Aikido

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
arnon

Aikido

Post by arnon »

what are your thoughts ?? ;) :( :) :confused: :eek: :cool: :rolleyes: :p :mad: :o

Arnon
white cloud

Post by white cloud »

imho it really depends on what you are looking for in a martial art and the quality of the instruction. i have spent significant time studying three very different martial arts...aikido, tang soo do and wing chun. there are very positive attributes to all three and i am glad that i had those experiences.

i would observe the instructor's style and competence very carefully. i would ask my self if i am looking for meditation, fitness or combat competency. martial arts have different blends of what they offer the student.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I had to take some Akido for my job. I came from a Ju jitso background so some was familar, some completely backwards.

As a martial art for fighting sake I'd rate it as pretty useless until you get good at it, and it becomes second nature.

As a system more for yourself, and keeping in shape while learning a martial art it's a good one IMO. It shouldn't injure or wear your body out unless you already have pre existing joint ( shoulder especially) conditions or arthritis.

Some of the come alongs and take downs were useful to our system in giving the officers a way to control or redirect an inmate aside from just beating him until he gives in. On the other hand unless you practiced it regularly some of the moves, if not done correctly, would put you the user in a bad position.

It was looked at as a way to protect the system more than the staff I'm afraid.
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Aikido takes many years (like most Martial Arts) to become highly proficient at. Till that happens you get to wear a dress and get thrown all over the dojo. :eek: LOL only kidding....not kidding about the dress part. White Cloud raises a good point, first you need to decide what it is your are looking for in a Martial Art and then go from there.....Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Clawhammer

Post by Clawhammer »

I could never really 'get' the technique right. And the 'style' is hard on the joints.

The wake-up call for me with Aikido was with new members.... just like your average real world adversary, being unexperienced, they never 'knew how to react'. They were hard to put down, and when you did it, was messy and difficult...nothing like what you see in demonstrations or the movies.

Most street fights never get past a few blows maximum.
(attack) or (attack/block/defender returns attack) whom ever gets hit 1st goes down and once you're dazed it's all over. The trick is to not get hit!

Grappling almost never comes into, it unless there are multiple attackers like in pub bouncer brawl.

I studied a combined style, the Sensei created his own style based on an amalgum of various disciplines.
We learned punching & footwork from the best punchers...boxers
Kicking from the best kickers...kick boxers
and grappling & joint-lock techniques from the best grapplers...Aikido
(We even studied Battodo and Iaido)

The idea was that boxers, while extreamly efficient with their fists, are still only using two weapons (and it takes years to get good). The idea was to use all your weapons (feet, knees, elbows, head etc) to get more effective quickly.

I moved away from town, and although I never used the style...it sure as **** got me fitter and more flexible than I am now!
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I practiced for several years, until I moved from the area. It been 5 years and I'm still greatly influenced by the movements. I love the art.

Most people drawn to the practice of Aikido seem to have a good nature. The techniques used in practice are complicated and take a lot of thought. The practice requires good flexibility. So, it’s seems to me to be a “thinking” art with a lot of benefits for general fitness. It is also a martial art that you can practice into your old age; there’s nothing like being thrown around like a rag doll by a +65 year old grandma. I would suggest looking for a sensei that is affiliated with a well known aikido organization like USAF or the Key Society. Check out Aikiweb.com (sp?).

I think everyone that previously responded were pretty fair. As true of any other martial art, it works if you know how to use it. But, progress in Aikido is slow and requires quite a bit of practice.

One thing that makes Aikido more difficult than other martial arts is the way it is taught. Usually you learn by performing complete techniques which can be many steps long. I think a lot of people view this and believe the art is ineffective since it seems unlikely that you will ever be able to perform all of those steps on the street. I agree with part of this. But, this is simply how Aikido is taught. Throughout a technique there are numerous smaller techniques that have applications off the mat. Also, there is a type of technique practiced in most classes that is short, more suited to quicker encounters.

Practicing in real time, with multiple partners, you quickly learn that full techniques would not be used with real attackers. They’re usually flying off in one direction or another early in a technique. But, if they do hang on, there’s always the rest of that technique. The thing to remember is that you are practicing to learn how to move and how to move your partner (attacker).

This brings up another issue with aikido. Falling and hitting the mat hard is par for the course. In fact, it’s the first thing you will need to learn how to do; falling without injury. And, it might one of the most important things you will learn in aikido. And, yes the throwing and falls are for real.

So, in short, the people were great and the techniques captivating.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5
arnon

Post by arnon »

Thank you all for your great input :cool: :) :D
Be well Arnon
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I wouldn't discount boxing either. Unlike some martial arts (im thinking specifically some sport based arts) you can actually learn great footwork and most importantly...you take punches repeatedly.

The funniest line I heard was from a friend who said the first thing he does is ask the teacher what his/her defense is from a knife attack. If he/she shows you a x-block...get the **** out of there.
MountainManJim

Post by MountainManJim »

I have found it's wise to avoid criticizing martial arts. (hopefully I will follow my own advice) They all seem like they should be effective with experience. We are taking about fighting styles. The way a person fights and what works for them is as unique as the individual.

The key seems to be to find an art or sport that fits you. Once found, wishfully you will keep with it and excel. For instance, I found Aikido to have a specific personality, in the art, my dojo and the people that practiced as regulars.

I have heard it said that boxers are some of the most effective fighters. Heck, they need to be fit and skilled to take the continual blows. But, this fighting style is incredibly different than Aikido. Heck, there aren’t any offensive techniques or block with the art.

I should also mention that Aikido is an art and not a sport; no competitions, just testing.

Jim
I Like Sharp Things

Current Favorite: Caly 3.5, Super Blue. We're done here. It doesn't get better than the Caly 3.5