M4 Bradley rusting

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

captnvegtble wrote:If you use alcohol, you need to let it evaporate. It is the actual evaporation of alcohol that kills the bacteria. Personally, I liked the suggestion of sterilizing in boiling water.
Remember that M4 will corrode quite readily. Also, boiling isn't all that effective and will require at least 15 minutes immersion. You'll also need to thoroughly dry and probably re-lubricate the knife afterwards. All in all, boiling the knife doesn't seem like a great solution.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I think we're moving into talking about two different things. Sanitation and sterilization have different requirements and are applicable to different fields of use.

Boiling water may not be that great for sterilizing medical items but when combined with detail washing with good soap it would probably be perfectly acceptable for sanitizing a pocket knife.

I would still think that the combination of chemical sanitizers and a good handwashing would take care of any issues. Following the same protocol restaurants use for their cooking utensils seems to make the most sense.

This would be the more relevant Wiki section to start with:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation ... d_industry
AKWolf

Post by AKWolf »

Turn in your license to own M4...Chlorine or Tri-Chlor will disintegrate H1 in concentrated quantities...

Even high dollar Japanese chef knives of VG-10 advise against auto-dishwashers.(knife abuse)

I don't mean to be harsh OP but the Bradley M4 is not a kitchen knife/steel.(where is the scratching head emoticon)

I'm sure I didn't garner any fans here, but someone had to say it
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

AKWolf wrote:Turn in your license to own M4...Chlorine or Tri-Chlor will disintegrate H1 in concentrated quantities...

Even high dollar Japanese chef knives of VG-10 advise against auto-dishwashers.(knife abuse)

I don't mean to be harsh OP but the Bradley M4 is not a kitchen knife/steel.(where is the scratching head emoticon)

No, you hit it on the nail. I am surprised the dishwasher did not damage the scales -maybe because it is CF-...
THG

Post by THG »

JNewell wrote:Remember that M4 will corrode quite readily. Also, boiling isn't all that effective and will require at least 15 minutes immersion. You'll also need to thoroughly dry and probably re-lubricate the knife afterwards. All in all, boiling the knife doesn't seem like a great solution.
Boiled water doesn't kill many bacteria and viruses. Your dish rags that you throw in the laundry machine - the soap and hot water doesn't clean them. That's why it's recommended to get them damp and put them in a microwave.

Of course you shouldn't put a knife in a microwave. I think a disinfectant would be your best bet. I also wouldn't boil because I wouldn't want my knife to go through unnecessary thermal expansion.
Im not good at sharpening, even with a sharpmaker. How get your blade good can your blade with an edge pro system? - Bladeforums user

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like? - Some Online Meme
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

I have been trying to avoid saying that because I recognize the OP from several knife fora and as far as I can tell he's as level-headed as most of us - we all have our moments (I do, anyway). However, putting a non-stainless folder (or, any folder, or, any good knife at all) into a dishwasher would be knife abuse in my view.

I guess this is why Benchmade coats 99% of their M4 models. I still like Spyderco's decision NOT to coat the blade and hope they'll continue to use M4 and not apply coatings.
AKWolf wrote:Turn in your license to own M4...Chlorine or Tri-Chlor will disintegrate H1 in concentrated quantities...

JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Good points, I think you're right - thanks for clarifying.
spoonrobot wrote:I think we're moving into talking about two different things. Sanitation and sterilization have different requirements and are applicable to different fields of use.

Boiling water may not be that great for sterilizing medical items but when combined with detail washing with good soap it would probably be perfectly acceptable for sanitizing a pocket knife.

I would still think that the combination of chemical sanitizers and a good handwashing would take care of any issues. Following the same protocol restaurants use for their cooking utensils seems to make the most sense.

This would be the more relevant Wiki section to start with:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanitation ... d_industry
araneae

Post by araneae »

JNewell wrote:I guess this is why Benchmade coats 99% of their M4 models. I still like Spyderco's decision NOT to coat the blade and hope they'll continue to use M4 and not apply coatings.
Even coatings do not make a carbon steel rust resistant/proof.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

AKWolf wrote:I don't mean to be harsh OP but the Bradley M4 is not a kitchen knife/steel.(where is the scratching head emoticon)
Why would you say that? (no really, serious question)

Okay, it's not stainless and the current vogue in kitchen cutlery is VG-10 and such and I get that, but carbon steel knives have been used in the kitchen with great success for generations.

