Michael Walker ZDP-189

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Reeper22

Post by Reeper22 »

damfan wrote:Interesting question.

Actually, when I got the stretch, I had to do a double and triple take - it really looks like G-10 rather than CF, especially with the tight "guilloche" pattern that provides nice grip but isn't so good looking to my eyes.

I like the GB MUCH better but it really is too bulky and heavy for a pocket EDC. Maybe holstered, but for that I'd take the clip off.

For pocket carry, I'm really hoping to get the Walker CF/ZPD back in properly finished condition (replacements) to see how I like them, they have all the qualities.

For now I'm sticking with my William Henry Kestral ZPD/Ti for always with me EDC, and Kershaw Random Leek for when I think I'll need a larger blade (clipped to trouser inside belt.)
Other than the differences in the CF, why do you prefer the GB over the Stretch?
:spyder: Keep you blades sharp and your wits sharper :spyder:
ssmtbracer

Post by ssmtbracer »

I finally got my Michael Walker it took 3 weeks to get it from Canada. But its sweet I love this knife. I am currently carrying it but not sure if I should use it seeing its a sprint run.
backpacker416

Post by backpacker416 »

Im about to buy this knife myself. What did Sal say about this knife, I cant find it? Thanks.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Hey Backpacker, Welcome.
I Don't know what Sal said, but I do know I thoroughly enjoy my Walker. It's so light you don't feel it, but when you take it out you can cut, and cut, and cut.........
It looks nice enough to take it on a date, but handles most any smaller task with such complete ease. I think you'll like it a lot.

Mine came with some minor cosmetic blemishes, however, because this knife is such a great little user It really never bothers me at all. It's a really sweet blade :D

Charlie
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'm a sucker for Spyderco carbon fiber knives. So, I was excited to receive my Michael Walker in the mail today. Mine also has chips in the CF around 3 of the screws, and roughness around the lanyard hole, but it's hard to see unless you look closely and it doesn't really bother me since I do plan to carry and use this knife. Overall, it's very nice, but not quite up to the fit and finish quality of my CF Native and CF Caly 3, which have similar, smooth scales, but are near flawless in their fit and finish.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

Got one, and it's a beauty. Love the size and weight.

No cracks on CF and F&F is fine.

One complaint: no jimping.....Can anyone think of a reason why this blade should lack jimping?....Seems obvious it needs it.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
bell

Post by bell »

flash900 wrote:Got one, and it's a beauty. Love the size and weight.

No cracks on CF and F&F is fine.

One complaint: no jimping.....Can anyone think of a reason why this blade should lack jimping?....Seems obvious it needs it.
Actually there is jimping on the underside of the blade. See post #35 for custom jimping.
spyken

Post by spyken »

mine had a warped blade, unfortunately.
spyken
MCM

Post by MCM »

Any pic's?
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
flash900

Post by flash900 »

bell wrote:CF Walker with Jimping and lanyard from STR.
bell,

Nice!

How much to add the jimping -- and do you have a link to who did it?
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie