Accessiblity & balance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BRAM

Accessiblity & balance

Post by BRAM »

Congrats to a bunch of you..You've learned how to use kives..you've learned how to get those blades open..and yes you feel confident..

Ok time to get out from under the security blanket..

I know most of you can get your knife out with no pressure..Some of you might get it out when the pressure is starting..

Take a good training partner..read that one who WON'T cooperate...but will do as needed to take a functional trainer drone..and have your partner slam you, grab you , try to throw you down while you try to access your edged tool..

Have your partner do this lightly then build up to good ole fashion slam n jam..

might be suprised how many sessions it takes to get good at this...

Oh you got it to work in the training area?

good now progress to outside..

Now move to different clothing..

Most of my students end up in the could not get to the tool , or they're dead before they could get to the tool or they're on their butts before they can get to the tool..

It takes a bit of mushin..no mindedness to ignore an attack, fend it off while there is an attachment and maintain balance and coordination..

and it takes a while to be able to actually access one's tool..

it will add a touch of realism to your MBC training...

and it adds a touch of humility to all of us including me about how "easy" it is to access our tools..

be safe..train realistically

Bram
liko

Post by liko »

This is a very good point. Most people think of moves they'd use with knife in hand should an attacker come at them. But unless you walk around all day every day with an open blade in your hand, this is a very unrealistic way of thinking.

If it really counts to be able to access your weapon quickly, I'd go with a fixed blade in a horizontal belt sheath. It takes a LOT of practice and awareness to have the response time necessary to draw, open, and ready a folder when an unexpected attack comes. Most of us would be better off going into a fight bare-handed using CBC, and going for our weapon should we have a chance. I know I'm nowhere close to having the reflexes needed to go for a knife that fast.
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Yup..

Ok I'd instill the practice of maintaining balance, mental & physical while going for one's tool..After a while it gets easier..just be prepared to fall down a few times..ROFL..

bram
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Hi Bram and all,

I recently participated in a two day knife/cqc course that had a significant adrenal stress training component. All six of us had purchased various "tactical" folders in the last year and, like all folks, had practiced a lot with various openings. I don't know how much the others practiced, but I made a point of breaking down the whole process into slow motion clear/grip/index/draw/open to get the mechanics down. My personal blade was a waved Emerson 7, which, once I started to get more fluid, I find to open very very well.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, when we went up against the knife weilding bulletman, we had a Spydie drone, only one of us in several "fights" was able to open the blade one handed (and he acessed and opened early). I personally found the drone difficult to open, even when unstressed... In almost all cases, the blade was drawn and then opened two handed, or was not drawn at all as the fight went straight to hand to hand. In several cases, the initial reaction to a surprise attack was to create space (run...) from the threat before the blade was drawn.

The whole experience was very enlightening for me. Unfortunately, I do not have a waved emerson drone to try the waved openings under adrenaline, so I cannot see how well it works as a gross motor skill. However, it was humbling to find out how poor our fine motor skills are when pumped on adrenaline. At the same time, I was quite amazed to find out how *fast* a two handed opening can be...

I think the upshot is that one needs to work much more on adrenalized training, stress draws and the like if they want to have any reasonably good chance at acessing their tools. I also think that when practicing solo, one should work on recovering fumbled openings, two handed openings, off hand draws and the like.

Never having even handled a Gunting, I can see now how it can be such a useful tool. If one can acess it, even closed it is a useful step up from the empty hand.

Best regards

Clinton

OH, someone said something about not having the reflexes for a quick draw. I would have to disagree, I think. When it comes to stress drawing, I think it has very little to do with reflexes, and a lot more to do with focus. When the BG is coming at you, it is hard to focus on anything but the in your face threat. Even lighting reflexes are of no use if you don't remember to use them... ;-)
BRAM

Post by BRAM »

Clinton:
great post..it's enlightening isn't it?
I personaly felt like a complete clod when Professor did it to me many many years ago..I mean I was really hot @ opening my knives...yeah..right.. I got handed my butt!

The Gunting is designed so all you do is pull it and use it..opening it is not a factor..if you can smack the guy a few times great..or it opens by smacking him...WOW what a concept..As you saw all you can do is smack someone..SHO-Single handed opening isn't in the cards..
Kin-Op that others laugh at was born out of adreilin training.. I CAN bang on someone..the tool opens itself..it kinetically is "BAM" open..I didn't do a thing..ROFL..
Of course you can just beat the stuffings out of them with the Gunting closed!This is why the non cutting -non lethal tool is actually working as well as the live Blade for selfdefense!

Thanks for the great post..
I know YOU understand stress and loss of fine motor skills..

bram
thank you!

Edited by - BRAM on 5/23/2002 2:59:08 PM
Clinton

Post by Clinton »

Hi Bram

Training with the adrenal dump is indeed a radical departure from "regular" martial art training. I do not have much MA experience compared to most folks, but my feeling now is that after one has trained their motor skills into a decent state, that from then on, occasional adrenalized training should be sought in order to download those skills into the lizard brain. Also, I think that practicing, honing and refining reactions that the individual already has ingrained in their adrenall stress response makes sense. Better first to practice and refine what one will probably do, before trying to download new behaviour. But then, I have become a True Believer... ;-)

I have been doing lots of reading up on the Gunting system, and I must say the concept and theory makes a lot of sense. From observing the (albeit for now limited amount of) adrenal training it seems that in many cases, people were able to access and draw their blades with a reasonable amount of success (I was quite surprised at that, actually), but had a severely impaired ability to open them (back to that two handed opening...better practice that more...). Having a tool that you just "pull and use" makes a lot of sense. And, having some training that one can hopefully access under stress that utilizes that tool in all it's various levels makes sense as well. Then one can hopefully not fixate on getting it open when they should be be striking (or running...).

> Of course you can just beat the stuffings out of them with the Gunting closed!This is why the non cutting -non lethal tool is actually working as well as the live Blade for selfdefense!

When one focusses on survival and escape instead of fighting or duelling, it starts to make a lot of sense. I am waiting for the Gunting to show up in a court case or two, especially if it is "tried" in a case where it was drawn and used in the closed position. There could be some interesting case law made there...

I have a question regarding bio-mechanical cutting. The theory makes total sense to me (stopping the ability NOW makes lots of sense over making them leak a bunch so they stop in a little while...), but I cannot, for the life of me, see how one can pull it off in an adrenaline boil. When we went adrenal, the already stripped down 1,2,3 (cut a tight x and thrust for the centre) usually was distilled down to wrap the knife arm, get cut a bit and thrust 15 times to centre body. Very scary stuff. I can see how if one had the presence of mind one could, instead, cut a bicep instead, but in the instant, one is so focussed on the threat and stopping it, that it would be *very* hard to defocus onto a secondary target. So, back to the question... have people trained this stuff under adrenalized conditions?

Best regards

Clinton
sks

Post by sks »

Clinton,

I think that the "G" is the best folder for used in that type of engagement. It is fast to access, it can be used as an extremely effective close quarters impact tool, and it opens upon contact (if you so desire).

While we practice opening the "G" upon first contact, it really shines when you have to deploy the blade while the "Fight is on".

I'm one of Bram's instructors. Drop me an email if you like. Where in BC are you? We can hook up to train sometime if you're close. I'll let you know the next time Bram is in town too, if you like.

Steve

Edited by - sks on 5/27/2002 7:22:55 PM