A CLOSER LOOK at > Spyderco's Specialized small fixed blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

A CLOSER LOOK at > Spyderco's Specialized small fixed blades

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco is about the only company I know who has made some strides with smaller fixed blades. The one the immediately comes to mind that is now getting some collector appeal along with the fact that it took this long for it to become a martial arts, self defense icon is the RONIN.

Now the one I really liked that was made in the Halls of Golden Colorado is the SWICK. Definitely destined to become a collector piece for sure. The SWICK like the other Small Fixed Blade Spyders could be labeled a specialty blade. The only fixed blade Spyder made in S-30V. When you think about it you don't see many fixed blade in S-30V much at all. The SWICK as far as I know is the only Fixed Blade to come from Golden Colorado up till now but I am sure it won't be the last.

Now the one that got virtually forgotten about for almost a year before collectors starting flocking to it is the SPOT model. With 4 variations of that model you would think it would have gotten more fanfare the first go around. But the knife was so small that it faced the perils of an extremely limited market. But now with the Micarta handled version becoming the envy of Ebay I am sure we are going to hear more about it in due time.

The RONIN, The SWICK & The SPOT are knives so unique that they could easily be labeled "job specific". I want all of us to take a CLOSER LOOK at these most unique small fixed blades and tell why you were initially drawn to them. Also tell us what you like and what you may not like about these specialized Fixed Blade knives. If you have a favorite out of the bunch then please fill us in as to which one and why. So let's do that>> Let's take a CLOSER LOOK at the RONIN, SWICK & SPOT
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Now I must say JD hit one out of the park with the bases loaded.

More later, work now.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
merciful

Post by merciful »

I haven't managed to acquire a Swick or SPOT yet (I'm trying) but I like my Ronin because it attaches discreetly and elegantly to the black strap on my messenger bag, where it's always ready should I need it. Of course, I'd also read the Doc's opinions on it, and when I heard they were getting rare, I jumped.
Those who give up their freedom for safety will soon find that they have neither.[SIZE="-1"][/size]
Harry White

Post by Harry White »

Good thread. I have a Micarta SPOT SE in VG-10 and really like it. I originally had the AUS-6 PE SPOT, but the rivet kept falling out, so I sent it to Spyderco and they offered to exchange it with the VG-10 SE model, as that is all they had left in stock. Needless to say, I jumped at the offer!

Aren't there 6 variations of the SPOT?

1. Micarta, VG-10, PE
2. Micarta, VG-10, SE
3. Plain, AUS-6, PE
4. Plain, AUS-6, SE
5. Black, AUS-6, PE
6. Black, AUS-6, SE
Users: SS Police PE, Delica 4 PE, Kopa Cocobolo, Blue Dodo SE, Yellow Pacific Salt PE, Micarta SPOT SE, Gray Calypso Jr, Temperance SE, Burgandy Jess Horn w/ZDP, UK Penknife, BB Delica 3 PE, Captain, CF Military w/BG-42, Lava, Caly3 SE, Para-Military SE, Manix CE, BB Para-Military SE, Delica 4 Wave, Ocelot CE, SpyderFly, Navigator II SE, Vagabond, D'Allara Drop Point CE, Black Assist I, Bug Set (and also: Sharpmaker, SS byrd Finch PE, Profile Set, byrd Firebyrd, Large Spyderpac, byrd Wings)
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

zenheretic wrote:Now I must say JD hit one out of the park with the bases loaded.

More later, work now.
I agree with Zen. On all accounts. JD is right, and more to come later. ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
ducktaper

Post by ducktaper »

As previously mentioned, I am a SPOT fan when involved in certain activities. For instance, when riding particular vehicles, such as a motorcycle, an ATV, or a canoe, I don't want anything in my pockets, but I do want a cutter, so that little SPOT on the breakable chain gives unobtrusive reassurance that slicing is still a viable verb.
JD Spydo

The Ronin: Ahead of it's time > Practical for much

Post by JD Spydo »

Harry White wrote:Good thread. I have a Micarta SPOT SE in VG-10 and really like it. I originally had the AUS-6 PE SPOT, but the rivet kept falling out, so I sent it to Spyderco and they offered to exchange it with the VG-10 SE model, as that is all they had left in stock. Needless to say, I jumped at the offer!

Aren't there 6 variations of the SPOT?

1. Micarta, VG-10, PE
2. Micarta, VG-10, SE
3. Plain, AUS-6, PE
4. Plain, AUS-6, SE
5. Black, AUS-6, PE
6. Black, AUS-6, SE
Yeah I forgot all about the black bladed ones. To be honest the Micarta version was thee ONE I really gravitated to. I also loved the neck sheath that it came with.

The RONIN as "Meriful" pointed out is truly in a league of it's own. I wouldn't even try to simplify it's description by saying it is a fixed blade version of the Yojimbo. I think it truly goes beyond that. It may indeed be the best Conceal & Carry knife that Spyderco has come up with yet.

The RONIN is also one of the best constructed fixed blades Spyderco has done up till now. There are so many configurations in which you can carry it. Unfortunately it is among the Spyders that had to be discontinued before it could or would be ultimately appreciated.

There is just a new frontier with the small Spyderco fixed blades. I truly hope there are more in the pipeline.
haxxor

Post by haxxor »

I love the spot. I edc it, and its actually my first :spyder:
Rex G

Post by Rex G »

I would like to see another run of Ronins produced! I would be willing to pre-order two or three of them, and pre-pay, if that's what it would take. Though I like the small, original handle, I know one criticism some had was the small handle, so perhaps a slightly larger handle would help sell another run of them, and would help keep the first version more collectible, for those who worry about that.
Civilians, Dodo, Guntings, Mili, P'kal, Rescues, Ronins, Temperance, others...

Have Colt, will travel.
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

Rex G wrote:I would like to see another run of Ronins produced! I would be willing to pre-order two or three of them, and pre-pay, if that's what it would take. Though I like the small, original handle, I know one criticism some had was the small handle, so perhaps a slightly larger handle would help sell another run of them, and would help keep the first version more collectible, for those who worry about that.

A run of Ronins--YES! :D I prefer the original handle--change the color if you need to for a sprint run, but leave the shape alone. That handle is excellent, and my hands are on the large side. I'll buy one, or two, or a half dozen--nah--probably 10, I have to give some as gifts :cool:
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
JD Spydo

RONIN!!! Yes SIR!!! a few modifications please too

Post by JD Spydo »

Rex G wrote:I would like to see another run of Ronins produced! I would be willing to pre-order two or three of them, and pre-pay, if that's what it would take. Though I like the small, original handle, I know one criticism some had was the small handle, so perhaps a slightly larger handle would help sell another run of them, and would help keep the first version more collectible, for those who worry about that.
Rex all I can say is "RIGHT ON!!!" >> I 100% agree with you on that one ;) The RONIN just like the FB Temperance just had to be discontinued to be appreciated for some very strange reason. But it's certainly not the only Spyder with that distinction. I am sure glad you guys pulled this thread out of the ditch because there were so many FIXED BLADE Spyders that didn't even get any mention the first 2 days we had it going.

I would love to see the KUMO with a totally different handle. I keep thinking about buying one and putting my own personal handle on one. That knife was a great design but that handle just really turned me off in the worst way. If the Kumo had a handle like the fixed Blade LUM model did they probably couldn't keep them on the shelves. That's what won me over to the RONIN was the really nice production handle it had. I have the Yojimbo but it is not complete without a Ronin to go with it. Michael Janich sure hit a home run with that one. :cool:
Capt. Carl

Post by Capt. Carl »

I am really impressed by the look and design of the perrin street beat. Plus, micarta is my absolute favorite handle material. It will be mine one day!
KaliGman

Post by KaliGman »

JD Spydo wrote: I would love to see the KUMO with a totally different handle. I keep thinking about buying one and putting my own personal handle on one. That knife was a great design but that handle just really turned me off in the worst way.
The Kumo is my least favorite of all Spyderco designs, precisely because of the handle. Without the resin covering, the thing would feel like a katana (what's not to like about same (ray skin) overwrapped with cord? :cool: ). By putting the plasticy-feeling finish on it, the thing was ruined. It's like paying for a nice custom walnut stock, with hand checkering and high figure in the wood, for your beautiful custom rifle, and then throwing a cheap and gaudy polyurethane finish on it. YECH! :eek:
"There is no weapon more deadly than the will." Bruce Lee

"The most pervasive and least condemned form of dishonesty is not doing the best you can." Colonel Jeff Cooper
Slick

Post by Slick »

Don't have a Spot or Ronin. Have a Swick bought on a whim. Awesone user. Useability rules. Too bad I can't use a FB at work. Where I work NKF is the rule with two cops with metal detectors and security at the doors.

I personally love the finish. No flash or glam. Not for every Spydrco but perfect here.

Does anyone know (or will tell) the heritage of the Swick?

My personal favorite knife (Lil'Temp) is an Eric design. It would please me if the Swick had his input.
Not really all that slick ;)
JD Spydo

SWICK: a vast improvement over the SPOT

Post by JD Spydo »

Slick wrote:Don't have a Spot or Ronin. Have a Swick bought on a whim. Awesone user. Useability rules. Too bad I can't use a FB at work. Where I work NKF is the rule with two cops with metal detectors and security at the doors.

I personally love the finish. No flash or glam. Not for every Spydrco but perfect here.

My personal favorite knife (Lil'Temp) is an Eric design. It would please me if the Swick had his input.
Yeah I like the little SWICK myself. As far as I know it is the only fixed blade Spyder up till now with a "Stonewashed" finish on it. I sold mine needing $$ on short notice and I deeply regret it. I will eventually get myself a couple more SWICKs because I agree with you that it is just about the right size for a fixed blade user.

However my Dodo will do a lot of the tasks that a SWICK will do. If a person wants one for personal use or a collector piece I suggest you act fast. In a year they will be virtually impossible to get I predict.

I think the SWICK is an In House design if I remember correctly. It also has the capacity to be a nice neck knife. I would actually prefer it over the SPOT. The SPOT a great knife for it's size is just a bit too small for my personal usage. It is possible they might make a few more SWICK models. But I wouldn't bet any serious money on it either. Hard to predict or guess the moves of the Great Spyder Factory.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Slick wrote:Don't have a Spot or Ronin. Have a Swick bought on a whim. Awesone user. Useability rules. Too bad I can't use a FB at work. Where I work NKF is the rule with two cops with metal detectors and security at the doors.

hey Slick here's some Swick info....check post # 3 by RLR:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.p ... ight=swick

btw the Lil'Temp is Sal's design... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Agent Starling

Post by Agent Starling »

KaliGman wrote:A run of Ronins--YES! :D
I will *definitely* buy one if this happens!!! :D :cool:

Starling
"Too many was too many, but way too many was just right."