Ebay has gone nuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

re: who still has them

Post by The Mastiff »

Last I checked the knife center of the internet has them. Joe
will_77

Post by will_77 »

islandtactical.com shows 8 in stock, for MSRP +$40, though :mad: knifecenter has a note up that they've sold through their stock for the time being.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Entire situation is quite upsetting for me. I called to NGK at the end of the last week and was told, that they received only for collectors. I placed pre-order with them at the beginning of January and a many people in front of me. I want this knife, but I will not pay MSRP. If I will get it for $90 or less,it is fine, otherwise… there are many different knives to enjoy.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Dannyvi

Post by Dannyvi »

Think the dealers are also holding on for more money?
eljay

Post by eljay »

Dannyvi wrote:Think the dealers are also holding on for more money?
The smart dealers are looking longer term. Customer satisfaction and all that.

I mean, if I were a knife dealer, and I had to compete with NGK, I'd be looking for any opportunity to a) acquire a first time customer and b) impress the heck out of them.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

eljay wrote:I mean, if I were a knife dealer, and I had to compete with NGK, I'd be looking for any opportunity to a) acquire a first time customer and b) impress the heck out of them.
That's a tough battle to fight. They might be able to provide similar service, but it would be near impossible to compete on pricing until a significant clientele was formed. Can't sell knives at 40% off MSRP unless you sell a LOT of them.

NGK also sells more than just knives, and that's what keeps them in business.
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
a deadly fart

Post by a deadly fart »

Tell me it ain't so Slick cuz I have one ordered from emergency options as well. Just sent an email to check on the status of the order... grrrr.. cross finger
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

I hope you guys get your preorders. I certainly will never count on an Emergency Options pre order ever again, but your results may differ.
Follow the mushin, but pay it no heed.
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Wow!!! Have you checked out the price now? And still four days to go! I can't believe it...

I've just had confirmation that my preorder is still going to be filled :p I'm a happy man.
PSU

Post by PSU »

It is truly beyond my comprehension that a ZDP Delica is already selling for over $200 on Ebay. First, there appear to be some retailers that are currently selling them for around the MSRP value. Second, even if these retailers do not have them, there are more ZDP Caly's that are to be shipped out to retailers in a week or two. Third, if those sell out, I am sure that a bunch will show up on Ebay after this feverish Delica ZDP search is over.

For now, I will be happy with my VG-10 Delica 4. VG-10 is more than sufficient for my usual cutting tasks. If I come across a reasonably priced ZDP Delica I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up but there is no way I would pay more than MSRP. Heck, I could buy several Delicas for the current Delica ZDP Ebay price: PE, CE, SE, trainer, foliage green, & I would still have $$ left over :D

As the great philosopher Axl Rose once said All we need is just a little patience, mm yeah, just a little patience
IPSC

Post by IPSC »

I think I emailed NGK in January and that was to late to get any of the ZDPs. It seems like the Delica ZDP was delayed for about a year which is adding to the craziness.

I wonder what the odds are of scoring a ZDP Jess Horn or Lum when they come out?

At least I did get a collector delica and endura waves though :)
Rogcohen

Post by Rogcohen »

Ahh, endura wave... I love that knife! Anyone know where we can preorder the lums?
eljay

Post by eljay »

The supply of these things appears to be fairly bizarre. I think I was underestimating how dealers are trying to get them from multiple distributors and maybe they're getting more smaller batches rather than two large ones.

Last night, almost on a whim I put in an order with knifecenter who had sold out of their first batch and said they were hoping to get more in a week.

This morning I got a note saying thanks for the order but "Sorry we do not have an exact delivery date. It could take several weeks. Your order will ship complete if the item is still available."

THREE HOURS later I got a note saying it would ship TODAY. I actually wrote back asking were they sure, and they said yes.

I'm not convinced I'll believe it even when I get a tracking number - not until I get the package - but it seems like it might be a nice place to order.

Oh, at the same time I put in an order at NGK (wouldn't mind getting more than one - I have a friend who would like one) and was told I'm about #120 on the list. Not sure if that's people or knives. If I get one I'm going to be very impressed that they managed to score 10% of the supply!