SAK Fans

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bluntrauma

SAK Fans

Post by Bluntrauma »

Other than Spyderco, I find myself really appreciating the quality that Swiss Army Knife has maintained over the years. It's about the only knife other than Spyderco I carry.

Any fans?
Attachments
Alox family.jpg
Alox family.jpg (70.55 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Sometimes you gotta kick at the darkness until it bleeds daylight.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
chuck buck

Post by chuck buck »

absolutely 100% love the alox solo but thats the only one that i really dig and its not really in the vein of swiss army knives.
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

I like the Alox models. I can;t stand the crappy Red and Black plastic they use on the regular models. Why would they use such material? It just gets scratched and pock-marked so easily....

The new Soldier model is pretty cool, but I think it needs a pocket clip.
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I agree on the handle material. I have two with the plastic handles and aren't too fond of them. It would be nice to see an upgrade of some kind...but, they are still really well made and a huge bargain for the price.

AKA: Liveitloud on Blade Forums, USN, EDC, Benchmade forums and basically everywhere but here.
liveit_loud on Ebay.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I have maybe 30 of them, so I guess you can say I'm a fan. :)
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

I have a silver alox Vic Cadet that I carry nearly everyday. Yes, I'm a fan. :D
HotSoup

Post by HotSoup »

Everyone one I've had, I've given away to a friend.

I just cant stand top see people without a blade on them :p

I think I need to get myself another for keeps this time.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

About the only one I like is the Alox Soldier, it's one tough little folder.
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
npueppke

Post by npueppke »

I've bought a few over the years because I really like the concept, price, quality, etc, but then they end up just not doing it for me. They always get impossibly stiff to open and I find them too inconvenient to carry and use, even the slimmer models.
Redeye

Post by Redeye »

I love them, they take a great edge for cheap stainless (even though they don't keep it for that long), and they're the safest knife to carry in Britain - every policeman knows the SAK.

My favourites are the Farmer, Pioneer and Electrician styles. I'd like to pick up a SwissBianco modded SAK sometime too, they do nice work.

Even though it's not my ideal model, my black Spartan is the one I'd hate to lose because of how I got it. I was on a night train going to Italy a few years ago, and I got off in Switzerland at 6 am on a rainy morning and waited for the next train just so I could buy a SAK on Swiss soil! :rolleyes:
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

I just snagged a Gold Pioneer today. Can't wait for it to get here. Also, got a new red Pioneer and an old red Pioneer. Love em when they are already broke in.

liveit_loud on Ebay.
daundu

Post by daundu »

I demand a SAK/Spyderco hybrid. People who do multitools, and people who get the one handed opening RIGHT.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

daundu wrote:I demand a SAK/Spyderco hybrid. People who do multitools, and people who get the one handed opening RIGHT.
Funny you said that, it has been mentioned before and Sal said it won't happen.
JaM

Post by JaM »

Love the SAK. I am carrying a farmer as EDC apart from a Spyder (nowadays a Stretch 2 in ZDP).

Only alox we can get here it seems is in "grey". Dont really mind the plastic though. Carried those for years, too. Before I knew Spyderco.
Every boy should start with a SAK. Most of them over here actually do.
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

I like SAK for the other tools on it in a slim package. My favorite is the Alox Electrician. I also used to carry a Deluxe Tinkerer for the pliers - this was before Leatherman started the multitool market with real pliers. Generally, SAK build quality is top notch.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!
Bushbadger

Post by Bushbadger »

Love em! I think one of the best everyday carry options is a Spydie and a SAK, with those two you've pretty much got most things covered :D
Bluntrauma

Post by Bluntrauma »

New addition to the family. :cool:
Attachments
Pioneers.jpg
Pioneers.jpg (13.89 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

liveit_loud on Ebay.
jimbo@stn24

Post by jimbo@stn24 »

Nice addition with the gold tone alox Blunt.

Don't have many, but do have a Swisstool, the soldier in alox, and a climber. The multi tool and the soldier see lots of use.
WTC #1455
Donut

Post by Donut »

I have a Trekker because I ran into a few instances at work when I needed a large flathead screwdriver in the field. I don't really want to carry a large flat head screwdriver, so the Trekker works well.

The funny thing is that I will probably never use the blade on it because I always have a Spyderco on me.

What would you all recommend for someone just getting into SAK's?
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Pneumothorax

Post by Pneumothorax »

Donut wrote:What would you all recommend for someone just getting into SAK's?
the classis alox soldier or electrician. large blade (not needed :D ), screwdriver/bottle opener, small screwdriver/can opener and awl? on Soldier and small wharnie type blade on electician. cant go wrong there.
2011: G10 Dragonfly ^ Breeden Rescue ^ Bug ^ Honeybee ^ Centofante 3 ^ Woodcraft Mule ^SFO Visit Buys = Frn Stretch & Native 4 CF!! ^ Salt 1 ^ Burgundy Calypso ZDP-189 ^ Walker Blue Almite ^ Native 5 ^ Squeak ^ Chaparral ^ Urban Olive Green ^ STREET BEAT!!...
2012: Caly Jr (vintage/NIB!), SS Navigator-fave LBK of all time, Jester, Orange Dodo, CS Orange PM2,Techno, Bradley! AIR!!