Spyderco,Benchmade and Wilkins

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
J Smith

Spyderco,Benchmade and Wilkins

Post by J Smith »

I just got into a G10 Wilkins grip scales and put a large Ritter Grip in it.
I think I have found a new favorite knife.I know its Benchmade and this is Spyderco's forum,I am not a huge fan of BM but the Ritter Grip is a nice knife.
My reason for posting is finding myself thinking of what Wilkins could do with some more of Spydercos knives.I know he makes them for the Leafstorm but I am thinking how nice a Native or even a Delica would feel in a set of grips something like the ones for the Griptillian.Hope to see some in the future.
Oh BTW whatever coating Kevin uses on the back spacer is very tough.If it was used on a clip it would wear very well.If I had known how tough it was I don't think I would have stripped it.
Please don't turn this into a Spyderco vs BM thread.To me it is more about the Wilkins scales.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

i love that orange
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

I love Wilkins' work.

One day I will own a knife like this
In omnia paratus
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

BananaBoy_S4 wrote:I love Wilkins' work.

One day I will own a knife like this
is that granite?
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Gibsoniam

Post by Gibsoniam »

Wow. That is Orange! I love the shape of Wilkins replacement scales on the grip and mini grip. I've often considered buying a new mini grip just to get some Wilkins scales on it… and the Ritter blade is awesome. But, too many other hobbies for me to do that.

However, some custom Wilkins scales for a Delica, Urban, Cricket or Paramilitary… Woo!!!
Mike :cool:

<><
1 Peter 3:15

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity;
an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
Winston Churchill

EDC
Spyderco Meerkat Sprint
HDS Systems EDC Executive 140W
Fisher Space Pen
Agent_Ohm

Post by Agent_Ohm »

Buckles wrote:is that granite?
It is blue speckled corian
In omnia paratus
Pete2s

Post by Pete2s »

A Spyderco Gayle Bradley with some curves or texture for grip would be too good, which is probably why Spyderco hasn't contacted Wilkins.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

I had one just like that (with black clip & backspacer) & traded it away. The ergos on the large Wilkins scales didn't fit me well and the knife was really uncomfortable to hold and use. The standard full sized Grip handle gives me no trouble at all and makes a great user. But I do love Doug Ritter's blade shape. That may be why I love my Caly 3s so much, they're close (not exact, but close) to the mini-RSK's blade shape in a Spyderco package.

I like Kevin Wilkins' designs in both his Spyderco collab model and his custom work (can't afford them, though). If he were going to do any scale designs for Spydercos, however, I'd want some Spyderco designers to have serious input into the final product. IMAO nobody designs for the human hand as well as Spyderco.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935