mule handle question?

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
jimnolimit

mule handle question?

Post by jimnolimit »

i was thinking about buying halperntitanium mule scales, does anyone have them? are there any other choices for pre-made mule scales/handles?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I don't have any myself, but I've read a lot of posts here by people who do use the Halpern Titanium scales. From the pictures I've seen, they are slightly undersized, leaving a bit of the tang exposed all the way around. I was hoping for something slightly oversized so I could sand them down to fit and have the tang completely covered, but I'm not aware of anyone who makes them that way.
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I have the Option 3 and 4 scales in black. They are slightly undersized, but look good. The Option 3 scales are thin smooth G10 - they almost feel like micarta. Option 4 scales are thicker and textured. I prefer the thinner Option 3 scales myself. The only problem I have is with the Option 4 black scales, as they look more gray than black. I washed them off and they turned black, but once they dried they turned gray again.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Dapurplenurple

Post by Dapurplenurple »

Just got mine in option 4 black and green. The folks at HT recommend TKX all purpose lube to darken them immediately. I used mineral oil on mine and they're holding up just fine.

Yes, they are slightly undersized all around but I honestly don't really notice it at all.

phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I just chatted with the Halpern folks and the Option 3 scales are sold out, and they haven't planned their next run yet. They still have lots of Option 1 and Option 4 scales available.

I've got a couple of sets of Option 4 scales and they are great quality. They fit great, are easy to install (and de-install!). They do darken up nicely with a little rubdown with mineral oil.

TedP
Worry less - Breathe more...

Spydie Fanatic #185
ChapmanPreferred

Post by ChapmanPreferred »

I have option 3 scales from them and I have been pretty happy.
SFO Alumni/Authorized Spyderco Dealer (Startup)
Work EDC List
FRP: Nisjin Cricket PE, Manbug PE, Dragonfly PE
FLP: SS Cricket SE, byrd Flatbyrd CE
BRP: CF Military S90V
BLP: Forum S110V Native
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

Here is my blog, about handles and such for the Mules....

http://muleprojects.blogspot.com/

And here are a couple photo-reviews I did...

Mule Projects Review, Halpern Titanium G-10 Grips *Full Coverage and New Colors*

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43789

Halpern Titanium Limited Edition Grips for the Spyderco Mule Team - Mule Projects!

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45546

Mule Projects - Bunch of New Images with the New Colors of the Option 4 Grips...

http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46906

Enjoy!
Marion
Marion David Poff
tacticooledc

Post by tacticooledc »

How would I go about buying pre-made handles for the mules? Also is spyderco the only one you can buy the mules from?

I'm just getting around to learning about this whole mule thing- noticed its basically the same design as my temperance 2
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I was thinking about getting a mule as well, are there any premade micarta scales that anyone knows about?
On the hunt for...
Marion David Poff
Banned

Post by Marion David Poff »

tacticooledc wrote:How would I go about buying pre-made handles for the mules?
You could contact Halpern Titanium, they sell theirs. Cuscadi sells some. See my review of theirs here.... http://eyeoncutlery.blogspot.com/

Hector Castro, Phillip Dobson, and other make handles... I have some images and information on my blog... http://muleprojects.blogspot.com/

tacticooledc wrote:Also is spyderco the only one you can buy the mules from?
If you mean, 'The' Spyderco Mules, then you can buy them from Spyderco direct, or on the aftermarket, from those who have bought them from Spyderco, and are selling theirs. BladeForums.com, UsualSuspect.Net, JerzeeDevil.com and KnifeForums.com have For Sale boards. And Knife-Bst.com was created by some of the locals from here, to do the buy/sell/trade thing.... Ebay also...

If you mean, 'kit blade' then the options are much larger...

tacticooledc wrote:I'm just getting around to learning about this whole mule thing- noticed its basically the same design as my temperance 2
I don't think I would say 'same', but they are similar, as they are both designs of the head man, Sal Glesser.

Kind Regards,
Marion
Marion David Poff
jimnolimit

Post by jimnolimit »

im thinking about getting the option 1 from halpern, how grippy is the black G10?
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

jimnolimit wrote:im thinking about getting the option 1 from halpern, how grippy is the black G10?
The finish isn't "gloss" but nor is it heavily textured (like option 4/LE). The scales are flat-sided, unlike option 4, which makes for slightly poorer retention.

I haven't had any problems with grip of the cheaper (1, 2, 3's) but I prefer the sculpted and textured option 4. Problem is, they cost twice as much.

In normal use, you aren't going to slip onto the edge due to the sizeable choil.

As above, the scale colour looks washed out unless you rub them over with a suitable lube (beware if you are going to epoxy the scales to the tang!)