So I pulled the trigger on a NIB ATR Ti SE

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Will V.

So I pulled the trigger on a NIB ATR Ti SE

Post by Will V. »

I'm just hoping I won't regret having to sell my T-Mag and Endura ZDP in order to finance it. :( I sold a few others, but those two are the ones I liked best.

However, the ATR Ti is on the way. :D And I will soon commission a forum member to perform a G-10 conversion on my Navigator II.
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

Will V. wrote:I'm just hoping I won't regret having to sell my T-Mag and Endura ZDP in order to finance it. :( I sold a few others, but those two are the ones I liked best.

However, the ATR Ti is on the way. :D And I will soon commission a forum member to perform a G-10 conversion on my Navigator II.
Well, Will. you can always replace the Endura ZDP and the T-Mag seems plentiful, but I haven't seen very many Titanium ATRs' around. I think you made a good investment decision.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

It took me over 6 months of searching to find my Ti ATR and when I found it I was just lucky.It was in a small local store that has lots of old, NIB knives around because of their prices. Their customer base is more into chefs knives and customs and randalls. MSRP is about as low as they'll go.

I don't regret a bit giving up what I did to get it. I don't forsee ever getting rid of it. Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
VultureParade

Post by VultureParade »

The Ti ATR is an incredible knife. It was sad to see them go out of production.
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

The Mastiff wrote:It took me over 6 months of searching to find my Ti ATR and when I found it I was just lucky.It was in a small local store that has lots of old, NIB knives around because of their prices. Their customer base is more into chefs knives and customs and randalls. MSRP is about as low as they'll go.
I got lucky as well. I have a ATR SS, and before yesterday, I thought that I'd really like to have the ATR Ti, but not badly enough to spend any time pursuing one. This one kind of fell in my lap, and at about 15% below MSRP. I think I did well.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

Percival wrote:Well, Will. you can always replace the Endura ZDP and the T-Mag seems plentiful, but I haven't seen very many Titanium ATRs' around. I think you made a good investment decision.
It sounds like a good decision. The T-Mag interests me as well, but like Percival said they aren't exactly flying of the shelves, so if something more rare comes up you gotta pull the trigger. :) Let us know how you like it. I'd also like to see the G-10 Navigator II when it's done.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

mrappraisit wrote:I'd also like to see the G-10 Navigator II when it's done.
I will definitely post pics of that one when it's done. I hesitate to post details until they are finalized, but it should be a one-of-a-kind Navigator II. :D
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

mrappraisit wrote:The T-Mag interests me as well
I never carried or used the T-Mag, but the ergonomics were very pleasing to me. It is very lightweight, and is extremely comfortable to hold. I guess I wish the blade were FFG, and a different shape.
mrappraisit

Post by mrappraisit »

The flat sabre grind doesn't rule it out for me, but I probably wouldn't use or carry it as often as other knives I own. It mostly appeals to me because I want a "new school" non-locking folder, and it seems like a pretty good deal at the clearance prices. The grind also "looks" higher than a similar grind on the ZDP Delica, do you know if it is ground higher than the Delica?
Enjoy the new knife when you get it.
After enlightenment, the laundry.
bladese97

Post by bladese97 »

VultureParade wrote:The Ti ATR is an incredible knife. It was sad to see them go out of production.
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: Oh **** ya!!! I have two...1/pe, and 1/se, and they both see lots of pocket time, and just kick@$$ :eek:
:spyder: :spyder: :cool: :spyder: :spyder: "Spyderco...does a pocket good":spyder:
Spyderco Rocks!!!! "A wise man once said all knives were created equal...Obviously, he meant Spydercos''
As of 1-29-08, I am a proud member of Knife Rights!
Will V.

Post by Will V. »

Well, the ATR arrived. I only spent a few minutes looking at it, but my first impression is that the titanium handle is really cool, a little more ergonomic than the stainless, and the compression lock doesn't pinch my hand at all, like the stainless one does.

However, overall, I think the finish on the stainless/Seki version is better than the titanium/Golden version. The blade opens so much more smoothly, and the blade itself looks more finely finished. Both are the sharpest knives I've ever seen out of the box.
"leave shiny footprints"
- Sal
-
Member, International Order of the Spyderedge!