CKE Knives Tri-Bit Karambit

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hannibal Lecter

CKE Knives Tri-Bit Karambit

Post by Hannibal Lecter »

My Dear Friends,

I have recently been honored to be permitted to test and evaluate a new knife design from our own CKE Knives, Craig Wheatley. He and I have corresponded concerning the design for some time, and they are now in my hands for review. Though the overall designs are identical, as each of these versions are quite different in their construction I will review each of them separately.

The knife itself is a short karambit designed for deep concealment carry, generally about the neck or on/in the belt. The most unusual feature of the knife is that it designed to be about an inch shorter overall than most conventional designs without sacrificing blade length. The finger ring is designed to fit the third (ring) finger in conventional grip and the middle finger in reverse grip rather than the index/pinky normally utilized. It might seem a bit unorthodox at first glance, at least in theory, but in practice it works very well indeed.
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Hannibal Lecter

CKE Knives G-10 Model Tri-Bit Karambit

The first model that came to me was entirely comprised of 1/8-inch thick blue-black G-10. Ring inner diameter is one inch. Weight is, well, nominal - practically nothing. You can’t even tell you have it on your person. It arrived in a Kydex sheath designed to be carried around the neck. Retention should be 100% based on the extremely light weight.

It arrived incredibly sharp – much sharper than I had expected G-10 to get.

The craftsmanship on this version is flawless; the lines are smooth, flowing and even. Ergonomics are excellent, as is to be expected, and the knife is comfortable in both forward and reverse grips.

For the karambit-lovers among us the primary, overriding concern is: Does it extend and retract, and if so, how comfortably?

In preparation for its arrival I spent a good deal of time flipping my Emerson trainer from my middle finger. You would be surprised how quickly you will get used to it and adapt; I certainly was. The G-10 knife itself doesn’t flip quite as quickly as a steel version would, obviously, but it is still quick enough for most purposes. I don’t suggest full spins, but normal extension and retractions should prove no problem if you put in just a little practice.

I wanted this knife as a last-ditch close-range weapon as an alternative to the excellent LaGriffe, and being G-10 I knew I couldn’t manage to destroy it with my corrosive body chemistry. I will also be carrying it at the ocean this summer to see how it fares carrying surreptitiously under light clothing in an environment that would destroy anything of conventional steel construction (excepting H-1, but that is a different thing entirely).

Drawing from the sheath around the neck is as simple as any neck knife. Carried butt to the left, the right hand draws it into forward grip easily via the ring finger. Carried butt to the right, inserting your middle finger into the ring draws into an extended grip which will then permit rotation into the palm for the more conventional retracted reverse grip.
Attachments
G-10 Karambit with Sheath.JPG
G-10 Karambit with Sheath.JPG (42.17 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
G-10 Karambit.JPG
G-10 Karambit.JPG (14.46 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
---------------------

"I have followed with enthusiasm the course of your disgrace and public shaming. My own never bothered me except for the inconvenience of being incarcerated, but you may lack perspective."
Hannibal Lecter

CKE Knives 1/8-Inch Steel Model Tri-Bit Karambit

The first of the steel models to encounter my hands was comprised of bead-blasted CPM154 steel. This model features beautiful carbon fiber scales finished flawlessly, beautiful enough to catch the attention of my wife who normally ignores the constant stream of knives coming into and going out of the house. Take it from me – the photos just do not do these scales justice.
Attachments
CF Scales.JPG
CF Scales.JPG (31.91 KiB) Viewed 3916 times
CF Karambit.JPG
CF Karambit.JPG (18.94 KiB) Viewed 4061 times
---------------------

Hannibal Lecter

CKE Knives ¼-Inch Steel Model Tri-Bit Karambit

Amazingly, my absolute favorite of all of these models is the ¼” 440C skeletonized steel version. It has the weight to manipulate well and significantly increased thumb bearing surface on the ring to improve control during extensions and retractions.
Attachments
Skeletonized Karambit Extended.JPG
Skeletonized Karambit Extended.JPG (26.31 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
Skeletonized Karambit Retracted.JPG
Skeletonized Karambit Retracted.JPG (26.27 KiB) Viewed 3944 times
Skeletonized Karambit.JPG
Skeletonized Karambit.JPG (16.55 KiB) Viewed 4062 times
---------------------

Hannibal Lecter

CKE Knives Tri-Bit Karambit Trainer

Additionally, based on my desire to keep my blood loss to a minimum, I opted for a training version also. The trainer is the same steel thickness as the CPM154/carbon fiber version and features G-10 scales.
Attachments
Karambit  Trainer Extended.JPG
Karambit Trainer Extended.JPG (25.93 KiB) Viewed 3804 times
Karambit Trainer Retracted.JPG
Karambit Trainer Retracted.JPG (28.1 KiB) Viewed 3798 times
Karambit Trainer.JPG
Karambit Trainer.JPG (17.85 KiB) Viewed 3939 times
---------------------

Hannibal Lecter

Additional Options...

Craig can obviously craft this knife in several different types and thicknesses of steel, with or without scales, solid construction or skeletonized (with or without cord wrapping). Each knife comes with a molded Kydex sheath set up for neck carry and/or Tek-Lok carry (Tek-Lok not included). He is currently toying with a 3/16” skeletonized version as a middle-ground between the 1/8” and 1/4” versions.

A few specs about these knives:

G-10 Tri-Bit Karambit
Nominal Weight: 0.5 oz
OAL: 6.125”
Blade Length: 3.25”
Edge Length: 2.625”
Thickness: 0.125”
Ring ID: 1.00”

CPM154 Live Blade Tri-Bit Karambit (Carbon Fiber Scales)
Nominal Weight: 3.0 oz
Blade Length: 3.25”
Edge Length: 2.75”

CPM154 Trainer Tri-Bit Karambit (G-10 Scales)
Nominal Weight: 3.5 oz
OAL: 6.25”
Blade Length: 3.375”
Edge Length: N/A

440C Live Blade Skeletonized Tri-Bit Karambit
Nominal Weight: 3.5 oz
Blade Length: 3.00”
Edge Length: 2.75”
Thickness: 0.25”

Please note that at this time Craig is only offering the G-10 versions for sale as he adds equipment to his shop to streamline production, as well as to work out which materials will be optimum for this particular blade design.
---------------------

Hannibal Lecter

Personal Thoughts and Observations...

After living with this design for several months now I have a few things to share concerning its use and deployment.

First, being a longtime karambit user, I assumed (erroneously, as it so happens) that changing from the index finger to the middle finger for manipulations on a karambit would be highly problematic. I was pleasantly surprised that this was not the case, and in fact I have had exceptional results in a very short time. I will grant that full-on spins are probably not a great idea, as getting (and keeping) your fingers well out of the way of the blade can be difficult at best in a full rotation. This isn’t to say that it can’t be done, as I have managed it with both the trainer and the live blades, just that prudence is the watchword.

This design shines most brightly as a deep concealment piece similar to the excellent Perrin LaGriffe. Drawn into forward grip you enjoy quite a lot of blade reach over and above many competing blades. In reverse grip (a la the more typically-utilized grip for the karambit) you have all of the strengths of the traditional karambit in a smaller, lightweight package.

The G-10 version is the quintessential neck knife. Corrosion-proof, lightweight, and more than enough blade for defensive purposes. I carry this one daily – work with it, jog with it, forget you have it until you need it.

The 440C skeletonized version would be my first choice for full-on combat, feeling beefy and robust in your hand. Not too heavy or ungainly, just solid and well-balanced, exemplifying what a karambit should feel like.

Certainly it will require a little practice and thought for the frequent karambit user to change which finger goes into the ring, but fear not: in the event you manage to put in your first finger rather than your second there is a sufficient unsharpened area immediately behind the blade edge to prevent more than a very minor nick to your pinky finger. It isn’t enough unsharpened space to make the blade too large and awkward, but it does provide a very small measure of protection in the event you spazz out and forget where your fingers belong.

I will be carrying the 440C version IWB for a time and see how things develop, as it is more than light and slim enough to be very handy and yet very concealable. Being that none of these blade lengths exceed 3.5”, all are perfectly legal for me to carry concealed without garnering undue attention from our friends in law enforcement. I will also be trying these out in Mercop’s Mercharness to see how they do in inverted carry.

All versions arrived ridiculously sharp, and fit and finish are excellent throughout.
---------------------

bigkahunasix

Post by bigkahunasix »

Hmmmm, another razor sharp knife designed for me to A)draw from deep concealment. B)spin and/or flip into multiple positions for a variety of uses.

**shuffles to the kitchen- "honey, go to wally world tomorrow and get more band-aids, gauze and antiseptic and while your in town, stop by the ER and make sure they have plenty of typed and crossmatched blood on hand."***"Yes honey, I'm ordering another kerambit- how did you guess??"**
Been packing at least two Spyderco knives a day since 1984

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Nice review Kurt....looks like a great functioning K-bit for sure.... ;) Doc :D
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

Good to see Craig's still making toys
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Nice K-bit. I also like the skeletonized one better. :)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
buglerbilly

Post by buglerbilly »

dialex wrote:Nice K-bit. I also like the skeletonized one better. :)

+1 on that comment........... ;)

Regards,

BRIAN
KP

Post by KP »

vampyrewolf wrote:Good to see Craig's still making toys
+1
Great toys! But, more importantly, glad to see Craig is doing fine. Wasn't he missing from forums for quite some time?
cobrajoe

Post by cobrajoe »

That G-10 kbit is an interesting piece. I keep seeing the small holes in the handle and think "I bet you could put some G-10 scales on it" :p

I'd be sure to use G-10 pins too :D
MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

My Dear Friend,
cobrajoe wrote:That G-10 kbit is an interesting piece. I keep seeing the small holes in the handle and think "I bet you could put some G-10 scales on it" :p

I'd be sure to use G-10 pins too :D
The holes were actualy originally intended to allow for either a set of scales or a paracord wrap should the end user desire one. I am not a fan of paracord wrapped knives and consider scales a bit superfluous on a G-10 knife - the thinner and lighter the better, at least within reason. :D

--------
Hannibal
---------------------

vampyrewolf

Post by vampyrewolf »

KP wrote:+1
Great toys! But, more importantly, glad to see Craig is doing fine. Wasn't he missing from forums for quite some time?
He hasn't been here in over a year.
Coffee before Conciousness
Why do people worry more if you argue with your voices than if you just talk with them? What about if you lose those arguements?
Slowly going crazy at work... they found a way to make the voices work too.
raven

Post by raven »

Hey HL, Very Nice review and Sweet design ;) . Thanks for sharing and look foward to your future observations with it. I know from the past ... You Always discover something new in a design to analyze and is ALWAYS Interesting :) . Take Good Care and Be Safe Always.

God Bless :)

-raven-
ISAIAH 40:31 But those who wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; They will mount up on wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

No-one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb... It's yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
CKE

Post by CKE »

Hey guys! It has been awhile since I was around. Thanks for all the well wishes :)
Thanks for doing the review my Good Dr.!

It was an iteresting project and I have some ideas on improvements and tweaks to the design.

Take Care
Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!
way2cold

Info request

Post by way2cold »

Good day, I was wondering how/where I can purchase those knives?

Thanks.
Hannibal Lecter

Hmmm...

My Dear Friend,
way2cold wrote:Good day, I was wondering how/where I can purchase those knives?

Thanks.
Drop Craig an email: ckeknives AT gmail DOT com

--------
Hannibal
---------------------