Poor little Spyderco Mouse value drop!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bam-it

Poor little Spyderco Mouse value drop!

Post by Bam-it »

I can't believe the price of the Spyderco Mouse has fallen so much.
A few weeks ago one sold on ebay for $110.00 and yesterday one ended
on ebay (NIB) with no bids for $110.00. I always considered it as one of my favorite discontinued Spyderco knives. What do you think.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I noticed quite a huge drop on Lum Chinese. The last original green PE NIB was sold for $120, NIB blue was sold for $140. Prices for some other Spyderco classics-old favorites went down as well. The knives, which used to be hot, are not hot anymore. Most likely there are few causes. Some price drops related to released sprints, but I think the most due to different interests of the crowd. Check the forum. Most of the talk about current production. Can you recall how long ago somebody mentioned Mouse? How many active members know about church mouse? I am not saying that this is bad, just different.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Bam-it

Post by Bam-it »

That sounds about right, I still think the Spyderco Mouse is the most quality small folder by Spyderco. I've tried the Chicago, Cat, Spin, Dragonfly and other small Spyderco folders. Although they are all very nice knives they just don't have that satisfying feel as the Mouse when you hold it in your hand. Just my Two cents.
cckw

Post by cckw »

These are optional items in a tough economy. there are fewer bidders/buyers at any given moment resulting in lower auction prices. Not to talk politics, but depending on the messaging and news coverage of the new congress in January, we might see some improvement early next year.
HellHound

Post by HellHound »

cckw wrote:These are optional items in a tough economy. there are fewer bidders/buyers at any given moment resulting in lower auction prices. Not to talk politics, but depending on the messaging and news coverage of the new congress in January, we might see some improvement early next year.
Or people are so intrested in the new models that they stop paying atention to the old ones.
thewannabesurvivalist
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

HellHound wrote:
cckw wrote:These are optional items in a tough economy. there are fewer bidders/buyers at any given moment resulting in lower auction prices. Not to talk politics, but depending on the messaging and news coverage of the new congress in January, we might see some improvement early next year.
Or people are so intrested in the new models that they stop paying atention to the old ones.
Or people are becoming overwhelmed by the sheer number of different models and variants within models. Or, most likely, a combination of all three, and probably some other reasons as well.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Poor little Mouse....The Rare and Holy Grail threads hardly ever pop up anymore, and when they do the talk is about one of the many manix 2's or some other recent model. :confused:
SmoothOne25

Post by SmoothOne25 »

the green, non dlc blade, lum you speak of went for only 80 bux or something right?

i saw that. mine was 110 a while ago
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

I have noticed this on many Spyderco models over the years.Huge price spike then a fast drop off.Seems lately the newly disc. models bring the highest price then quickly drop in price over time.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

The Deacon wrote:Or people are becoming overwhelmed by the sheer number of different models and variants within models.
Exactly this. +1

I mean there's what, something like 20-30 different UKPK variants? Maybe a dozen or so different Manix2's? For someone who is trying to collect them all, they may put the older, disco'd models on the back burner "to buy later".
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

All true, and as many wiser then me have said. You better collect because you like the knives and not anticipate making a profit. I had to almost pay someone to take a new condition Evolution Edition off my hands ;)
freeman7

Post by freeman7 »

I think the answer is the economy. Bad time to sell, good time to buy.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

bh49 wrote:I noticed quite a huge drop on Lum Chinese. The last original green PE NIB was sold for $120, NIB blue was sold for $140.
SmoothOne25 wrote:the green, non dlc blade, lum you speak of went for only 80 bux or something right?

i saw that. mine was 110 a while ago
Actually I was talking about original green Lum, not foilage green
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
manixSA

Post by manixSA »

Hola,

I bought a Manix 2 (PE 154 cm) in Golden, in July when the Factory Store had their sale on American made knives. I paid aroud $85 and thought it was a good price. I even went back to buy it after I left the first time. The ergos got me.

Recently on B forums they are selling for ten or fifteen less for the standard in the exchange. I don't regret the purchase but I do think different variables come into question... the beloved ( cough cough) hard test video of the Manix 2 for this knife making the generations before the video worth less to collectors or second hand sellers, especially second hand sellers. Secondly, the amount of new designs mentioned in the posts above. I don't limit the new designs to solely extrodinairy creativity such as any new model of knife, but also the sprint runs.

Another Spydie that will suffer is the first generation Military with full Ti scales. After the placement of the stainless steel add on why is the first generation more desireable, apart from being a collectible?

Do I blame Spyderco? No, never because they always say that they want their knives to be used. So if they didn't want to improve their designs they would let them lie, and possibly cause harm to their clients or their reputation.

I bought mine because I thought I could use it well and use it hard. I sometimes grimace that maybe I should have paid less but I was at the Spyderco store in Golden and the staff was patient and helpful to an almost first time buyer. Hats of to you gentlemen at the store on those days.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

eBay prices are effected by many things in addition to demand, e.g., descriptions, photographs, seller history, starting bids, reserve prices, shipping costs, auction length and the day/time the auction ends. Oh, and let's not forget luck.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Like ManixSA I bought a new Spyderco at the factory store last summer for about $30 more than online pricing. It was worth it to me to just be there and to get it in my hands to feel before buying, then have it that day. Knife was a Paramilitary 2 and I am even more glad now, as they have been difficult to find for 3 months. I have used it a lot and that is worth something right there.

I agree that we are wise to own things we actually enjoy ourselves, so that a drop in market value does not phase us. This goes for cars, houses, all sorts of material things.
markg

Post by markg »

The Deacon wrote:Or people are becoming overwhelmed by the sheer number of different models and variants within models. Or, most likely, a combination of all three, and probably some other reasons as well.
I was just reading on MSN today, where they had the "worst collectibles of all time." The one constant in all of them, were over production.

Everyone wants Sprint Runs, but the reality is, they drive the prices down.

Depends on what you want, I guess.
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

bh49 wrote:Actually I was talking about original green Lum, not foilage green
You can blame Moteng for that.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

markg wrote:Everyone wants Sprint Runs, but the reality is, they drive the prices down.
Bingo.
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!