Street beat or Fallkniven wm1?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alex4

Street beat or Fallkniven wm1?

Post by Alex4 »

Hey guys! Any thoughts on street beat vs fallkniven wm1? Planning to get one of them. Also would be great to see some pictures of both together.
Chris_Himself

Post by Chris_Himself »

You're posting on a Spyderco forum lol. One is a self defense/bladecraft knife. The other is a hard use survival knife meant for smaller hands i.e. women (WM1 designation). Don't let that 2nd remark bother you, the Delica exists for that same reason basically.

The street beat is a cool collectible for about 95 percent of us. The Fallkniven is the workhorse. So what did you need to do with this blade again?
"Quality is not an accident. It's the result of focused intention, earnest effort, intelligent direction, and careful execution." - Front of the mid-year catalog
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No experience with the Fallkniven, but the Street Beat is a great little knife and most definitely not just a SD piece. I'd have no qualms about using it to field dress whitetail deer. Should also work well for processing small game. Makes a decent substitute for a 4" utility knife in the kitchen too.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

The Perrin Street Beat is one of the finest production fixed blades on the market; the fit and finish exceed some customs I have handled. I appreciate the craftsmanship of the Fallkniven knives, but I would personally go with the Street Beat hands-down.

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Alex4, The FB15P is a great EDC knife and an excellent "Dicer & Slicer". It is my favorite EDC and I take it everywhere I go. I aslo have a Fjällkniven WM! but it is a very smnall knife wich ergonomics that just don't match those of the Spyderco FB15P Fred Perrin Streat Beat. I strongly speak for the
FB15P. It will not dissapoint you.
Cheers, Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

I have and love both. Both can serve very similar purposes. I am a guy with small hands and find the WM1 to be very comfortable except for the squared off guard. The SB is also comfortable. Both have excellent quality blades.
I find the SB micarta a little slick and a little too fat at the end of the handle.
The rubber WM1 (there is a custom handled version out there too) is less slippery, much thinner overall and fits my hand a little better. I especially like it as a pocket knife and in winter.
I would not sell either and you'd probably need to handle both to decide which fits your hands better if you had to only choose one.
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Fallkniven 3G - SGPS show extremely poor results on my edge holding test - 37th place among 41 knives tested.

Thanks, Vassili.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Jurphaas wrote:Hi Alex4, The FB15P is a great EDC knife and an excellent "Dicer & Slicer". It is my favorite EDC and I take it everywhere I go. I aslo have a Fjällkniven WM! but it is a very smnall knife wich ergonomics that just don't match those of the Spyderco FB15P Fred Perrin Streat Beat. I strongly speak for the
FB15P. It will not dissapoint you.
Jurphaas, are you EDC'ing in the sheath that came with it or something else? thx
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi SteelDragon, No, I don't carry my SB in the standard bolteron sheath. I use a smaller pouch style, carbon look kydex sheath by Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths. Mike is an excellent maker who dilivers top notch products and perfect service. He is also a great and valued friend of Spyderco.
I urge you to visit his web site.
Oh, b.t.w. My sheath has a RCS G-Clip.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Alex4

Post by Alex4 »

Thank you, guys! Vassili, you actually surprised me with your test results. I was just thinkig, that availability of 3g steel is more like an advantage of WM1. Jurphaas, i would like to as you, if your hands are big? Maybe there is the problem with wm1 ergo for you? Isn't micarta slippery, as dogrunner has indicated?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Micarta is deceptive. I feels like it should be slippery, since it's smooth. But, unlike many materials, your grip improves when you hands are wet. It doesn't get sticky, but it feels that way, especially if you hand is wet with blood. The shape of the handle helps as well. The deep choil locks your hand in place, the palm swells help and flare at the rear help as well.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
nozh2002

Post by nozh2002 »

Alex4 wrote:Thank you, guys! Vassili, you actually surprised me with your test results. I was just thinkig, that availability of 3g steel is more like an advantage of WM1. Jurphaas, i would like to as you, if your hands are big? Maybe there is the problem with wm1 ergo for you? Isn't micarta slippery, as dogrunner has indicated?
I was also very surprized, initially and thought that something may be wrong. But then I test Kershaw JYDII with same steel and have same results - even bit worse. Some people on the forum confirmed that that also observe same problem and finally BLUNTRUTH4U have same test results for Fallkniven U2 using his method.

So I am pretty confident that this Takefu creation has some problems.

Thanks, Vassili.
SteelDragon

Post by SteelDragon »

Jurphaas wrote:Hi SteelDragon, No, I don't carry my SB in the standard bolteron sheath. I use a smaller pouch style, carbon look kydex sheath by Mike Sastre of River City Sheaths. Mike is an excellent maker who dilivers top notch products and perfect service. He is also a great and valued friend of Spyderco.
I urge you to visit his web site.
Oh, b.t.w. My sheath has a RCS G-Clip.
Thanks Jurphaas! I will check out RCS, I looked once on their site but couldn't make up my mind, typical when I get choices. appreciate the reply!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

As a comment purely about Fallkniven knives and not comparing the SB, if I were buying a Fallkniven I'd think very seriously about going with the VG-10 versions. They are extremely good performers and a lot better value than the 3G versions IMO.
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Hi Alex ! Good to hear from you again! I trust all is well with the family and you. Yes, I do have relatively small hands, size 7.5 for gloves or mits. I have been hooked on knives for over twenty years now and I have never ever feld uncomfortable with micarta handle knives. Not, when my hands are dry and not, when my hands were wet. I am just as convinced by Micarta as I am convinced by 440C steel. I believe that many just don't know what the true qualities that these older (as like in, longer on the market) materials posess. All the interest and even hype about getting the latest cry is, to my humble opinion, totally obsolete. New steels and other materials are fine and exciting, but the old stuff works just as good for many ordinary users like me.
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *