SpydeRench (pics inside)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
gofiend

SpydeRench (pics inside)

Post by gofiend »

i received my spyderench this afternoon and the moment i held it in my hands i knew why it was discontinued: it is not strong enough to be of much help and the finish is not satisfactory, the blade teeth are disappointing in particular!

i don't know why it was manufactured in Taiwan and sold in UK. are there any particular reasons?

however, the sypderench is still lovely, and when my camera fails to bring out its defects, it looks more adorable than it really is :)

Andre V

Post by Andre V »

I got one years ago and admit that i have always ended up carrying my LM or gerber.

Its nice to have 1 though. Nice catch.
"So many knives, so little pockets"
Shanged

Post by Shanged »

I kind of like the looks of that knife by itself, cool shape.
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

Other multitools have better pliers, though none that I know of have 2 position slip jaws.

Other multitools have knive blades but none as good as the full size combo edge in AUS 8 that the new Spyderench has. And very few have locking, one hand opening and closing blades

Other multitools have a stronger crescent wrench, though few in such a compact package.

All Multitools have screwdrivers, but few have replaceable bits.

Some multitools have a diamond file, but I don't think any other has a diamond file with flat, convex and concave filing surfaces.

Taken individually, most features of the Spyderench are bested elsewhere, but taken as a complete package, this freshened old design is still worth the look.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Oh Boy! I am waiting for mine! Hope it is not too disappointing! :eek: :(
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

nice pics Gofiend....I've never seen one in person......but I admire the overall design of the Spyderwrench.....my multitool is a Leatherman Wave... ;)
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Hope Spydy knuts join in and say something about the spydirench. I am sure they know what caused its demise(if it did happen). Design problem failures??
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

In general there are two reasons why a knife is discontinued, either because of a lack of sales or because of production problems (lack of consistent materials supply for example). I believe 'production problems'; failing to meet demand consistently, was the reason for the Spyderench' demise.

I've always feared that I'd be losing parts with the spyderench. How secure is everything held together? Does everything click into place properly?

Wouter
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Anybody in here ever owned one and tell us about it??
SeanH

Post by SeanH »

Mr Blonde wrote:<snip>

I've always feared that I'd be losing parts with the spyderench. How secure is everything held together? Does everything click into place properly?

Wouter
The head that holds the working bit retains the bit with a magnet plced in the side of the head. See gofiend's 5th pic.

The unused bits are the only other small parts that could get lost and they are held securely by a friction insert and locked in place by the file. Kind of hard to see in the pics but the file is the rod running behind the stored bits in pics 1 and 3.
>>The Spyderco Forum Cookbook ... and its thread<<

Think about what you believe, but don't believe everything you think.

"We feel that to "charge as much as the market will bear" is "to bite the hand that feeds you"."
Sal Glesser
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I got a used original off EBay a few months ago, and have been carrying it pretty regularly since then. The only time you are likely to lose parts is when you are changing bits, or using the extended bit in the holder. I found that the extra bits in mine are loose enough to fall out when the tool is rotated, unless the extended bit/file is holding them in. In practice, that generally means a shirt pocket full of bits if I need the long screwdriver :rolleyes:
The #1 Phillips on the extended bit is also too rounded to fit screws properly, and I have mentioned in another thread that I found the pliers to leave much to be desired.

Remember, I did buy mine used, from someone I have never seen, with no history on the tool, so I don't know if mine is typical. :D
I don't believe in safe queens, only in pre-need replacements.
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

my primary concern is the lock.

when i hold the whole piece in hand and open the blade using my thumb, like openning a common spydie, the diamond coated file, which is actually the lock of the plier, gets in the way, i.e., it is positioned right in where my other three fingers have to press hard to give enough support to my thumb to open the blade, then "click", it unlocks, and the "handle", namely the other pieces such as the plier and wrench, start to fall apart :confused:

if i have to choose one multitool, i would prefer a leatherman.
jaislandboy

Post by jaislandboy »

Gofiend...I especially like this photo! :cool:
brian
"All paths lead back to the Spyderhole..."
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

jaislandboy wrote:Image

Gofiend...I especially like this photo! :cool:

Thanks boy.

The white stones look yummy, right? :D
silverback

Post by silverback »

Nice photos, and yet another set of Go stones!
I have a set just like that. For the uninitiated: they are unique chinese stones, convex on one side (other stones are lens shaped) and made from dark and light green glass with matte finish.

You make me want to take pictures of knives with my Go sets! :D
Few people think more than two or three times a year; I have made an international reputation for myself by thinking once or twice a week. -George Bernard Shaw

Go is a pursuit of such value that one can devote a lifetime to it and have nothing to regret. Why not, then, challenge the limit of your powers. -Toshiro Kageyama 7-Dan
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

SeanH wrote:Other multitools have better pliers, though none that I know of have 2 position slip jaws.

Other multitools have knive blades but none as good as the full size combo edge in AUS 8 that the new Spyderench has. And very few have locking, one hand opening and closing blades

Other multitools have a stronger crescent wrench, though few in such a compact package.

All Multitools have screwdrivers, but few have replaceable bits.

Some multitools have a diamond file, but I don't think any other has a diamond file with flat, convex and concave filing surfaces.

Taken individually, most features of the Spyderench are bested elsewhere, but taken as a complete package, this freshened old design is still worth the look.

yes yes, if spyderco improves it to make it more solid and strong, i will certainly buy an extra one!
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

[quote="jaislandboy"]nice pics Gofiend....I've never seen one in person......but I admire the overall design of the Spyderwrench.....my multitool is a Leatherman Wave... ]

mine is Charge :)
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

Nice photos, and yet another set of Go stones!
I have a set just like that. For the uninitiated: they are unique chinese stones, convex on one side (other stones are lens shaped) and made from dark and light green glass with matte finish.

-- the dark and light green glass stones look more beautiful when light passes through.

You make me want to take pictures of knives with my Go sets! :D

-- try it. lets see if the blades and stones can go well with each other.
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

ha ha ha...
after one night's practice, i am very skillful with this cute little thing despite occasional slip and clumsiness. i believe i will be more proficient after a few more practice, wait and see!
gofiend

Post by gofiend »

I take back my words about the wrench being not strong enough to be much help. After more practice this morning, I found it quite solid and versatile and have dicided to EDC it instead of the Leatherman :)

Anyhow, the other two defects are still three, i.e. the diamond coated file serving as a lock, and the ugly serration.

I think I will find a way to overcome the file-related lock problem, but the serration cannot be changed through practice. To be frank, what I love most about Spyder knives are the Hole and the Serration. The unshapely teeth of the blade on my wrench disappoint me to a great extent :(