Chinese folder...

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Dannyvi

Chinese folder...

Post by Dannyvi »

design. Is that a patented design exclusive to Mr. Lum? I am looking to find a knifemaker that can make me a small chinese folder in a framelock(no, I can't afford Bob Lum).
Bruceter

Post by Bruceter »

I think that the Chinese folder was Bob Lum's version of a traditional design.
Not 100% sure of that though.

Hope this helps some,

Bruceter
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

Pretty sure it was just Mr. Lum's version of the traditional Chinese Folder. CAS Iberia makes or made something similar. Don't know the quality, but it looked nice.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

Dannyvi wrote:design. Is that a patented design exclusive to Mr. Lum? I am looking to find a knifemaker that can make me a small chinese folder in a framelock(no, I can't afford Bob Lum).
Contracting a knifemaker to copy an existing knife for personal use is different than a knife maker or production company copying a design for resale. I would assume you want a knifemaker to make it because the desired knife would have materials or features not available through the production model, otherwise why bother with increased expense of hiring a knifemaker? Some's ethics may vary on the issue, but that is how I see it.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Fairlane

Post by Fairlane »

The Spyderco Lum Chinese folder is just as any other chinese folder, a take on a traditional chinese knife design.

Here's a Chen- version: http://www.jaysknives.com/customknives_4.htm

So as long as it's not an exact copy, but rather another take on the design, i see no problem.
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Thanks for the tipd, guys! I do have the Paul Chen version and the one sold by Cas Iberia. Both are really nice but I want something smaller with a 2 1/2 inch blade and a framelock.
CKE

Post by CKE »

It is just a style....you should be able to find a maker to help you out.

Craig
Keep Fighting the Good Fight!