Who wants more Chinese-made Spydies? I know I do.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
edge-e

Post by edge-e »

There is nothing wrong with chinese made knives IMO.When their knives are
quality controlled buy a great company like spyderco,but if you don't
know about the history, and are new to knives see the chinese made
stamp on the blade may think they are cheap cheap.... :o
MCM

Post by MCM »

I am finding Dictatorship's and un savory working conditions are alive and well in the world.

Its just too easy to say Americans are lazy and 3rd world countries use slave/child labor.
The truth is somewhere in between.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

I am finding Dictatorship's and un savory working conditions are alive and well in the world.

Its just too easy to say Americans are lazy and 3rd world countries use slave/child labor.
The truth is somewhere in between.

v8r wrote:This is my observation, and take it for what you will. The main reason why some companies have moved manufacturing overseas is due the American people(I am one myself) wanting a incredible wage per hour. Most want lots of money for very little work. There are also Unions which have made it really difficult for a manufacturers to Have competivetly priced products such as the American auto manufacturers for example. Anyone remember how much cars were just 20 years ago?

As a whole the American people have gotten lazy and complacent. Most of us don't want to put forth the effort that our pay grade reflects. We want to make the most for the least amount of effort. This country's founding mothers and fathers made this country by working hard and fighting for what was theirs. I know my grandparents could probably have out worked most people these days when they were in their prime.

I don't mind Chinese made products, as long as a American company has control of the manufacture and quality control. I would love to by all American, but reality tells me this will probably never happen due to the American people not working to their full potential or pay grade.
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

One Resilience and one Ambitious are inbound & en route.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
vic

Post by vic »

i cannot afford golden made :spyder:

i have owned seki made :spyder: in the past but had to sell them and cannot afford then any more

i can afford some spydercos made in china and i can afford byrds. my tenacious has superb fit and finish and my g-10 cara cara (1) is the strongest folder i have ever had and i look forward to owning the frn cara cara 2.

if it wasn't for chinese spyderco's i wouldn't have any
v8r

Post by v8r »

I see it quite often. I run a business and have people applying for a job nearly daily. I have a large turn over rate. Most of the people that apply don't even act or look as if they want a job. I have been told numerous times by applicants " the unemployment office made me come down here and fill out a application". A lot of the ones I do hire don't work out, because they constantly goof off, come in late, don't show up, or are Incapable of following simple directions. The ones that have been with me for quite a few years Are the hard workers that don't goof off, who aren't lazy, and do show up to work on time. These guys do truly deserve to be paid more, and I wish I had the money to pay them more. People like these guys are extremely hard to find these days.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

v8r wrote:This is my observation, and take it for what you will. The main reason why some companies have moved manufacturing overseas is due the American people(I am one myself) wanting a incredible wage per hour. Most want lots of money for very little work. There are also Unions which have made it really difficult for a manufacturers to Have competivetly priced products such as the American auto manufacturers for example. Anyone remember how much cars were just 20 years ago?

As a whole the American people have gotten lazy and complacent. Most of us don't want to put forth the effort that our pay grade reflects. We want to make the most for the least amount of effort. This country's founding mothers and fathers made this country by working hard and fighting for what was theirs. I know my grandparents could probably have out worked most people these days when they were in their prime.

I don't mind Chinese made products, as long as a American company has control of the manufacture and quality control. I would love to by all American, but reality tells me this will probably never happen due to the American people not working to their full potential or pay grade.
Agreed. +1
i have had my job for 19 years. In that time, lots of employees have retired, quit, got promoted, died, etc. I have noticed a sharp decline in the productivity of the people who were hired to replace them. And I will be honest and say that my own productivity has gone down over the years as well. Why should I maintain high standards and work ethics and bust my hump while these new workers basically sit around and do the bare minimum? They hide behind the cloak of the union which pretty much prevents the company from firing their @ss.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

vic wrote:i cannot afford golden made :spyder: i have owned seki made :spyder: in the past but had to sell them and cannot afford then any more i can afford some spydercos made in china and i can afford byrds...if it wasn't for chinese spyderco's i wouldn't have any
If one can afford Byrds and some Chinese :spyder: , one can also afford some of the USA made UKPKs. NGK has a bunch of them on sale for $29.95. They are an amazing value and have changed a lot of people's minds about using non-locking folders.
vic

Post by vic »

