Question about my new Tasman SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Veegun

Question about my new Tasman SE

Post by Veegun »

My first :spyder: was a G10 SE Caly3, my second is a new Tasman SE. I got it for yard work and my upcoming trip to Kauai where it will get and stay very wet.

I'm new to this knife thing so bare with me. I was a bit surprised to see that the Salt was not steel down the middle like the Caly. Can I assume the FRN handle is tough enough to last a few years?

I am also a bit concerned about the black screw that holds the clip on. Wont it rust inside? Or is it Titanium as well?

I love the blade and it's light weight but am a bit concerned about it's life span.
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

I had a serrated Tasman that I've since sold. I really beat the **** out of that thing, and it kept coming back for more. FRN is a surprisingly strong material and should hold up fine to regular knife use.

I wouldn't worry about the clip screw. I'm almost certain that Spyderco uses non-rusting metal on the entire knife, blade to butt. I never had any problem with mine rusting, and I don't think anyone has been able to get H1 steel to rust up to this point, and there have been several torture tests done.

The blade will get scratched up rather easily; this is the nature of H1, but it won't effect its performance at all. H1 actually work hardens, so the more you use the knife and sharpen it, the harder the steel will become and the longer it should keep an edge for ya.
Blackhair

Post by Blackhair »

More praise for the SE Tasman right here! That knife is awesome! :D

In answer to your questions: The FRN is plenty strong. Some FRN models, like the Delica 4, have skeletonized steel liners to give added rigidity to the FRN, but it's really not necessary in most instances (the worst that you'll get out of the Tasman's FRN is a little bit a flex).

The clip screw, as well as the clip (and the lockbar, I believe) are made out of titanium. Salt knives have no parts that can rust or corrode. :cool:

Enjoy your new knife!

P.S. You asked if the FRN was tough enough to last "a few years". Well, considering the fact that there are people on this forum who have been carrying a first-generation Delica/Endura (made out of FRN) for over 10 years, then I'd say so :p
Back from an extended hiatus.