Left Handed Firearms?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
FissionMailed

Left Handed Firearms?

Post by FissionMailed »

Please don't laugh at my complete ignorance that involves everything about firearms, but I've been looking into purchasing a shotgun for home defense and possibly hunting [which I have never done, but a few buddies of mine are persuading me to get into it.] As the title implies, I'm a lefty, and I know that rifle shell ejections go towards my face if I shoot lefty. I was wondering if I should purchase a left handed shotgun, or if it doesn't matter. Also please suggest some models! Thank you.
gac

Post by gac »

I don't know about left-handed shotguns but I'm sure there are some out there somewhere.

You could look at a bottom ejecting gun like an Ithaca 37or Browning BPS.
SlideTechnik

Post by SlideTechnik »

I believe Remington makes both the 870(pump) and 1100(autoloader) in a left handed version. At least they did at one time. The 870 is the "Honda Civic" of shotguns.
2cha

Post by 2cha »

I have a Benelli Montefelto that is truly awesome. I bought mine super used from a sporting clay range and have put many thousand rounds through it since without a hiccup. It is available in a left-handed version. I also have a Remington 1100 in 28 gauge (for sons to learn on). It had a feed latch problem, but was easy to fix myself and the part was cheap and easy to get. The Remington 1100 is also available left-handed.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

The 870s are available in left hand models....FWIW I just taught a student a couple of weeks ago with an 870...he was a lefty...but we put a pistol grip on his and I taught him to raise the gun up in front so he could see the sights and fire...he was using a right hand model with no problems....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

For a first shotgun or only shotgun for that matter the Remington 870 pump is a good choice in my opinion. Nothing wrong with a 20 gauge verse 12 gauge either (depending on what you may be hunting), put a slug barrel on and it's a great little compact home defense gun as well.
Nonprophet

Post by Nonprophet »

I shoot an 870 exclusively and train with it for work and I'm left handed. Never had a problem with ejected shells getting in the way. If you're cheek weld is proper you shouldn't really have any problems staying on target for the ejecting shells. Buying a lefty just means you won't be as familiar if you pick up someone else's gun and you'll spend more money in general.
‎"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.":spyder:Robert Heinlein
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

I've never had an issue shooting any righty long gun left handed.
FissionMailed

Post by FissionMailed »

Which version of the Remington 870 is the most ideal, and what should I except to pay? Thank guys.
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

If you're not a collector, a basic 870 Express will work just fine and dandy. I run a 870 Express Magnum, which allows me to run 3" shells, though I rarely have a need for it.

I bought mine years ago, but prices around here are 300-325 new. I would buy used. Heck, I buy pretty much every firearm used.

The only things that I have done to mine is put on a mag extender, put on a Hogue stock set, and polish the action arms/bolt group. The polishing I wouldnt' worry about, that was actually done sheerly for looks. All of the other things that were done were functional.

I rarely miss when using my 870 on the skeet or trap ranges, and keep up with my buddies that run semi auto Benelli's. I do shoot it left handed, as I am right handed, but left eye dominant (eye dominance is more important for long gun shooting). The only thing that happens when I do this, is that I occasionally have a semi-circle series of marks on my forearm from the carbon covered rim making contact. It is not distracting, or hot.

I really love shooting my Winchester model 12 as well, but I'm faster with the 870 for successive shots.

If you've got any questions about firearms, just ask. I do IDPA competitions, teach long distance rifle shooting, and love shooting shotguns :D
Markous

Post by Markous »

The only true left handed fire arm i have encountered was a Anschutz biathlon .22 when i was in army cadets, they are deadly accurate (in the right hands) but i imagine they are worth some serious $$$
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
440V, ATS-34, S30V, BG42, S90V, D2 & M4 :D A few of my favorite things
sarguy

Post by sarguy »

I shoot long guns left handed, as I'm left handed and left eye dominant. Both my 870 and my 1100 never gave me issues with shells hitting me in the face. I did look into swapping the safety around for left handed use, but I haven't done it yet.
"It's like he channels dead crazy people!"-Brock Samson
Officially corrupted by Sequimite
Own:E4W E4W trainer, D4W, D4W trainer, Centofante 4, Swick II, FFG E4 w/ foliage green G-10,Mule Team 5 and 6

Want list: ZDP Stretch, Original and New Yojimbos, Perrin PPT
My wish-existed list: More MBC-esque blades.

RIOT

Post by RIOT »

had many left handed friends shoot my right handed guns with no problems at all.
Monkeywrangler

Post by Monkeywrangler »

FYI, Stag Arms makes a lefty AR15 setup.
Not Forgotten:
LCpl. John Dewey Killen III
MSgt. Timothy Roy Bodden

Don't the sun look angry through the trees?
Don't the trees look like crucified thieves?
2cha

Post by 2cha »

jeep45238 wrote:
I do shoot it left handed, as I am right handed, but left eye dominant (eye dominance is more important for long gun shooting).

If you've got any questions about firearms, just ask. I do IDPA competitions, teach long distance rifle shooting, and love shooting shotguns :D
Hmmm. I'm right handed but strongly left-eye dominant. I practice with a pistol left-handed, but I've never tried clay shooting that way (part of why you would pump circles around me and my Benelli!?). I don't have much experience with rifles.

If I were to start rifle shooting, do you think I should start left-handed? I'm going to try with the shotgun next time I go out (won't be till end of the year.)
Jordan

Post by Jordan »

Another lefty here... thought I'd chime in.

I think that most of my southpaw bros can agree... this is a right handed world, we just live in it. That rule goes double for guns... sadly. Even "ambidextrous" firearms, well, aren't usually. Something on the gun is practically guaranteed to be geared for righties. So... we compromise. We learn to shoot right handed guns just as well as our less evolved counterparts ( :-P ), but on their turf. Eventually though... that one shotgun shell in every 350 that pops us in the nose gets old and we decide to go looking for a dedicated left handed firearm. Of course, most of us then find out that left handed firearms are difficult to find, more expensive than their otherwise identical right handed variants, and fairly often... NOT REALLY LEFT HANDED (i.e. safety, mag release, bolt release, etc. etc. is still in the right handed position). I'd avoid the trouble altogether if I were you and just get the MOST ambidextrous model you can find. In my case, that was the Browning BPS. The bottom ejection takes care of the shell in the face problem, and the fire controls pretty much ride the centerline of the gun for easy operation with either hand. I paid like... 350ish for mine, NIB.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
- Theodore Roosevelt

"I twisted the knife until I heard his heart-strings sing."

- Jim Bowie concerning Maj. Norris Wright
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

2cha wrote: If I were to start rifle shooting, do you think I should start left-handed? I'm going to try with the shotgun next time I go out (won't be till end of the year.)

Yup, I would highly reccomend starting, and staying, left handed until both right-and-left handed shooting feels natural, while maintaining the same accuracy standards with both.

That said....from my weekend of teaching rifles....

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
vic

Post by vic »

mossberg shotguns (or some of them i'm no expert) have a very nice, intuitive and ambidextrous safety catch: much better designed than the rem 870 trigger guard safety
2cha

Post by 2cha »

jeep45238 wrote:Yup, I would highly reccomend starting, and staying, left handed until both right-and-left handed shooting feels natural, while maintaining the same accuracy standards with both.

That said....from my weekend of teaching rifles....
Thanks for the input. Appleseed?
jeep45238

Post by jeep45238 »

Aye :)