Military vs. Chinook? for SD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Post by 224477 »

chuck, to me the most effective blade for SD /body = meat covered with clothes or leather/ is a wharncliff - ronin, yojimbo or a stanley blade utility knife.

Thats if we talk SD..
If we would talk about killing techniques /not the right place to do it here/ I would take a good karambit, thats the most devastating tool IN CASE YOU KNOW HOW TO USE IT ;)
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I agree. a properly angled wharncliff is the most devastating in cuts. I just find a karambit less easy to carry.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

graf_zero wrote:Different knives act different on some materials.
I own a Chin I and I just couldn't slash trough hanging 1 inch competition rope, where it could be slashed even with large swiss army knife(and military as well).
It was because of curvature of Chinnok blade, which caused rope to bounce/slip.
I was thinking that that would be the result but since the 'nook was touted as as designed for SD, I thought maybe I was mistaken.
KaliGman

Chinook and Military

Post by KaliGman »

I think that you will find that either knife works fairly well. It will come down to your personal preferences, how you grip a knife, your cutting methodology, and the way you perceive the blade to meld with your hand. Objectively, the Military is lighter and thus perhaps somewhat easier to carry than a Chinook. The Chinook has a lock that is very strong, and it is rated by Spyderco for MBC use. Some find that they can disengage a Military lock inadvertently in a stressful situation, though I do not find this to be the case in my use. It basically boils down to your personal preferences. I own both, have carried both for "serious social purposes," and have trained and worked with both.

As for cutting performance, please note that Doc's tests, my tests, Mike Janich's tests, and all others are merely guides. Your cutting methodology and a host of other factors will determine the performance of the blade for you. Results will vary. For example, although I like Wharncliffes and feel very comfortable carrying them, my personal testing has not revealed them to be "ultimate cutting machines." I have seen Wharncliffes perform better than combat knives with curvature to the edge and perform worse than similarly sized combat knives with curvature to the edge. With what we call "three dimensional rotational cutting" in Albo Kali Silat, curved edges do very well, including doing multiple cuts at speed. For example, in this article that was published in the Russian knife magazine, Prorez, you can see some cutting with a Cold Steel Espada XL, a knife based on the curved, navaja style knives of Spain:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/PDF/large_ ... rticle.pdf

Enjoy your new Chinook. Train with it. Cut with it. Sharpen it up and repeat the process. It may or may not become your favorite "fighting folder," but it is a fine knife.
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Gman, at the moment I always have my military in RFP dedicated to SD, I just thought I'd add another folder that's SD dedicated to my EDC. So far in my practice cuts and test cuts, I'm satisfied with the capability of the military. I'm sure I will love and enjoy my 'nook 3, if it works for me at SD all the better. At the very least I will have an overbuilt EDC which will give me a silly grin each time I deploy it. :) thanks for the input.
druid

Post by druid »

http://www.spydercoinc.org/forums/showt ... hp?t=22573 old comparison thread with interview that's worth a look
why
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

KaliGman wrote:I think that you will find that either knife works fairly well. It will come down to your personal preferences, how you grip a knife, your cutting methodology, and the way you perceive the blade to meld with your hand. Objectively, the Military is lighter and thus perhaps somewhat easier to carry than a Chinook. The Chinook has a lock that is very strong, and it is rated by Spyderco for MBC use. Some find that they can disengage a Military lock inadvertently in a stressful situation, though I do not find this to be the case in my use. It basically boils down to your personal preferences. I own both, have carried both for "serious social purposes," and have trained and worked with both.

As for cutting performance, please note that Doc's tests, my tests, Mike Janich's tests, and all others are merely guides. Your cutting methodology and a host of other factors will determine the performance of the blade for you. Results will vary. For example, although I like Wharncliffes and feel very comfortable carrying them, my personal testing has not revealed them to be "ultimate cutting machines." I have seen Wharncliffes perform better than combat knives with curvature to the edge and perform worse than similarly sized combat knives with curvature to the edge. With what we call "three dimensional rotational cutting" in Albo Kali Silat, curved edges do very well, including doing multiple cuts at speed. For example, in this article that was published in the Russian knife magazine, Prorez, you can see some cutting with a Cold Steel Espada XL, a knife based on the curved, navaja style knives of Spain:

http://www.albokalisilat.org/PDF/large_ ... rticle.pdfEnjoy your new Chinook. Train with it. Cut with it. Sharpen it up and repeat the process. It may or may not become your favorite "fighting folder," but it is a fine knife.
Ay Jon it's a good thing my grandparents where from St Petersburg...and I can read that thing..or else I'd be lost....Congrats on the great article...Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*