Doc Pyres wrote:If one can afford Byrds and some Chinese :spyder: , one can also afford some of the USA made UKPKs. NGK has a bunch of them on sale for $29.95. They are an amazing value and have changed a lot of people's minds about using non-locking folders.
i don't think ngk ship to the UK, please correct if i'm wrong.

and absolutely no offence to anyone but the ukpk as of yet has not charmed me enough to buy one, i admittedly am fickle though and that could change any day.

even though i live in the uk and can only edc non-lockers with a cutting (not blade) length of 3 inches or less i still prefer to own lockers for my pleasure and enjoyment even if i can't carry them without a viable reason.

i usually edc saks because most cops here would not accept that a ukpk was legal even when the lack of a lock is demonstrated to them (sounds stupid but believe me it happens a lot)

having said all that i do think the ukpk frn is a very good knife and somewhere down the road i may well try one

edit: also where you say that these slipits "have changed a lot of people's minds about using non-locking folders" i would say that anyone who is legally able to carry a locker and chooses a slipjoint over it is, well i don't know but i certainly wouldn't choose to eschew a lock if i had the choice (having been confined to carrying non-lockers for a long time i recognize the serious disadvantages of not having such a nice safety feature as a lock).

again that is no criticism of the ukpk in itself, just our knife laws
Doc Pyres

Post by Doc Pyres »

vic wrote:i don't think ngk ship to the UK, please correct if i'm wrong.
PM sent. :)
vic

Post by vic »

Doc Pyres wrote:PM sent. :)
received and replied to

many thanks to you sir
vic

Post by vic »

Doc Pyres wrote:If one can afford Byrds and some Chinese :spyder: , one can also afford some of the USA made UKPKs. NGK has a bunch of them on sale for $29.95. They are an amazing value and have changed a lot of people's minds about using non-locking folders.
i'll also say that $29.95 is a beautiful price for that ukpk. they are £43.95 here in the UK, that's £

man i wish we had some stores like NGK's and other great sites that i know of in the US here in the UK
mule skinner

Post by mule skinner »

they can keep them
v8r

Post by v8r »

Jay_Ev wrote:Agreed. +1
i have had my job for 19 years. In that time, lots of employees have retired, quit, got promoted, died, etc. I have noticed a sharp decline in the productivity of the people who were hired to replace them. And I will be honest and say that my own productivity has gone down over the years as well. Why should I maintain high standards and work ethics and bust my hump while these new workers basically sit around and do the bare minimum? They hide behind the cloak of the union which pretty much prevents the company from firing their @ss.
The reason why I hold myself to a higher standard is for my own personal satisfaction, not anyone else's. Honestly I don't care what most people think of me, all I know is I go home at night knowing that I did a job to the best of my ability.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
sal

Post by sal »

Hi V8r,

I have to say that there are many very good workers in the US with very high standards. We are proud of our crew at Spyderrco. We went through hundreds of people over a 25 year period before collecting the 40+ crew that had the "right stuff" for our company and culture, but we really have a very high percentage of exceptional people.

Working to "the best of your ability" is the best there is. The Japanese call that "Gambaru" (best effort).

sal
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

lorenzo x wrote:Sorry, nothing says junk knife like made in China
Way to go for a first post :rolleyes: . I just wish you had chosen a different handle...
lorenzo x

Post by lorenzo x »

LorenzoL wrote:Way to go for a first post :rolleyes: . I just wish you had chosen a different handle...
Why do you care how many posts I have? And you wish I had chosen a different handle because you disagree with my opinion on Chinese made knives? :confused:
rosconey

Post by rosconey »

hey lorenzo 1and 2-

lets keep this non personal-

we can all agree to disagree-

as for me-im on a american diet right now-if at all possible i avoid anything from china-if it says taiwan dominican republic ect ect i dont have a issue-
lorenzo x

Post by lorenzo x »

rosconey wrote:hey lorenzo 1and 2-

lets keep this non personal-

we can all agree to disagree-

as for me-im on a american diet right now-if at all possible i avoid anything from china-if it says taiwan dominican republic ect ect i dont have a issue-
Agreed, no need for anyone to be offended by my opinion (or my low post count). If you like chinese made knives thats great but I will pass, thanks.
araneae

Post by araneae »

lorenzo x wrote:Sorry, nothing says junk knife like made in China
I am sorry for you as well. Nothing says quality like Spyderco.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal