knife for SD

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
henk1966

Post by henk1966 »

A lot of wise words here but just remember to keep your mind calm in times of trouble[read life or dead situations]en know the human anatomy,should you use a knife,there are 4 main arteries,left and right throat and left and right upperleg,once they,ve been slashed it,s over,so be very aware of what you carry,my father used to carrie a knife on a daily basis,he also said carrying a knife is a big responsibility,i,ve carried a kobutan ,now a stinger,with thanks to James Keating.
Maybe I should not have mentioned all the above,I,m a great believer in the right to defend one self,the trouble overhere is when I find a burglar in my house ,law demands me asking him or them or her to leave.....right.....when I should use force to get the burglar out of MY house and he should get wounded I have a big problem,laws overhere do not cover the needs of the people who earn their money working hard.Sometimes the bad guys seem to have more rights,sigh....
enough about that,bottomline is,know what you carry and what it can do,

Stay healthy!

Just my two cents....
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

With all due respect, cutting arteries does not stop people quickly enough to keep you safe. It may kill them, but not soon enough to keep them from finishing their attack on you.

Similarly, stabbing people in the torso does not immediately stop them.

This debate is so polluted with institutionalized misinformation it's difficult to rise above the B.S. Instead, look on YouTube for footage of actual knife attacks. Also, do a search on "hockey player throat cut." Although graphic, these videos are an excellent way of separating fact from fiction when it comes to stopping power with knives.

Cut the parts that allow your attacker to be dangerous to you. Shut down the mechanical elements of the machine. Don't just drain the oil and wait for the engine to stop.

Stay safe,

Mike
Michael Janich
Spyderco Special Projects Coordinator
Founder and Lead Instructor, Martial Blade Concepts
FIMS

Post by FIMS »

Train.

Keep training. Weekend classes once a year will do you nothing.

Once attacked, do what you have to to distract or disable.

Run the **** away.
Oderint Dum Metuant - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

:spyder:'s - I have sincerely now lost count.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/
http://spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/glossary.php
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

ssmtbracer wrote:Is a knife good for self defense or would you suggest something else let say you can't carry a gun. What else would you carry instead of a gun. What kind of things do you have for SD besides a gun. What does not require much training.
The only SD tool you can acquire which doesn't require much training is a good pair of Sneakers. This is not a joke. Running or avoidance is the only thing we have been training since childhood.(tag, not it, hide n seek, sports.......) In the case of any weapon without the need of training, well that is a oxymoron.
Seriously get training or start jogging.

Just an opinion though,
tex
"All I need in life is Love and a 45......and now a Spyderco."
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

texcaliber wrote:The only SD tool you can acquire which doesn't require much training is a good pair of Sneakers. This is not a joke. Running or avoidance is the only thing we have been training since childhood.(tag, not it, hide n seek, sports.......) In the case of any weapon without the need of training, well that is a oxymoron.
Seriously get training or start jogging.

Just an opinion though,
tex
I did not say no training. I said little training and i run not jog
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

You still need to train for running. :)
Just saying.
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

texcaliber wrote:You still need to train for running. :)
Just saying.
Yes thank you captain obvious. Again I never said no training I train very little running I only run 4 times a week and ride my bike for 6. So to me that is very little training.
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

Then why so anti-weapons training?
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I don't know how you got the idea I am anti training.
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

I assumed you did not want to train when you asked/state it.
If I assumed wrong, my mistake.

tex
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

No worries I never said in my original post no training
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I have seen those I am not sure about them. And they look kinda weird but I have heard good things about them.
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

Just think of the WTF factor involved when the mugger says "give me your wallet and shoes". As he is laughing at them an tears well in his/her eyes, a quick roundhouse and off to the races. :cool:
I think it has merit. :rolleyes:
henk1966

Post by henk1966 »

Point taken Mike...

Now you know why I asked for a training,;-)

This is how things are sold overhere,I guess I was naieve,never been in a actual knifefight,luckely,

Thanks for clearing things!!
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

It's better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Jim Malone wrote:Have you been looking into a blackjack or a good sap?
A blackjack and a sap is a lethal tool and is a good close combat weapon, just like a knife.
The only problem is that nearly everywhere a sap or club is completely illegal. A knife can be carried because it's a tool of sort.

I thought the same thing about maybe getting sap gloves. I figure it would be more humane to pop someone in the chest and walk away than use a knife...they collapse but live, etc. Problem is that carrying those gloves, brass knucks, etc is a BIG crime. Similar to why in many areas having a fixed blade is illegal when the same size folder isn't (or even a gun with a concealed carry permit). Sigh. :(

Some alternative methods I can see are of course guns, stun guns, OC spray, Comtech Stinger (that one is iffy depending on your laws), or something like a flashlight or pen.

You can do some serious damage with a small flashlight or pen. It would be a tough case by any prosecutor too.
texcaliber

Post by texcaliber »

Have you seen the SAP HAT. You will have to look it up on YouTube but it may get around your problem.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

texcaliber wrote:Have you seen the SAP HAT. You will have to look it up on YouTube but it may get around your problem.
Got one...but it feels like your wearing a cinderblock on your head LOL...But a tip of the hat will work real good...real good ;) ...Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
dialex

Post by dialex »

defenestrate wrote:.. I just took his OC pepper spray and fired a good burst into my mouth.. his jaw dropped... I didn't even tear up..
Reminds me of that movie with Steven Segall where the bad guy was attacked with a Mace spray by that youg lady. And he grabbed the spray and took another puff in his mouth - "It's good for the sinuses" he concluded. ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.