Do you build Computers? Lets see them!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
STi

Do you build Computers? Lets see them!

Post by STi »

This was my last...Built The 1st week of i7 release.

I7-965
ASUS P6T Deluxe
6gb 1600mhz
Radeon 4870 1gb
2x 250gb SSD drives
Water cooled

harkamus

Post by harkamus »

I build a whole lot more:

EDIT: How're you liking the SSDs?

As far as PC specs, this HTPC is old. It was new when we built it, but we're wanting to upgrade after SSDs become a bit cheaper. Hardware: Quadcore (forget which, lol), 8800 GTX, 3 gigs ram.

EDIT 2: HTPC iteration 1 used to be water cooled. After we upgraded to the quad, we just left it air cooled.
hickster

Post by hickster »

windoze...meh

hickster
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

You want pics of em all? I'm gonna be busy the next couple days :p
1x file server
1x media server
1x backup server
1x surfing/game tower (and shared printer)
NAS via NSLU2

and have another tower that I picked up on tuesday to build (kt4av mobo, cpu, case, psu for $5 :cool :)
I'll even be nice and clean up my network shelf for a shot of that too.
don't suppose you want a shot of the work in progress on my thin clients, just picked up parts to make a couple adapters (40 to 44 IDE)
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

harkamus - How much do you charge? Seriously, once I get a house and good job, I want an in-home theater. Very nice work.
harkamus

Post by harkamus »

D1omedes wrote:harkamus - How much do you charge? Seriously, once I get a house and good job, I want an in-home theater. Very nice work.
The "screen", center channel speaker, left and right front channel speakers, subwoofers (times 2), were all home-built. You can see one of the two subwoofers in the second picture in front of the sofa to the left of the picture. You can barely make out its twin in the third picture; it has a wireless mouse sitting on top of the corner. The whole system is 7.2 channels. 1500 watts x2 for the subs and a few thousand more for the surround channels. The only speakers we didn't build were the sides and the rears.

As far as wiring the house: I have a refrigerator sized server rack in the garage that acts as the server for all my networking. We've wired fiber optic cable to every room in the house for our networking; yes we do use fiber optic NICs.

As far as charging...depends on for what ;) . Parts = however much you want to spend on the projector, speakers, wiring, screen material (our's was just home depot paint we selected after sampling tons of paints for color/contrast during filming). Labor...probably not that much provided you supply the pizza and drinks for the inaugural viewing. If you want custom speakers...that might cost you. Ours were finished to a piano quality finish or hardwood floor finish (complete with polyurethane).

EDIT: You can also see our crude, but effective pulley system for the masking. If you've watched movies at home, you know that not all movies are the same aspect ratio. Some are 16:9. Others are 16:10. Ben Hur is something like 16:5 (or some weird ratio). We use the pulleys to raise and lower the masking so we don't have black bars.
MaxStatic

Post by MaxStatic »

That 'puter has a very Tron feel to it with the lights out.
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Main file server
NSK2480 case
1x 1024gb sata2
1x 512gb sata2
M2N-MX SE mobo
4gb DDR2 800
AMD 4400 cpu

Media server
M3A78-EM mobo
AMD 3800 cpu
4gb DDR2 1066
1x 250gb sata2

Backup file server
KT4AV mobo
1GHz AMD cpu (not sure of the model right now)
1gb DDR 400
5x 160gb IDE
1x 200gb IDE
room for 2 more IDE drives on the PCI RAID card, but the PSU won't support more than the 6 drives I have on it for boot. Need to upgrade and modify a 600W or better.

spaghetti monster lives here :p

I'll get a shot of my surfing tower when I'm cleaning up around there to put in another bookshelf. Still haven't cleaned off my network shelf. Pics suck, but I'm too cheap to replace this digicam.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

I 'made' this computer from an out-of-the box dual core centrino ASUS system. All that was required to case-mod was the recent dust storm that enveloped the eastern seaboard of Australia and an open window. It's now sanctuary to the rare and endangered "Eastern Dust Bunny" :)

KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I've built a few, I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures.
That was my first build, I think I was 13-14 when I did it. Got it looking like Image

It's blue interior (not purple like the pic looks) with black exterior. The purple fan mounts in the second picture are black.

My current case (Also done by me) is green with a black accented front, smooth face (I bondo-ed over all of the holes and painted over them) with a hidden switch to turn it on, and two green fans in the side with two more in the front. I dig it.

Not sure what my next project is going to be.
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket
spyderHS08

Post by spyderHS08 »

KSDbass wrote:I've built a few, I'll have to see if I can dig up some pictures.
That was my first build, I think I was 13-14 when I did it. Got it looking like Image

It's blue interior (not purple like the pic looks) with black exterior. The purple fan mounts in the second picture are black.

My current case (Also done by me) is green with a black accented front, smooth face (I bondo-ed over all of the holes and painted over them) with a hidden switch to turn it on, and two green fans in the side with two more in the front. I dig it.

Not sure what my next project is going to be.

I have that clock on my night stand!!! lol :D :cool: projection, its pretty sweet I got it a longggg time ago!
39 & counting...
:spyder: E3, Para mili, Salt 1 PE, Native, D3 OD, Ladybug, UKPK, Dodo, D4, Tasman, Ladybug Salt, Smallfly, Khukuri, Para Military, USN E4, Persistence, Civilian, Yojimbo, Smallfly, Manix 2 CE, Dodo, Military, D4 , Blackhawk, Pac Salt, Military, Manix 2, Captain, Assist, D'fly PE, Spyderhawk SE, Persian, Lum tanto, Warrior, Lil Temp, Tuff, spyderfly, szabofly, :spyder:

Dodo!
KSDbass

Post by KSDbass »

I've had it for a few years too. I really just use it as a reference point to set my other clocks by because it gives me seconds, and (hopefully) it's correct. the projection is cool though :D
Custom avatar courtesy of Dialex!

Bill Brasky could destroy Chuck Norris.

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket