'd just get a good sheath and started whacking away at anything that needed to be cut! :cool:
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Dragonfly 2 H1: I have a G-2 FRN Dragponfly and a stainless steel ATS-55. I will be buying at least 2 of these new ones if they are priced as I expect.

Native 5: This may be the first Native that fits my hand but I don't see any advantage to my current line up.

Native 5 Ti: Very cool. If I get one in my hand I'll probably want to buy it.

Manix 2 FRN: I like the Manix 2's that I have. I always prefer G-10 to FRN so won't get this unless it pops up as a forum knife.

Dyad Sprint: Too spoiled by Spyderco ergos to want this.

Upgraded Spring for UKPK's: Don't care unless I'm going somewhere where I can't carry a locking knife.

Squeak: This may become a knife I gift to others. Like it but wouldn't use it.

Byrd Tern: I'm too elitist to use Byrds.

Szabo Folder: I'm not an MBC guy, no use for this.

Fluted Military: Very nice but I have too many Militaries already. (I realize this is an incomprehensible sentence for many of you)

Junior: Will probably get this one; would like to have it in my hand before deciding.

Navaja: I might be all over this if not for the Vallotton and the Tuff.

Tuff: I don't like the looks of this at all, which convinces me to buy it since I trust Mr. Schempp and look forward to my befuddlement turning into appreciation. This may finally be the Schempp folder that is a great match for my hand.

SpyLeone: Love the look, question the utility of the blade, cringe anticipating the price - will pass.

Vallotton Folder: First folder that I will order the day it becomes available. I like it so much that the anticipated high price will not phase me.

Carpenter: Doesn't do anything for me and I tend to dislike Ss handles.

Techno: I must have one of these. I love the look.

Manbug: Don't have a Ladybug and won't get this.

Phil Wilson South Fork: I love the style and will definitely get one.

Puukko: I didn't think I'd be tempted by this one but I am. Will probably pass.

Delica Damascus Sprint: Nicest one so far but too expensive for me.

Centofante Memory: Nice and I have some of the C34's, depends on the price.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

The Native 5 looks freaking awesome.
Mr Blonde

Ed Schempp Prototype Video: Navaja

Post by Mr Blonde »

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtJyxO1biWw?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vtJyxO1biWw?fs ... rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 5-30-2024 Instagram
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Greetings fellow forumites....am curious if anyone got to handle the Schempp 'Tuff'...any info reguarding specs for this model would be appreciated...looks to me to be a 'must have'.
You gotta love Mr.Schempp's designs.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Any news about the battle station?
navajasound

Post by navajasound »

Is the blade steel for the Laci Szabo folder chosen ?If they make it with S110V it will be a must have .Well if it is not higher that 300 $ .