A picky review -- Salt folders

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tpro68

Tasman/Harpy

Post by tpro68 »

I could imagine carrying a Titanium Harpy/Tasman in H1 with a Reeve integral lock. Very nice.
SaturnNyne

Post by SaturnNyne »

Great thread, unit! Nice to hear such detailed thoughts on the Salts, looking forward to your ongoing review.

sal wrote:Just for the sake of conversation. What model would be of interest?
As long as we're discussing Salt options, what about a Salt with unlined G10 scales? It seems like it would be a simpler and much less expensive option that would give them a more solid and high end feel without sacrificing light weight.

Or another idea that's perhaps not possible due to the different locations involved and maybe policies regarding H1: what about a FRN UK Salt? Is it even possible to ship over H1 the same as GIN1, switch the backspring/screws/pivot over to whatever materials are used in the Salt line (backspring seems like it could be an issue there), make rustproof wire clip, and do it all up in yellow frn? I'm guessing it can't be done, but if it could it would provide a Salt for those who need to carry a Slipit and provide an option for those who don't care for back locks.

Do you think a non-FRN Salt is realistically an option, or do you think it's likely a case where lots of us want it but the reality of the price would leave demand too low for you to justify it?
thebestnoobcake

Post by thebestnoobcake »

You know what's cool?
Even though the Salt series are a unique product with a special-ish steel, we pay a fair price for the knife! I can think of products (not just knives) where the manufacturer bumps the prices up just cos they can.
I used to NOT like thumbholes. Until I used one.
Just like I didn't like the look of Spyderco knives in general. Until I held one.

-THG
unit

Post by unit »

24 hours later...developing some conclusions already....

Allow me to preface the following with some disclaimers. I have used this knife as hard as I would use my Military. In fact I would have to admit that I would never walk around cutting silly things simply for the purpose of stressing my Military the way I have the Pacific Salt (PSalt). That said I have started to form some conclusions that I would be happy to share. I am being honest, so please take it as that...not fan-speak, not hating, just reporting findings after a fair bit of use.

H1 Steel/Blade Geometry, my expectations so far have been surpassed by the steel, and the geometry. I have done a bit of whittling and cutting on boards, I cut about 100 heavy duty plastic cable ties against a tile floor, and I cut the sidewalls out of a couple truck tires, in addition to other soft-fabric reinforced rubber. (note, the tire cutting was not malicious, some times we have to decommission damaged goods).

As I said, I went out of my way to make longer, deeper cuts than were necessary. I wanted to stress this knife, and learn about its edge holding capabilities. I am puzzled to report that the cutting performance was on par with the S30V full flat grind (FFG) Military I carry most often. The FFG has advantages in some areas, but only in the long cuts where the blade geometry comes into play, such as a long cut through heavy material (no surprise). But the PSalt had the decided advantage over FFG in the hard thin material (like the cable ties). I am a little shocked to find that I am starting to prefer the blade geometry of the PSalt (for many of my uses) over the FFG that seems to be all the rage among many forum users. The main reason for this is perhaps in my head, but I can not help but feel that the tip strength is superior on the PSalt (though, I have yet to break a tip off a FFG).

H1 steel. I am really impressed with this stuff. I was able to dull it finally, but it seemed to retain the edge as well as VG-10 or S30V (perhaps better). When I say "dull", I mean that it no longer shaves, it will not push cut paper unless I "cheat" by slicing a bit to keep the cut going. This thing is still plenty sharp to do work, but it is to the point where I normally start thinking about touching it up.

Inspection of the edge. I can not see any chips or rolling of the steel. This sort of use with my S30V typically results in tiny chips and rolls in the edge that I can see on close (naked eye) inspection with bright light. The same inspection process on PSalt reveals no such degradation.

Now I can sharpen this and re-test to learn more about this work hardening I have heard of.

Handle material (FRN). No complaints here. I honestly thought this stuff was going to be cheap feeling and basically the foundation of a "budget knife"...so I was prejudice going in. Now that I have stressed it and seen it in action, and hurt my hand on some really hard long cuts, I can report some impressions. I have not tested it to failure...I can say it is strong enough so far. I do not know how they shape this stuff, I am guessing it is molded and that is fine. There were no sharp edges that you sometimes find on molded plastic, and I really can not comment much other than to say it seems like a good material that will work in a lot of hands without great complaint. It is a little thin, but that makes the knife easier to carry, it flexes a bit but leaving it unlined keeps the weight down...we are getting into weaknesses that double as strengths depending on the beholder.

Construction This is a big area of strengths doubling as weaknesses. No liners, and pinned construction leads to a flexible knife that (in my case) has developed a small amount of side to side blade play. Mine developed this blade play after about 10 times what I thought would be required to do it. Only time will tell if it will worsen, or if the peen has simply broken-in to a slight degree of looseness. If it gets really bad, I will do something about it, but as is I am not concerned because it is minimal and does not affect use, and it does not appear to be in danger of impacting lock performance (at least for my use regime).

Thoughts at this point The blade and the handle seem like monster-truck tires on a Prius. This blade seems to beg for hard use with the thick-ish spine extending all the way to the tip and this steel that performs very well IMO. But the handle and construction seems to whisper weight efficiency, economy, and light duty.

Granted, I love this concept and use of the knife for what I intended when I purchased it is going to be spot on. I planed on carrying this knife for very light and occasional use when I am out riding/training, but now I know that it can stand up to some fairly hard use if I need. Having heavy liners and screw construction could have its disadvantages on a bike (I do not want any unneeded weight, and I do not have to worry if threads are protected to prevent loosening).

I think there is probably something brewing at Spyderco in terms of considering some heftier folders with H1...or I hope so anyway. This steel is great, and that seems understood considering H1s appearance in some hefty fixed blades Spyderco is producing. Personally my vote would be for a platform like the Endura 4 with ti liners and ti screws (I am not sure H1 can be machined and threaded efficiently, but my bikes have plenty of ti bolts...but they are not cheap). Full ti slabs would need additional machining/texturing to do this blade steel justice (wet, messy environments>>slick ti handles>>no thanks)
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

unit wrote:Thoughts at this point The blade and the handle seem like monster-truck tires on a Prius. This blade seems to beg for hard use with the thick-ish spine extending all the way to the tip and this steel that performs very well IMO. But the handle and construction seems to whisper weight efficiency, economy, and light duty.
It just seems that way. I've got years of hard use on both an Atlantic and Pacific and feel that neither one is going to fail to anything short of some serious abuse.
Just for the sake of conversation. What model would be of interest?
I'd like to see the Stretch get the H1 treatment. No distal taper, hollow ground and appropriate hardware would be an interesting folder.