Sal & Eric Glesser, meet Peter Atwood...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Sal & Eric Glesser, meet Peter Atwood...

Post by Bolster »

If you are aware of Peter Atwood's knives and tools, you know they're unique and scarce. There's always a mountain of people waiting to buy the limited few tools and knives he produces.

Recently he mentioned that he has been toying with the idea of licensing his designs to a major knife manufacturer. He is waiting for a manufacturer to approach him on a collaborative effort.

This would require a creative, adventuresome, forward-thinking and quality-minded knife manufacturer of some sort, who is known for their collaborative efforts...

Hmm, now if we could only identify such a company... hmm, hmm...
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
quattrokid73

Post by quattrokid73 »

this is something i would truly enjoy as well. both spyderco and atwood are at the top of their game interms of design and functionality.
http://www.coroflot.com/aham73

:spyder: Orange Millie, UKPK Orange, DP UKPK, FRN UKPK Maroon DP, Urban Wharnie, Chokwe, Zulu, Mini Persian G-10, Spin Etched, Leafstorm, Caly Jr Gray, Sage 3, Lum CF

Every machine is the spiritualization of an organism.
gac

Post by gac »

Atwood has some neat looking stuff.
The CoPilot

Post by The CoPilot »

....the PryBaby becomes the SpyBaby! :D :D :D
><> The most important blood trail leads to the Cross <><
C09 CoPilots My Specialty
Integrity is Being Good Even if No One is WatchingTM
Looking for: C04 Executive plain edge, C09 CoPilot plain edge with brass liners and a G-2 marked blade
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If it comes true, please, a TOOL steel for the prybaby
SoCal Operator

Post by SoCal Operator »

A production verson of one of Atwood's custom folders would be interesting, and would sell well to the hords of Atwood collectors (EDC forums) looking for a knife they're not afraid to use. A Spyderco pry tool would be interesting as well.
Ask me where I got my awesome SUPERHAWK!

More like Mid-Cal now

Be Prepared
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

I love Atwood's designs.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

A prybaby collaboration would be huge for Spyderco. At a reasonable price they would sell well as companions to Spyderco knives.

It'd also be nice to be able to point to it the next time someone complains about breaking the tip off his/her military.
araneae

Post by araneae »

This would be a fantastic collab. I love all the Atwood stuff & would love to see this happen. Atwood designs at a friendly price point would be great. PLEASE- Think about it :spyder: crew!
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Jenner 515

Post by Jenner 515 »

Gonna disagree.

Part of what makes Atwood's stuff so dear...is it is rare and hard to get ahold of. He is a true artist at his craft and the time and effort and design he puts into that craft makes him unique.

Spyderco is the same way in my mind, they are simply the best at what they do IMHO. I was thinking the other day as I was using a FRN Endura 2, PE for cutting something...

If Sal and Eric and the rest of the gang Only produced one model of knife, for arguments sake...an Endura or Delica, and the sharpening system. I'd still buy only their product. I'm just lucky that they make a wide variety of cutting tools...I do not believe that it would be in either Atwood's or Spyderco's best interest to explore too deeply more than one collaboration.

That being said...I'd probably purchase said collaboration.

But then again I could be wrong.
I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar.
Chucula

Post by Chucula »

I do not think Atwood knives would make sense in the Spyderco line. His knives, in my experience, are more about gadget factor than true utility. Mass producing them to make them cheap would be nice, but that wouldn't change the gadgety nature.

I think his tools are great though. The keyton is simple but useful.
GeorgeMaggos

Atwood Folders, Knives & Tools

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

SoCal Operator wrote:A production verson of one of Atwood's custom folders would be interesting, and would sell well to the hords of Atwood collectors (EDC forums) looking for a knife they're not afraid to use. A Spyderco pry tool would be interesting as well.
I really like Peter Atwoods products I have 3 of his folding knives the Warlock & the Solar Arc & the UFO & also a bunch of his keyring tools / knives : )

I would welcome a collaboration between Spyderco & Peter it would be a great match.

Now if we could get it to happen thats another thing he has recently stated if he were to be contacted by a producer he might consider it so the first step in the process would be for Sal or a representative of his to contact Peter.

[CENTER]I think it would be great for a collab folder & some of Peter's discontinued tools he is only a one man shop & cant keep up with the demand for people wanting his products.[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image

Image[/CENTER]

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

GMaggos wrote:...he is only a one man shop & cant keep up with the demand for people wanting his products.
LOL, George, I think he'd have a difficult time keeping up with just YOUR demand! That's a heckuva collection, congrats!
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Chucula wrote:His knives, in my experience, are more about gadget factor ...
Chuck, you say "gadget" like it's a bad thing... :p

By the way, Chuck, where'd the idea of "cheap" come from? My understanding is that Atwood is considering a collaboration to meet demand, not to cheapen his product. I think his high standards have been one of the things keeping him from a collaboration previously. The reason I think the match might be a good one is that "cheap" is the last thing that comes to my mind for either Atwood or Spyderco items. Some people on another forum were suggesting a collaboration with a different knife company (which I shall not name for the sake of shiny footprints), and I thought Spyderco would be a superior option.

The real argument against a collaboration, to my sight, is that it could impact the value of Atwood collections. I can imagine the buy-and-flip crowd not wanting readily available Atwood items because the value of their own collections would go down, and their eBay sales would be impacted.
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

Great collection. I'd personally like to see something like the UFO in a larger size, maybe with a compression lock. And it would have to have a finish like the one he sold on eBay a couple of months ago.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!
GeorgeMaggos

Spyderco / Atwood = win - win

Post by GeorgeMaggos »

Bolstermanic wrote:LOL, George, I think he'd have a difficult time keeping up with just YOUR demand! That's a heckuva collection, congrats!
Yes I do collect things / stuff from makers other than Spyderco - where I am a numbered collector.

Keep in mind I did not collect these things overnight it takes time to collect Peter Atwoods pieces & I bought none of them from eBay.
Bolstermanic wrote: If you are aware of Peter Atwood's knives and tools, you know they're unique and scarce. There's always a mountain of people waiting to buy the limited few tools and knives he produces.

Recently he mentioned that he has been toying with the idea of licensing his designs to a major knife manufacturer. He is waiting for a manufacturer to approach him on a collaborative effort.

Hmm, now if we could only identify such a company... hmm, hmm...
Yes which comapny could pull it off?
The CoPilot wrote:....the PryBaby becomes the SpyBaby! :D :D :D
The SpyBaby sounds cool.
Will V. wrote:I love Atwood's designs.
Me too!
araneae wrote:This would be a fantastic collab. I love all the Atwood stuff & would love to see this happen. Atwood designs at a friendly price point would be great. PLEASE- Think about it :spyder: crew!
I agree & yes please think about it.
Will V. wrote:Great collection. I'd personally like to see something like the UFO in a larger size, maybe with a compression lock. And it would have to have a finish like the one he sold on eBay a couple of months ago.
Hey Will,

Which finish are you talking about on the UFO folder?

~George
[CENTER]
~~~~~~~~~~
"The test of courage comes when we are in the minority.
The test of tolerance comes when we are in the majority. "[/CENTER]

[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Even though you can't see Him, GOD has always been there for you <><[/CENTER]
potterma

Post by potterma »

I've got a Solar Arc and a Goblin small fixed blade, and would love to see a collaboration!

A collaboration will not reduce the value of Peter's original works, it will just make some of his designs more accessible to more folks. Always a good thing!
www.KnifeRights.org
By Knife Owners. For Knife Owners.

CLB Designs

My Flickr Page
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I would like to see his pocket tools as a collab. Not to interested in his knives.

Funny thing about collabs., some mentioned in this thread there was a risk of somehow cheapening the value of original Atwoods. Somehow I doubt that would happen. It doesn't happen to other collabs, why would Atwoods be any different? Greater chance of increasing value of the originals.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Killdozer

Post by Killdozer »

I am a Atwood collector and a bigger Spyderco collector. It would be more of a even collection but just as I start collecting Peter's stuff he started getting some attention and know it's hard to get anything. He is working on fixing this.

Peter rarely makes many knives and the resale value is amazing... making them impossible to acquire. He likes to focus on gadgets. I believe he even said that they take too much time to make. SOUNDS like the perfect candidate to me! Right know on his blog he is discussing new stuff to try to make his work available to more people. I think he would do it if Sal was interested.

The Solar Arc looks like ti could be the next Chinese folder. Gorgeous knife that is pretty open and closed. The UFO looks production ready to me, if they keep the hex opener the collectors are going to flip out for them because it would be very unique addition to the collection.

The MSOP would be a great fixed blade option. I LOVE mine.

-Mat
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

thanks for the pix George (nice collection :eek: ;) :cool: ) ... my 1st glimpses of Atwood's knives :)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."