Now's the time: For a New Hawkbill!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kjunx

Post by kjunx »

Jester hawk would be cool. I am prefering the small blades that get lost in my pocket more and more.. it's like a surprise when you forget about it ;)
JD Spydo

Karambit & Misc

Post by JD Spydo »

steeldust wrote:OK JD! It's back to work. Lets assume the new Superhawk is a go. The larger size is covered. Next down in size is the Tasman Salt & Harpy, covered. The 2" to 2-1/2" Hawkbill size is missing in the small folder. (the Karambit is kind of specialized imo, and it's large) I would love a larger Dodohawk, but the Dodo just got discontinued. :( JD, what handle would fit the Karambit blade best? JD, what is the best way to get a consensus on the next model ? :p
Well Steeldust I would like to see the Spyderco Karambit with G-10 handles like the Karambit that BLADE-Tech made for Steve Tarani. The whole idea I was trying to get across with a larger more modified Dodo was to not only resurrect the Dodo but to make it a viable tool for the guys in the fishing industry.

I think you could still see new Hawkbills in comparable sizes to some of the older more established models with better blade steels and some modifications. I know the Superhawk is going to be a HOME RUN>> no doubt about that. But I am still not giving up on a G-10 Spyderhawk for hard use and specialized jobs. But then again maybe the Superhawk will have those bases covered. But your heart is definitely in the right place>> so is your's Scott & Doctor LEcTER :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
dialex

Post by dialex »

[quote="kjunx"]Jester hawk would be cool. I am prefering the small blades that get lost in my pocket more and more.. it's like a surprise when you forget about it ]
They could also put a small LED light there, like at this one:
Attachments
LED_Knife_01.jpeg
LED_Knife_01.jpeg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 1916 times
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
JD Spydo

Incorporated Flashlight

Post by JD Spydo »

dialex wrote:They could also put a small LED light there, like at this one:
That is a super idea DIALEX!!! This is where a SUREFIRE/Spyderco collaboration might be feasable.

There is a company that makes maritime/fishing knives with marlinspikes that also have lights in them. The name of the company is Myerchin. But this could be even better. A Super Innovation with Spyder Quality :cool:
noxtempus

Post by noxtempus »

sorry if this has already been suggested but what about a hawkbill butterfly at first it might sound crazy but if u look at the szabofly(sp) its not that far off if it was the backside that was sharpened instead not sure what anyone else thinks but i thought it would be a cool looking knife
ChuteTheMall

Post by ChuteTheMall »

I just wanted to reply during the first year of this thread.

OK, I'll buy a YELLOW SE Tasman. :D :spyder:
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

noxtempus wrote:sorry if this has already been suggested but what about a hawkbill butterfly at first it might sound crazy but if u look at the szabofly(sp) its not that far off if it was the backside that was sharpened instead not sure what anyone else thinks but i thought it would be a cool looking knife
I have one custom ordered. In a month or so I'll post pics of it.

I'm all for it. :D

Welcome to the Forum by the way... ;)
:spyder: Scott :spyder:

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give."
-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

Various facets

Post by JD Spydo »

We have explored so many facets of the Hawkbill on this thread. I can honestly say that I had never even given thought to the idea of a HAWKBILL bali :cool: . I personally am not a great fan of the butterfly knife. That is unless I buy stock in a band aid company :D I have one that I do play with from time to time and I had never given thought to the idea of a HAWKBILL Balisong.

With the blade geometry being what it is I just wonder if the blade design would be a factor in balance which is an important part of any Butterfly knife design. But like my signature says "WHATEVER WORKS". This thread has really gotten into some very interesting, unexplored areas>>Keep them coming :)
sierra

Just got my first Civilian - first thread reply.

Post by sierra »

My Engineering co-workers response when he opened it was a four letter explicative that starts with a 's'. I have the LadyHawk, and a Merlin, but this is a very intimidating blade. For my collection, I want to find a PE. Just ordered a Black PE Tasman 10 minutes ago.

I see where Mr. Keating has made a movie about utilizing this blade in condition red; has anyone seen it. I assume it would consist of outside fang bites to evade or inside trapping to survive if no exit exists. If conditioned correctly, exists should be made to exist 99.99999% of the time though.

Haven't read all the pages of this thread, although I will. I am offloading my knives from other manufacturers now - I like these Hawkbills.

Thanks for the community!

Sierra - an old white-hat.
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

[quote="sierra"]My Engineering co-workers response when he opened it was a four letter explicative that starts with a 's'. I have the LadyHawk, and a Merlin, but this is a very intimidating blade. For my collection, I want to find a PE. Just ordered a Black PE Tasman 10 minutes ago.

I see where Mr. Keating has made a movie about utilizing this blade in condition red]

Excellent, another fan of Hawkbills. Welcome to the forum :cool:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

Deja Vu>> Hawkbill style

Post by JD Spydo »

[quote="sierra"]My Engineering co-workers response when he opened it was a four letter explicative that starts with a 's'. I have the LadyHawk, and a Merlin, but this is a very intimidating blade. For my collection, I want to find a PE. Just ordered a Black PE Tasman 10 minutes ago.

I see where Mr. Keating has made a movie about utilizing this blade in condition red]

My friend your testimony as to how Hawkbills have changed your whole attitude and perception of cutlery tools is wonderfully reminiscent of when I sold Michael Cook his first Spyderhawk. He even said he liked it better than his own Mother :eek: . But that's what happens when you partake in the Hawkbill Kingdom. As you are telling us in your own words>>> The Hawkbill will sell itself if given a chance. You SIR are a man who wants a new Hawkbill and likely even a new series of them. You're at the right place. Because that's all this thread has ever been about. It's what the people in Spyderville want :cool: :spyder:
sierra

Ordered a Matriarch - got my Civilian yesterday - wearing my Merlin today..

Post by sierra »

I called Spyderco the other day and spoke to a Doug Chapman (very helpful) and asked if they had any Matriarchs - silly me. But he e-mailed me a list of possible contacts from across the country.

I spoke to a absolutely lovely lady Sarah at 'Ultimate Accessories'. She looked all over for me, checking everywhere; called me back an hour later and had one.

I paid $110. If I paid too much - oh well - I will have it next week and love it until I die; and Sarah was just too cute to talk to.

Spyderville has a nice ring to it. I think I would very much like the people there!!
steeldust

PE Spyderhawk

Post by steeldust »

A PE blue handled FRN bladeforum Spyderhawk just sold for $211 on ebay! Don't you think it's time for a sprint run of PE Spyderhawks in ZDP 189? :D OK Sal, how about VG-10 and G-10 scales? :p I think it will sell! Ok Sal, how about H-1 and G-10( yellow of course ) More Hawkbills Please! :D
sierra

So - lets see who 'walks the Hawk'; what ya got?

Post by sierra »

I haven't taken a photo yet, but here are the Hawks I have:
Merlin, :p
SpyderHawk, :D
Civilian, :eek:
Matriarch :eek: and Blk Tasman SE :) in the mail.

JD Spydo

Now that's living right

Post by JD Spydo »

sierra wrote:I haven't taken a photo yet, but here are the Hawks I have:
Merlin, :p
SpyderHawk, :D
Civilian, :eek:
Matriarch :eek: and Blk Tasman SE :) in the mail.

Sierra you are definitely on the right track :cool: . I would be willing to be that the Spyderhawk is without a doubt your favorite. If not that one then I bet you reach for your Matriarch in a pinch ;) That Sir is an excellent line up. Your heart is absolutely in the right place. Now I think it goes without saying that this man wants a New Hawkbill and I am certainly he would own the better part of a series of them.

Anyone heard any platter chatter about the SuperHawk recently. It has almost been eerily quiet. Calm before the storm maybe? :rolleyes:
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

JD Spydo wrote:...
Anyone heard any platter chatter about the SuperHawk recently. It has almost been eerily quiet. Calm before the storm maybe? :rolleyes:
I certainly could appear to be the case JD. Patience my friend. Sal and crew have been gracious this past year with two different, new hawkbills (six if you count all the variants, which I do). On a project like a new Spyderhawk, I don’t think we want to rush them. Besides, once the new Spyderhawk comes out, I believe there could well be a slight decrease in the resale value of the original. Granted, it will still be collectable, but it could also loose a share of it’s “user” market.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

ghostrider wrote:On a project like a new Spyderhawk, I don’t think we want to rush them.
I agree.

Better in my opinion to let the artist work his magic, and create a masterpiece, than rush him, and end up with something that could have been better.

Let Sal do his thing, no need to rush him. :cool:

-Sir Winston Churchill-
JD Spydo

Misunderstood

Post by JD Spydo »

smcfalls13 wrote:I agree.

Better in my opinion to let the artist work his magic, and create a masterpiece, than rush him, and end up with something that could have been better.

Let Sal do his thing, no need to rush him. :cool:
NO guys I wasn't even going down that road at all. Definitely you don't want to rush any worthwhile project. That is part of what quality is all about. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will the Superhawk be. You totally misunderstood me. I was just wanting to know if anyone had heard any updates on it. I don't care if it takes another year. I have plenty of Hawkbills to fill my void for the time being.

Actually you guys are probably going to laugh when I tell you which Hawkbill I have been using in the last 2 weeks. I have been taking my user plain edged Merlin with me to work and I find it to be incredibly handy. And with it being previously used I am not easy on it either :eek: .

No guys/gals I am not wanting this new Super Hawkbill cooked in a microwave oven. I want this one slow baked but I was just putting my feelers out there to see if anyone had heard or read anything like maybe in one of the other Forums or something. Sorry if I didn't communicate well. OK Back to the business of the curved blades :cool:
ghostrider

Post by ghostrider »

I think it is somewhat strange how this one is definitely a "sleeper". There really hasn't been much in the way of hints or indication of what/when to expect. Other than CF.
First they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not stand up, because I was not a Trade Unionist.
[INDENT]
[INDENT][INDENT]Attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller [/INDENT] [/INDENT][/INDENT]
Thread for tying tips:
http://spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18317

Hawkbills- Sink in the tip, and let it rip!!! :D - Axlis
smcfalls13

Post by smcfalls13 »

Well did we really expect a lot of details this early in the game? We only just found out the project was going to happen a few months ago. The design takes time, and I expect we won't get any details for quite a while.

But when we do...that's when the all the buzz will start. ;)

-Sir Winston Churchill-