Any Double Bladed Desires?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Any Double Bladed Desires?

Post by JD Spydo »

brj wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:13 am
A redo of this would be nice, I'd buy it again

That's got to be the Micro-Dyad? All of the Dyads were not only unique but well designed and very usable as well.

At this time it seems like a Salt Series Dyad or any other new double bladed model that Spyderco could come up with would be great to offer up in the main line up.

Over the years I've heard a few of the brethren complain about a "hump" on the Dyad models ( especially the bigger C-44 model). It never was a problem when I EDCed a C-44 Dyad. But these are minor issues that can be easily corrected I'm certain.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Switchback wrote:
Tue May 21, 2024 7:00 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun May 19, 2024 4:42 pm
I wonder if Spyderco ever considered making a linerless, dual-bladed slipjoint folder. Similar to a UKPK. That might be good for places where lock blade knives are restricted, and allows the carrier to have the equivalent of two knives (PE & SE) on them at all times. Maybe each blade could be 2.78" long or something. Might there be a market for a 2-bladed Spyderco slippie?

Jim
Your description comes pretty close to the long since discontinued Byrd Wings Slip-It. The closed blade serves as the "handle" for the opened blade. Solves the problem of the closed blade being a nuisance.

IMG_6799.JPG
IMG_6797.JPG
IMG_6796.JPG

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for sharing! I never saw that model, but you are right, that comes close to what I was thinking in terms of general layout. Looks kinda like a modernized Canoe pattern pocketknife.

I wonder if a linerless FRN Salt model similar (but not identical) to that general shape would be doable? Possibly made in Golden?

🙂

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Those Micro Dyads weren't around very long at all. And that surprised me because it looked to me to be thee quintessential gentleman's knife. Personally I liked the Micarta Dyad Jr just a tad bit better for a few reasons. But either one would be a great EDC folder where super strict blade length laws are in effect.

I can't understand why all the fanfare died down concerning a possible Salt Version Dyad which was talked about a lot just a few years back. I think that would boost sales of the Salt Series a great deal.

They should at least consider a Sprint Run for the Micarta Dyad Jr. or if they would want to opt for a Dyad Jr. with either a stag handle or a really nice G-10 handle. But Micarta would be a home run for that model IMO.
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I love the dyad plus marlinspike idea. And any salt dyad I would find quite useful.
PaloArt

Post by PaloArt »

+1 on Dyad, I wish at least FRN model would be in the standard offer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SchoonerBum wrote:
Tue May 28, 2024 9:10 pm
I love the dyad plus marlinspike idea. And any salt dyad I would find quite useful.

If this ever came to life, I'd love a variant with 1.) comboedge blade, 2.) saw and 3.) a good awl (instead of the Marlin spike) - would almost make for an outdoor-focussed Spyderco multitool... very useful in my opinion.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

I thought a double bladed model knife combining the blades from the Clipitool Standard (C208G)and Rescue (C209G) models,with their lower thumb ramps, would have reduced costs and been a useful addition to the Clipitool range.
Unfortunately the Recue was discontinued.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Image Always ! I have both C44 Dyads and a FRN C39 and would love to see a design change Salt version by beefing up the PE . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau