G-10 Scales for the Mule

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'm assuming the object of the game is to have one set of handles that an owner can move from Mule to another, with minlmal fuss and bother. If that's the cae, then a system which does not involve modifying each handle, would seem the best. Tricod's system, with machined sleeves to allow standard hardware to be used without modifying the knife, would be one logical approach. Turning down a standard size Chicago screw or barrel bolt to fit the hole, would be the other, assuming it could be done. Either way, only one set of the custom hardware would be needed, so the additional expense would be minimal.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MedicineMan

Post by MedicineMan »

I'm no expert at this but a couple of thoughts occur to me. The holes in the mule handle measure .164 inches which roughly makes 4.12 mm. Short of machining a custom sleeve to hold the 1/8 inch barrel pivot (as Tricod so eloquently performed), 4 mm OD brass tubing which runs about .99 cents for a foot at the hobby store should work. The ID of the brass tubing is 3.1 mm or .123 inches. If we cut a 3/16 length of this tubing and then make a thin saw cut lengthwise, the brass sleeve should expand over the .125 (1/8th in.) barrel pivot and fit snugly within the 4.12 mm handle hole. One other thought about putting removable scales on carbon blades and the rust that can form under them is that -although epoxy is great to seal out moisture, most are not going to be compatible with changing out the scales. I am planning to use "no residue aerosol brake cleaner" on the blade to degrease then apply a non-hardening loctite ?purple ?blue to seal out moisture and be relatively easy to remove the scales for swap out. This works well under scope mounts on rifle barrels, etc.. with which I have a little more practice. Just some thoughts at present and only theory currently.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

The Deacon wrote:I'm assuming the object of the game is to have one set of handles that an owner can move from Mule to another, with minlmal fuss and bother. If that's the cae, then a system which does not involve modifying each handle, would seem the best...
here's my "ghetto rig" w/ self adhering gauze tape :o tennis anyone? :p

brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

oh yeah, I forgot to share my Kustom Kardboard sheath....feel free to PM me if you'd like to me to make one for you :D

brian
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

I guess I'm just having a hard time understanding why it's so much more difficult to make a set of scales for each mule than it is to switch the scales every time you want to use a different steel.
I suppose it would make the whole "scientific testing" thing more accurate, as you would have exactly the same ergonomics with each steel, but I'm not so sure that that's such a big deal.

That said, hats off to those of you who are making scales and fasteners for the team.
—Daniel Jackson
gunmike1

Post by gunmike1 »

jaislandboy wrote:here's my "ghetto rig" w/ self adhering gauze tape :o tennis anyone? :p

Since the hardware local store didn't have paracord, I think you just showed me how to make my scales. I am going to send my Mule off to Tom Krein for a sheath anyway, in which case I'd have to remove the paracord for the Kydex forming. That looks quick, cheap, and easy, as well as easy to remove and replace to maintain the surface below it if it gets wet.

Mike
markg

Post by markg »

jaislandboy wrote:here's my "ghetto rig" w/ self adhering gauze tape :o tennis anyone? :p

Bingo... I'm right on this as soon as I hit the drug store.
JspyEDC

Post by JspyEDC »

jaislandboy wrote:oh yeah, I forgot to share my Kustom Kardboard sheath....feel free to PM me if you'd like to me to make one for you :D

You need to video it, and please provide the link for the benefit of all Forum members... :D
Spyderco Collector #162
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

JspyEDC wrote:You need to video it, and please provide the link for the benefit of all Forum members... :D
LOL :D yeah JspyEDC I havent yet figured out how to attach a small Teklok to it; I find the clear packaging tape to be a refreshing change from my boring black duct tape; however, i think my next Kustom sheath will feature official usps Priority Mail tape (best of all its free :eek: )....making my tax dollars go to work ;)
Gunmike1: I'm glad I could contribute (in some small way) to enhance and further your enjoyment of the Mule Team Experience :rolleyes: :p :D
brian
SimpleIsGood229

Post by SimpleIsGood229 »

jaislandboy wrote:oh yeah, I forgot to share my Kustom Kardboard sheath....feel free to PM me if you'd like to me to make one for you :D

That looks terribly unsafe! The blade could very easily poke through that thin cardboard! What were you thinking, anyway?! :confused:

You need to add some duct tape! :p :D
God Bless Texas!
[RIGHT]Avatar courtesy of Dialex[/RIGHT]
Μολὼν λαβέ

2009 - Birth of the H-1 Spyderhawk! Thank you, Sal!