HARP, disco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
oregon

HARP, disco

Post by oregon »

Whilst shopping at the Shoppe I noticed that the, much beloved, Harp was on the closeout disco list ($10.35) so I ordered a couple without hesitation. (I haven't seen the adios list from Kristi so I am speculating on a hypothesis that the Harp is indeed gone but not forgotten)

Little known fact about the Harp: The bottle opener is cleverly hidden in the head, just below the big striker side, of the hammer (now that is a hammer).

From personal experience I can vouch for the corkscrew. With it you can pull the cork from a bottle of wine without delay, oh yes, score one for the inner man! ;)

I've had one for years and it looks great, no rust, and works without issue. The flap pouch has a belt-loop on the reverse side for vertical carry.

Via con dias Harp.

oregon
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

What the heck, I will forego 2 cups of coffee this week and try one out. Thanks for the tip, oregon :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
nuubee

Post by nuubee »

Oregon,
It's off-thread, but you are a good photographer. Not only technically, but you have a strong sense of composition. FYI, I like the brass compass.
oregon

Post by oregon »

Jay_Ev wrote:What the heck, I will forego 2 cups of coffee this week and try one out. Thanks for the tip, oregon :)
If you buy 2, and nothing else, they are $15 each delivered (under $10 shipping). Hard to pass up.

Coffee-less! Watch out everyone :eek: :D ...

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

nuubee wrote:Oregon,
It's off-thread, but you are a good photographer. Not only technically, but you have a strong sense of composition. FYI, I like the brass compass.
Thank you for looking and for the kind words nuubee.

PM inbound.

oregon
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

I always thought the Harp was pretty cool...I have one but I have never used it.....no more room left for edc...LOL...but just maybe I'll remove it from the safe...I'll throw it in the draw and see what happens...I've been known to search for my elusive cork screw in the utility kitchen draw one to many times....there is hope yet for my Harp......Thanks for the great pic.....Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I just bought two, thanks for the heads up. One for myself and one for a friend for his birthday. It will be one fancy bottle opener.
oregon

Post by oregon »

The bottle opener on the Harp is no longer just a theoritical tool. It is now a tried and true beer bottle opener. Are there any other Spyderco dedicated bottle openers? I know about the wave's alter ego.

Ahhh IPA, I will enjoy it.

Thank you Spyderco for the opener. Were the designers in golden thinking "time to get hammered" when they put the opener on the hammer? So many deep thoughts to ponder. I better get to it.

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

Update: Email from the Shoppe this AM, Jeff said the Harp is in stock.

I had wondered because I hadn't received shipping notice in spite of the email I received showing that my payment for two Harps was received.

oregon
spyderknut

Post by spyderknut »

oregon wrote:The bottle opener on the Harp is no longer just a theoritical tool. It is now a tried and true beer bottle opener. Are there any other Spyderco dedicated bottle openers?

oregon
Firebyrd
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing." -- my grandfather
Collector #041
oregon

Post by oregon »

OK, Okay, uh ha, Firebyrd has an opener on one end.

I need one. Where to find a user...

oregon
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

The firebyrd is awesome. My wife got me one for xmas right after it came out and I love it. it's a little chunky to EDC, but I keep it in my backpack that I take hiking/etc. Really substantial feeling, which I like, and a good looking implement IMO as well.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Did anyone get theirs yet? I can't wait. I ordered two last week, one for me and one for a friend, and a Pacific Salt (awesome price). :D
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

Great Photography

Love the old compass too!

(Very steampunk) :cool:

P.S.

"Disco" might be a cool new model name !?
oregon

Post by oregon »

Freediver wrote:Did anyone get theirs yet? I can't wait. I ordered two last week, one for me and one for a friend, and a Pacific Salt (awesome price). :D
I received the two Harps from the Shoppe the other day. Thru the window in the box they both look tip top. What comfort to order a Spyderco and receive satisfaction. You know, people in Golden when asked how they are doing probably reply "spyderco." :D :D :D

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

Clawhammer wrote:Great Photography

Love the old compass too!

(Very steampunk) :cool:

P.S.

"Disco" might be a cool new model name !?
Thank you kindly Clawhammer.

That beloved brass compass was made in India by a few guys sitting around on the floor. I searched for a few years and finally found these brass smiths. They build to a 200 year old standard. I got them to build a bunch for me and that particular one was the 2nd to the last one of that production run. All have slipped away over the last few years except for one that sits in my knife display case. I've seen similar on the bay and sent the vendor a ping about their origin but only received the bum's rush in return.

If "Disco" was used by Spyderco to name a new model I wonder if they would have to get permission to use that word from the surviving Bee Gees?

oregon
oregon

Post by oregon »

The inventory counter at the Spyderco Factory Outlet, aka company store, shows 18 units remaining...

Hammer with an opener is genius: pry the cap off and hammer it back on all with one tool. Top that Leatherman.

oregon
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

I got mine a while ago, as well as one for my friend. The Harp is a really neat multi tool that can't be beat for that $10.35 price. I keep mine in my firearm ammo/cleaning stuff/etc toolbox.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

I got one today (At $10, how can you say no?). Nifty little (Smaller than I was expecting) toy. I really like the awl and hammer, but overall my Victorinox SAKs and Spirit aren't going to be facing any serious competition...
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
oregon

Post by oregon »

7 units left in Spyderco Outlet Store...

Sidebar: At what age range would you consider giving a Harp to a youngster? I think that I would've been OK and tickled with one at 10 years of age but that's me.

oregon