Favorite Collaborators for Spyder designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Favorite Collaborators for Spyder designs

Post by JD Spydo »

Spyderco is truly head and shoulders above any other company I'm aware of in that they are true geniuses when it comes to spotting super knife designing talent. I used to have a favorite Spyderco knife designer/collaborator which was Bob Lum. Now brother LuM is still in my top five but there are so many great collaborative designs of Spyders that it is getting extremely difficult for me to narrow it down to just one.

Some of my very favorite designers of Spyderco blades are as follows:

Massad Ayoob
Bob LUM
Tim Zowada
JD Smith
Michael Janich

My favorite knife designer that never did a collaboration for Spyderco> There's only one at this time>>> Phil Boguszewski

Which are yours and why? and who would you like to see do the next one that hasn't previously designed a Spyder before?
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dedguy

Post by dedguy »

I honestly like all the collab models. They always bring something new and interesting to the table and have a flare outside the pleasingly odd utilitarian Sal and Eric designs.
"Always keep an edge on your knife son, because a good sharp edge is a man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life."
dedguy.net
Andre V

Post by Andre V »

My Favourites are my Bob Terzoula starmate and my Ed Schemp persians.

I would really like to see a Jens Anso collab.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
SpaceInvader

Post by SpaceInvader »

Although he apparently has a deal with CRKT, I'd like to see a Jim Hammond collaboration. How about a mini Flesheater? :)
J Smith

Post by J Smith »

My top 2 are Terzoula and Lum
I still would love the see one with Tom Krein.
[CENTER]0 0[/CENTER]
[CENTER]<[/CENTER]
[CENTER]\____/[/CENTER]
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Ed Schempp and Massad Ayoob.
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

arnon

Post by arnon »

captain :)
Arnon
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Current favorite - Ed Schempp.

Old favorite - Jot Singh Khalsa.
"A Delica is still a better weapon than a keyboard and a sour attitude..." Michael Janich
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

I'm weak for Ed Schempp's designs. The Persians are beautiful! Looking forward to the new fixed blade collaboration with Ed. :cool:

The only one I can't get warmed up to is the Kris.... :o

Looking forward to what the future will bring from :spyder:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Ed Shemmp's designs, especially the C83 Persian, are at the very top of my list. For me, it combines the practical and the esthetic better than any other knife.

My buddy Chad Los Bano's Lava is another very practical design with an esthetically pleasing shape. The recent talk of damascus has me visualizing one done with an Odin's Eye Damasteel blade, nicely polished front bolsters, and Curly Koa, or perhaps stabilized lava, scales. Odin's Eye is both extremely attractive and very "fluid looking", and either of those scale materials would not only be visually appealing but emphasize the Lava's Hawaiian origins as well.

"Old school" favorite would be the Jess Horn collaborations, with the C27 far and away the best as it appeals to someone who spent nearly half a century carrying pocket knives as tools. Anyone who finds it frightening has earned the rank of "Sheeple", as to call them an "NKP" is to insult the intelligence of the vast majority of folks who just aren't "into" knives.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Jurphaas

Post by Jurphaas »

Well, currently Spyderco is working on several new collaboration models from Ed Shempp and the T-mag from Ralh Turnbull. On trade and consumer shows, Spyderco is showing conceptmodels from makers like: Jens Anso, Kevin Wilkins and Howard Viele!

Man, there is sooo much in the pipeline and on the back burner....... Let Spyderco surprize you!
Jurphaas :)
Clipits Work!
* WTC # 0107 *
Th232

Post by Th232 »

Jurphaas wrote:Well, currently Spyderco is working on several new collaboration models from Ed Shempp and the T-mag from Ralh Turnbull. On trade and consumer shows, Spyderco is showing conceptmodels from makers like: Jens Anso, Kevin Wilkins and Howard Viele!

Man, there is sooo much in the pipeline and on the back burner....... Let Spyderco surprize you!
Jurphaas :)
Ooh, you lucky people in England and the Netherlands!

Surprises are good, but the waiting... <Will starts twitching>
Will

"No one wants to look the fool. Everyone does the best they can. If they knew better, they'd do better" - old woman on the railway tracks to Sal.

Post by 224477 »

Chad Los Banos !!! :D

we want more from CLB Designs!!!
"Having a dull knife is like having a stupid friend."
jaislandboy

All of the Above....

Post by jaislandboy »

Every custom collab design is welcomed....more flavor in one's knife diet keeps me from becoming a dull boy! :p
I love them all from Schempp to Diaconescu to Los Banos......Gimme! :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
JspyEDC

can't wait for a new collaboration...

Post by JspyEDC »

A collaboration with Jens Anso is the one I'm waiting for. Hope it happens.
Spyderco Collector #162
swingshot

Post by swingshot »

Yojimbo is my favorite.

Thinking over a Chinook too.

Would love to see something from David Winch though *hint hint* :D
JD Spydo

comparing notes and wishful thinking

Post by JD Spydo »

Very interesting responses so far :cool: I am somewhat surprised that no one agrees with me in regards to Phil Boguszewski though :confused: .

Also please don't misunderstand me because I am in no way trying to slight the great IN HOUSE designers we have i.e. Chad Los Banos and Mr. Sal Glesser. They have definitely made their mark. With all things taken in to account Sal Glesser's designs are truly among my very favorite work knives i.e. The FB Temperance, The big Dyad, The Catcherman and not the mention the big & Junior Calypso models ;)

Another thing I find curious is that there is not as much fanfare about the tactical Spyders as much as there was the last time this topic came up sometime around last summer. Chad's LAVA I am sure is just the tip of the iceberg of what I am sure he has coming our way.

It's been a while since we've seen a Terzoula model. It also amazes me that as much of a masterpiece as the JD Smith was that we don't see any more designs coming from him. Your thoughts please :)
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Ed Schemp's Persian
Eduard Bradichansky Sabaria, I never handle this knife, but I love it's look. May be one day i will be rich enough to get it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
spydutch

Post by spydutch »

Ed Shempp hands down :cool:

I only hope Ed and Sal will make a fully serrated knife one day. Now that would be something ;)

BTW I would settle for a Mini Persian/SE as well :)
Arend(old school Spydie lover)

MEMBER OF THE INTERNATIONAL ORDER OF THE SPYDEREDGE!!!

VERY PROUD OWNER OF A CALY III/SE #043 :D

....AND A FG(PARA) MILITARY/SE IN CPMD2(thanx Sal):cool:

...I would love to have one in full SpyderEdge:p
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Nothing like the Terzuolas. REALLY want a Spyderco ATCF, not a microtech one