I, for one, would love to see Sal issue a set of thin bladed, FFG CPM-M4 kitchen knives. I'd sell my Shuns in a heartbeat to get those.

Ken
玉鋼
MCM

Post by MCM »

Well, Carbon steel kitchen knifes were seldom folders. :p
(as they are a pain to clean)

Also, when folks use / used carbon steel kitchen knifes they didn't throw them in the dish washer. (unless they didn't mind the results)

Carbon steel kitchen knifes that get used are not shiny & pretty like most of us want our folders to look.

To expect anything else from Carbon steel would be foolish.
You cant fight this, its just the way it is.

Just adding to the thread..........
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

BBQ BOY wrote:Well I had to sanitize it. how will it be affected by bleach?
Use 1 part bleach to 32 parts water.That will kill anything on it and not hurt anything.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

J Smith wrote:Use 1 part bleach to 32 parts water.That will kill anything on it and not hurt anything.
Thats 4 fl oz or 8 Tbsp per gallon if anyone was wondering.
FLYBYU44

Post by FLYBYU44 »

No offense, but I'm shocked that you would consider even putting it in a dishwasher. M4 is not know for it's corrosion resistance and surely you knew that. If you haven't already I would totally dismantle the knife and clean it all, the pivot is probably a ball of rust. :confused:
Those who choose to live a life without risks, arrive safely at death's door.
LorenzoL

Post by LorenzoL »

Besides, what can you do in a kitchen with a 3.5" folder?...
cckw

Post by cckw »

J Smith wrote:Use 1 part bleach to 32 parts water.That will kill anything on it and not hurt anything.

In a spray bottle, right? that is what we do in our home redneck butcher shop/work shop
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Your points are correct and I was (perhaps) hijacking this thread just a touch.... referring to fixed blade kitchen knives in this thread....
MCM wrote:Well, Carbon steel kitchen knifes were seldom folders. :p
(as they are a pain to clean)
I find that true for ALL folders, not just carbon steel (but probably MORE SO for carbon steel). I only ever use fixed blade knives in the kitchen (or for food in general (travel emergencies excepted)
MCM wrote:Also, when folks use / used carbon steel kitchen knifes they didn't throw them in the dish washer. (unless they didn't mind the results)
Again, applies to ALL knives (for me). I hand clean every knife I own/use (okay, not butter/table knives but you know what I mean)
MCM wrote:Carbon steel kitchen knifes that get used are not shiny & pretty like most of us want our folders to look.
I actually prefer a nice patina on a knife but I understand the shiny bias, especially for folders.
MCM wrote:To expect anything else from Carbon steel would be foolish.
You cant fight this, its just the way it is.
No disagreement. It's what I expect and it's what I want. So I want a set of CPM-M4 FFG kitchen knives that will grow old gracefully.

Ken
玉鋼
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

cckw wrote:In a spray bottle, right? that is what we do in our home redneck butcher shop/work shop
I am a Animal Control Officer and we mix it in spray bottles for the trucks and kitchen,buckets for the floors and dog runs and even garden sprayers for the outside runs.Best stuff to use as you do not have to worry about any poison chemicals left over.I prefer it to hand sanitizer as it will remove odors better.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
MCM

Post by MCM »

"I want a set of CPM-M4 FFG kitchen knives that will grow old gracefully"

Agree,
Count me in for a 10" chef's knife in M4. :D
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
Joshua J.

Post by Joshua J. »

BBQ BOY wrote:I ran my Gayle Bradley through my dishwasher at my restaurant tonight and it instantly started to get rust spots on it. This thing rust at the sight of water i've noticed.
What can I do to get the rust off? Foil?
How long did you leave it on the rack for?

I know that the industrial washers I've used usually leave standing water, if you don't dry it and blow it out immediately (using lung power or otherwise) I can see it ending the way you describe.
I can understand the desire to run it through the sanitizer though, those things get pretty hot (nothing that would threaten the blade though).

Come to think of it, I've never run knives through a sanitizer, they're always done by hand under the tap and submersed in an anti-bacterial chemical wash. (Just a sink of hot water with a few squirts of special cleaner.)
Cannot Die Happy Without The Maxamet Yojumbo
BBQ BOY

Post by BBQ BOY »

Well I did have a brain fart when I put it in there. When I put it in there I totally forgot about the blade being M4 and with it being my first and only M4 blade I was not thinking. I have run many folders through the years in the dishwasher with no ill effects.
Guess what? I will never do that again. Thanks for the info guys and no hard feelings over the criticisms.