Spyderco Syderhawk with H1 steel

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shanester66

Spyderco Syderhawk with H1 steel

Post by Shanester66 »

Question...whats the best to sharpen this blade??? Just pulled it out of the box and though the design is great for my needs, the blade is not your typical Spyderco sharpness. Was going to just run it through my smith electric sharpener....better methods?
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

my experience was like yours...great knife but not the greatest edge. my solution? break out the sharpmaker. my spyderhawk is now scary sharp. i suggest reviewing the directions before starting and consider purchasing the super fine rods for the sharpmaker.
THE PUNISHER

Post by THE PUNISHER »

are you serious??????????? :eek:

try a ceramic rod sharpmaker.......
<--------------------<<<< >>>>-------------------->
GREAT ENERGY ~ AWESOME VIBES
angusW

Post by angusW »

I agree with White Cloud and get a Sharpmaker. Also consider getting the 701MF profile set as the shape makes it a bit easier to sharpen the Spyderhawk.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Buy the serrated version. You won't have that problem. ;)
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
CharlesIV

Speaking of the SpyderHawk

Post by CharlesIV »

Speaking of the SpyderHawk is there any chance of getting the handle in another color like a dark blue or black?
JD Spydo

701 Profiles for SE & Hawkbills

Post by JD Spydo »

angusW wrote:I agree with White Cloud and get a Sharpmaker. Also consider getting the 701MF profile set as the shape makes it a bit easier to sharpen the Spyderhawk.
I heartily agree with Angus :cool: No one should own a Spyderco Hawkbill without also owning the 2 great sharpening tools to maintain them with. The Spyderco 701 Profiles are truly the answer for all of Spyderco's Hawkbills and recurves. The 204 Sharpmaker should be owned by every knife owner>> end of story, enough said

Sharpening the point on any Hawkbill takes just a bit of practice and patience. But the Profile kit is a great way to start.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

You can RIT dye it to make it black. Blue would be a little harder not sure how you would get it blue. I've dyed my two spyderhawks black and they hold up pretty well.
araneae

Post by araneae »

My advice would be to throw out the electric knife eater and buy a sharpmaker. I seriously doubt it would come out sharper from the machine than it did from the factory.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal