Tenacious lock fails

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RazorSharp86

Tenacious lock fails

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hey guys.
It might have been discussed before, but somehow I probably missed it.
I just saw a clip on youtube.com Where they show a Tenacious lock fail. Anybody knows what the **** is up with that?
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Was it posted by the same person who showed a Military lock failing? The one where if you watch closely you can see him release the lock before striking the spine on his leg? :rolleyes:
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

yablanowitz wrote:Was it posted by the same person who showed a Military lock failing? The one where if you watch closely you can see him release the lock before striking the spine on his leg? :rolleyes:
One posted youtube spine wack test proves nothing..... except that PERHAPS that particular Tenacious failed that particular individual test; there is absolutely nothing scientific about that test....there is not even any commentary, that I can discern, on the nature of his test !

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
SEH95B

Post by SEH95B »

Out of curiosity I batoned and hammered my tenacious. It has some marks on the pine now but the lock never failed.
SpydercoKnut

Post by SpydercoKnut »

do you have the link??

:spyder:
Lusting for a Spyderco in A2 or 154cm

:spyder:
araneae

Post by araneae »

I saw some guys using lightsabers on youtube, they must be real. :p
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

I appreciate everybody's sarcasm. I'd lough if I did not dread the fact as much as i do.
The Tenacious fails video was posted by a user who calls himself Alexx40in. Which is not the same guy who posted the Military video (cannot recall the guy's name).
Also, in that video all can clearly see that he does not unlock it just before it hits the surface with the spine.
Anyways, here's the link, see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7PnQA7ZPwE
araneae

Post by araneae »

We still have no idea what he did to that knife before the video was shot. I will continue using both of my Tenacious knives without a second thought.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
grunt0331

Post by grunt0331 »

ya know, these stupid "tests" that the "knife experts" put a knife through really annoy the **** out of me. tonight, i will order a Tenacious and put it through some real life blue collar testing.
so, i guess this thread achieved a positive result. it sold a tenacious. i'll let you know.

that stupid "spine whack" test (or whatever it is called) is useless. never, in my many years of using a knife, have i experienced a situation that this test simulates.

...sorry for the anger, maybe it is the tequila talking. cheers.
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

RazorSharp86 wrote:I appreciate everybody's sarcasm. I'd lough if I did not dread the fact as much as i do.
The Tenacious fails video was posted by a user who calls himself Alexx40in. Which is not the same guy who posted the Military video (cannot recall the guy's name).
Also, in that video all can clearly see that he does not unlock it just before it hits the surface with the spine.
Anyways, here's the link, see for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7PnQA7ZPwE
...dread what fact ?....that perhaps one Tenacious failed a spine wack test or that the liner lock fails repeatedly on all or most Tenacious and is poorly executed ? I wouldn't think you are implying the latter ? ;)

- regards
"Our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win by fearing to attempt."
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
WhiteWillie

Post by WhiteWillie »

grunt0331 wrote:
i guess this thread achieved a positive result. it sold a tenacious.
...sorry for the anger, maybe it is the tequila talking. cheers.
Maybe two positive results from this thread.

I'm going to go make myself a drink!
Mr. Bill

Old guys just know stuff!

:spyder: ATR PE
:spyder: Chinook III
:spyder: Lil' Temperance PE
:spyder: Manix PE
:spyder: Mini-Manix PE
:spyder: Native Black Blade SE
:spyder: Native III PE
:spyder: Para Military (S30V)
:spyder: Spyderfly
ClockWork

Post by ClockWork »

Well For what its worth,

I just did about 15 of the hardest spine whack i could (With my puny little girly arms) on my Tenacious

I taped the blade and had leather work gloves, and covered my hand with a dish wrag, So i wouldnt sorta "half-do-it" because I was afraid of injury

No fail, or anything. There is a very small ding in the back of the blade now though.

My Tenacous is a PE Factory Second, So, take that however you'd like.

I did have a Old Endura3 that the Lock failed on me. I never really abused it. Maybe some light camping goofing off branch carving was the most work it ever saw.
The Lock failed when I was cutting a Plastic Clam pack open.
I sent it to Spyderco, and they sent me a new one (E4)

-Clock

edit/ Additionally:
IMveryHO, I think the "Spine whack test" Its not really a "test" Theres not reasonable/measurable/reliable/repeatable information to get from it. Maybe for wood buttoning purposes i can see the thought process... but its sorta a bad analog.

Not to start any ruckus or open worm cans here (Some people can get a little work up over nothing): But i think that the little Lock-Strength hanging Weight test that Cold Steel does on there little 'proof' videos is a much better means of "testing"
:) Favorites: Black Paramil w/ D2 blade, PE Mini-Manix, S90v Military, Civilian, SE Dodo, PE Police, Sage

Vist my eBay store: Life and Liberty Gear
Tactical & MOLLE gear, Headgear and more

stores.ebay.com/Life-and-Liberty-Gear
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

ClockWork wrote:Well For what its worth,

I just did about 15 of the hardest spine whack i could (With my puny little girly arms) on my Tenacious

I taped the blade and had leather work gloves, and covered my hand with a dish wrag, So i wouldnt sorta "half-do-it" because I was afraid of injury

No fail, or anything. There is a very small ding in the back of the blade now though.

My Tenacous is a PE Factory Second, So, take that however you'd like.

I did have a Old Endura3 that the Lock failed on me. I never really abused it. Maybe some light camping goofing off branch carving was the most work it ever saw.
The Lock failed when I was cutting a Plastic Clam pack open.
I sent it to Spyderco, and they sent me a new one (E4)

-Clock
.....thank you for that test Clock. I just ordered a Tenacious. :)

It's difficult to believe that Spyderco would market a folding knife without having thoroughly tested the lock for reliability. It just isn't going to happen.

PS Sorry about the dent on the spine of your Tenacious. ;)
"Measure for Measure"
-W. Shakespeare
Sherpa

Post by Sherpa »

I have learned to not give a hoot about a "SPINE WHACK TEST" If I need to use the spine of a knife to hammer something, well I don't know what I would do. But I would not use the spine of the knife.

I always think of every lock as the mechanical thing that it is. EVERYTHING fails eventually. I use my knives so that if it does fail I will not be between it and the handle.

To me it is sort of like gun handling rules. You never point a gun at someone even if you are sure it unloaded. In proper gun handling safety anyways. Sometimes people are mistaken, and sometimes mechanical things don't work right.
markg

Post by markg »

Spine whacking is a bad test of a liner lock, there are safer and more reliable ways to test the integrity of a liner lock.

I have also become very leery of YouTube videos of knife failures.

A forum, like this one, is a more reliable place to get information on the preformace of a knife.
v8r

Post by v8r »

All I can say is use the knife the way it was designed,and you shouldn't have a problem. I have a tenacious, and it locks up tighter than any of my other spydies.A liner lock is not the strongest lock ever made anyway. :)
DWRW

Post by DWRW »

I have a Tenacious and I am very confident the lock will do what "I" need it to do.

I have never spine whacked it. But, from what I can tell, the lock seems very solid and secure.

As has been stated, liner locks are not the stongest locks on the market. But, I personally feel too much emphasis is put on lock strength. I am not even that old (IMO), but I still grew up with slip-joint folders as my first folders. Guess what..... NO locks. Slip-joints have been used for MANY years and still are.

That said, I like a simple lock. I don't personally need a vault strength lock on my folders though. When I cut something, I cut into the edge of the blade which.... amazingly.... puts force in the direction that the knife doesn't move.

Granted, I can imagine scenarios where a blade could become stuck and need wiggling or similar to dislodge and force the blade towards the closed position. But, I still am very capable of functioning any of many folders I have had over the years without having one close on my hand. Hopefully, I can continue to be careful enough with my blades to not have serious harm. But, if I ever do "serously" cut myself (as opposed to my minor knicks from playing around), I doubt lock failure will be the blame.

Actually, .... I have to admit, I have closed a blades edge on my hand.... But, when I was intentionally closing the blade with one hand "after" releasing the lock and I didn't get my fingers out of the way. Guess what... it was probably the locks fault. That said, I still like locks.

---------------

On a side note about the video: I don't know anything about the guy who made the video. But, in my mind, it is very possible that somebody could have sabataged a knife by regrinding the bevel on the lock and/or blade and made a video to show failure to tarnish the integrity of Spyderco's quality.

For my part, I have no reason to believe the video showed a legitimate lock failure and no reason to believe the video was from a source with non-biased integrity.

JaM

Post by JaM »

Instead of making a vid for youtube, he should have send it to Spyderco :) .
Like the rest, I have no trouble at all using my Tenacious, 'even' after this.
RazorSharp86

Post by RazorSharp86 »

Hello again fellows.
I've also got 2 Tenacious. PE and SE.
Love them both, and no lockup problems / failing of liner.
I guess i just needed reassurance, that just like the Military video, there is only ONE, "unique" Tenacious, that has that specific problem.
And yes, eventually all liners are bound to fail.
Still a great folder for a great price.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I can't help but wonder what motivates people to publish 'lock failure' videos. Are we supposed to think that because a knife, out of thousands of others, fails a 'spine whack' test, all the other knives are suspect?

I really wish that people would stop publishing statistically flawed tripe, of questionable empirical value. Their time would be much better spent talking to Spyderco W&R.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser