Takefu's "SPG STRIX"

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
weeping minora

Takefu's "SPG STRIX"

Post by weeping minora »

Whilst we're fresh from Reveal 15's introduction of Takefu's VG XEOS, I've learned of another new addition to their line-up that they're calling SPG STRIX. STRIX stems from the words "STRONG MATRIX".

From the limited info that I've found, it was introduced sometime in the later months of 2023. There is no compositional disclosure from Takefu, same as is true of VG XEOS. It is marketed as a powdered stainless steel, able to achieve ~65rc, *whilst being easier to work with, and notably easier to sharpen and achieve "unsurpassed cutting sharpness" (*when compared to other stainless PM steels?). The goal was to create a stainless PM steel that behaves like a very high hardness carbon steel.. sounds a bit like a steel currently sweeping the market?

They're marketing an increase of attention to the microstructure of the steel via its composition, which as many of us have been informed of via the efforts and sharing from Shawn and Larrin, the microstructure is attributable to the heat treatment, and not merely based on knowing the composition alone. It sounds like they created the steel with a microstructure first mindset, which I find interesting and of which I believe is the next phase of steel 'evolution', at least as far as cutlery is concerned. I find it strange that Takefu are unwilling to publish composition, nonetheless.

Current cutlery climate being what it is, this leads to the question: is this perhaps the Japanese aimed equivalent, or competitor, to Magnacut, and, will we see a Mule Team in this steel, seeing as we're being treated to VG XEOS?

Perhaps a carrot you can throw our way, sal?

Link to Takefu's website regarding SPG STRIX: https://e-tokko.com/spgst.php?lang=en
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
barnaclesonaboat

Re: Takefu's "SPG STRIX"

Post by barnaclesonaboat »

weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:40 am
It sounds like they created the steel with a microstructure first mindset, which I find interesting and of which I believe is the next phase of steel 'evolution', at least as far as cutlery is concerned.
This is an interesting development, indeed! I appreciate your alerting us all to the steel. While it is a little weird the composition isn't public knowledge yet, I did like the way they went about selling the material on their website by including images of etched samples, HT graphs, etc. Sure, it's promotional material from the producer, but still, at face value the presentation makes a more compelling case than a lot of steel info sheets.

I hope this does make it into the Mule Team lineup. In addition to general interest, with an apparently similar set of engineering goals/targets to Magnacut it would likely be very informative for Spyderco and the knife community alike to have some mule team-style testing of a similar recipe produced by a totally different manufacturer with their own HT, etc. This kind of opportunity for testing and comparison of some steels that seem similar on paper feels right in line with the general goals of the Mule Team program. My 2cents.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

weeping minora wrote:
It sounds like they created the steel with a microstructure first mindset, which I find interesting and of which I believe is the next phase of steel 'evolution', at least as far as cutlery is concerned.

Very interesting, thanks for the alert. "Microstructure first." To quote Jessica Simpson: "I totally don't know what that means, but I want it."
Attachments
da10d382a0d20ae446669b5e2e4b3039-4028981990.jpg
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

barnaclesonaboat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:12 pm
weeping minora wrote:
This is an interesting development, indeed! I appreciate your alerting us all to the steel. While it is a little weird the composition isn't public knowledge yet, I did like the way they went about selling the material on their website by including images of etched samples, HT graphs, etc. Sure, it's promotional material from the producer, but still, at face value the presentation makes a more compelling case than a lot of steel info sheets.

I hope this does make it into the Mule Team lineup. In addition to general interest, with an apparently similar set of engineering goals/targets to Magnacut it would likely be very informative for Spyderco and the knife community alike to have some mule team-style testing of a similar recipe produced by a totally different manufacturer with their own HT, etc. This kind of opportunity for testing and comparison of some steels that seem similar on paper feels right in line with the general goals of the Mule Team program. My 2cents.
You have to be in the know metallurgically to be able to discern the chemical composition datasheets. I've tried over time to discern compositions, but it can be challenging to remember just what each elemental % can mean for different steels. They don't always seem to differentiate in a linear way from steel to steel, which can make it more challenging. I agree that the metallography showing the microstructure was nice to see, even though we don't quite know exactly what we're looking at in terms of carbide content.

Takefu certainly sells the steel well, but I'd think that without the composition being listed, it will ultimately dissuade some interest. I absolutely agree that this would be a perfect candidate for the Mule Team!
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:38 pm
weeping minora wrote:

Very interesting, thanks for the alert. "Microstructure first." To quote Jessica Simpson: "I totally don't know what that means, but I want it."
I have a feeling there's a bit of marketing at play here, or perhaps a language barrier discrepancy, but it's an interesting take on the marketing of this steel. Hopefully Miss Simpson can persuade Spyderco to get us a taste!
Traditional.Sharpening

Post by Traditional.Sharpening »

This steel sounds like a good mix of attributes, would love to try some given an opportunity.