CPM10v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

CPM10v?

Post by Evil D »

A guy i know has two blades out of some kind of machine in this steel, we're talking about making some fixed blades out of them. I don't know much about this steel other than the blades are crazy expensive. What's the scoop?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
grumpyphil

Cpm10v

Post by grumpyphil »

I have some experience with this stuff. I worked in a place that made high tolerance chucks (not drill chucks) these things held .000001" TIR. We used CPM10V to replace diamond coated jaws because they were wearing out too fast. These things wre doing 1000's of cycles per hour 24/7 holding carbide cutters while they were being ground. The CPM 10V outlasted the diamond coated jaws better than 10:1. I machined it in the unhardened state and it was a MF'r on tools no matter what we tried. I also had the pleasure of surface grinding it after it had been hardened and I've never experienced anything quite like it. When you ground this stuff, it didn't "hiss" like most stuff, it squeeled! I'm sure if you go to the trouble of finding just the right inserts and wheels to machine and grind it, it's not a big deal. But be prepared.
Aside from that, I believe it's used for blades in the paper industry so that sort of speaks for itself. For sure it's some tough ****.
How all that translates into a regular knife I'm not sure. I've been surprised not seeing it pop up on knives and I'm not sure why other than the difficulty in machining it.
Grumpy
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't seen the blades yet so i'm not sure what i'm getting into. He said they're over $300 a blade though. I'm thinking something simple with a paracord wrapped handle just to see how much of a PITA it is to sharpen and maintain.
~David
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

i am always interested in hearing about new steels, but this one sounds like it could be possibly prohibitively expensive on production equipment. That said, I am always interested in knowing more.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

defenestrate wrote:i am always interested in hearing about new steels, but this one sounds like it could be possibly prohibitively expensive on production equipment. That said, I am always interested in knowing more.
Yeah, but if you build it, they will buy it. I guarantee you if Spyderco put out a knife in this steel it would sell like wild fire even if only in expensive limited batches (well, ESPECIALLY in limited batches). I know Sal mentioned in another thread there was no immediate plans to use it in a knife because it isn't stainless, but if enough demand is there i think a knife will sell at any price given the exotic steel.
~David
Ed Schempp

Phil Wilson

Post by Ed Schempp »

Phil makes an occasional blade out of 10V, I have forged some. It is extremely hard to forge or grind...Take Care...Ed
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Maybe we could see it in a mule??
On the hunt for...
demtek9

Post by demtek9 »

Mike Snody also has made some fixed blades out of the stuff. I've never had one, but heard they are great for holding an edge.
...oh you know why!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:Maybe we could see it in a mule??
I'd be interested in a mule for sure.
~David
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

According to Crucible it's quite a bit more wear resistant than s90v, have fun grinding lol.
butch

Post by butch »

when i use it i grind 99% then HT so all i have ot do is clean up the grinds

i have only seen one steel kill a grinder belt faster and that was cpms125v that phil sent me cause i said i fear no steel

i dont fear it per say but i sure as **** have a new respect for it now
Lloyd R Harner III (Butch)
a step forward
working my way to a licence to drill
http://www.harnerknives.com
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Butch, isn't this basically the non-stainless version of 110V?
Phil Wilson
Location: Northern California in the heart of the Gold Country

Post by Phil Wilson »

JNewell, the best way to think of CPM S10V is that it is A2 with 10% Vanadium. I use it for high wear hunters for guys who hunt pigs and other tough game. I would guess that I have done probably 200 blades with it over the years. It is nice to heat treat and best hardness is 63, 64. With a thin grind it will hold an edge for a very long time and is the standard that I compare all other steels to when I do edge holding tests. It of course is not stainless with 5% chrome but not too bad as long as it is put away dry and oiled for long storage. CPM 15V and CPM 10v were the first CPM steels Crucible made I believe. I have some 15V but can imagine what it would be like to work with based on 10v expericence. Bohler-Uddeholm has a similair grade that I have just started working with. It is called K294 and both that one and 10v are designated as A11 grades. Early on Cliff Stamp did some testing on a 10V knife of mine and I think it is still out there somewhere. Also Ankerson over on BF recently did some testing on a blade of the same design. Phil
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Phil, many thanks for the correction and additional information. Your posts are always educational!

John
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Very cool....care if i ask what a blade in this steel would cost me, or is it one of those thing where if you have to ask then you can't afford it? :D
~David
unit

Post by unit »

I have seen 10V blades (~4 inch fixed blades) go for 220 to 250. The finished blade price will vary considerably due to who makes it, its dimensions, finish, etc.

Some makers produce such beautiful knives that your sentiment (if you have to ask...) probably holds true.

Raw material costs are on the order of CPM-M4 (one of the pricier steels).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I know it can't be cheap considering the blades i'm talking about are over $300, but then they're also a special machine part so that may have something to do with it.
~David
Handwrecker

Post by Handwrecker »

demtek9 wrote:Mike Snody also has made some fixed blades out of the stuff. I've never had one, but heard they are great for holding an edge.
I had one of his shanks in 10V. Very well made knife, and heat treated by Bos, too. While I'm sure that it will hold an edge forever, it seemed like the wrong design for that steel. It had a fat 1/4" blade, that would not get razor sharp no matter how long I sharpened. And it was chisel ground. I've heard something like Phil Wilson's thin hunters are a much better design to showcase 10V's incredible wear resistance. Seems like 3V would be a better choice for a 1/4" combat shank.