Nutritious safe low carb snacks?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpyderEdgeForever

Nutritious safe low carb snacks?

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

What are some filling and reasonably nutrition rich low carbohydrate snack foods you all recommend that do not have chemical additives like artificial sweeteners or colors ?
aicolainen

Re: Nutritious safe low carb snacks?

Post by aicolainen »

If you have an air fryer, you could air fry your own chickpeas. That way you'll know exactly what you're getting.
I don't have an air fryer, and I don't really care much for snacks, but my mother in law loves to air fry chickpeas to use for snack. It's a decent snack. It's dry stuff though, so you would want good access to some low carb, healthy hydration. If you only have beers around, you're carb budget will bust in a heartbeat.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Surprisingly, pork rinds of the Epic, Baken-Ets and Randall's Signature Select brands fill that niche for us. My wife is a health nut, and she's the one who introduced them to our pantry.
SpyderEdgeForever

Coastal wrote:
Tue May 14, 2024 4:35 pm
Surprisingly, pork rinds of the Epic, Baken-Ets and Randall's Signature Select brands fill that niche for us. My wife is a health nut, and she's the one who introduced them to our pantry.
Thanks for this. I tried the pork rinds and maybe I should give them another try. I had a bad experience since I've been here in which I almost choked to death on cheap .99 cents a bag pork rinds. Some of the pork rind flakes or whatever went down my windpipe and I began coughing and gagging almost out of control. Someone nearby helped and I cleared the blockage. It was scary.

I have a friend who claims pork and bear meat have worms that survive cooking but that does not sound scientific.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

In the 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's there were months at a time where I was on ice playing hockey 2 to 3 hours per day. In the offseason I was on ice for just 4 to 5 hours per week, raced bicycles, did martial arts, played tennis and lifted weights. In the mid 80's and 90's there were months where I lifted at times and worked out double sessions every other day, up to 70 sets per day....had a 6% to 8% body fat composition(as measured by calipers). 110lb dumbell bench presses and curls were not my max.... I could do 5 sets and rep them 20 times.

I was that guy you would have called a dumb jock until I buckled down and started to study at the ripe old age of 27.

They said I was obese at 195lbs, 5'8" and 8% body fat but I never listened. Then I quit working out and became out of shape. Now I am on Ozempic and trying to get down to <165lbs ASAP. In 3 weeks I've lost 15bs.

*** for snacks I eat small amounts of almonds, and pumpkin seeds

**** for my one meal a day, I might take a small 5oz or 4oz can of ocean caught salmon, drizzle some top of the line EVOO(extra virgin olive oil), throw in 5 olives, and eat it

**** A lot of people realize it’s not just the soda and sweetness but those carbonated bubbles

Get frozen fruits for convenience and accessibility less rot risk unless you can keep up with everything go fresh.

Sparkling water and homemade soda is as follows:
Monday blueberries in it
Tuesday raspberries
Wednesday strawberries
Thursday peaches
Friday pears
Saturday & Sunday anything goes maybe mixed medleys

**** I eat 1/2 to 1 cup of blueberries every day, sometimes with a cup of yogurt.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Wed May 15, 2024 11:47 am
Coastal wrote:
Thanks for this. I tried the pork rinds and maybe I should give them another try. I had a bad experience since I've been here in which I almost choked to death on cheap .99 cents a bag pork rinds. Some of the pork rind flakes or whatever went down my windpipe and I began coughing and gagging almost out of control. Someone nearby helped and I cleared the blockage. It was scary.

I have a friend who claims pork and bear meat have worms that survive cooking but that does not sound scientific.
They can definitely make you choke if you're not careful. It happened to me yesterday. Worms can't survive the type of cooking pork rinds undergo, so don't worry.

Naperville mentioned yogurt, another of our go-to snacks. Make your own, though, or buy very high quality stuff. A lot of traditional store-bought yogurts are loaded with sugar, artificial flavors and colors, preservatives, etc.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

YES! Look for low fat yogurt or Greek Yogurt.

I also recommend Amy's Organic Soups and walnuts for snacks.

NOTE: Not Annie's Organic Soups but Amy's. No word yet on Amy's soups, but Annie's has been called out for have a high microplastic count.

They say to eat organic. They say to eat fresh fruit. Well, the scientists have proved that some of these foods have 100,000 microplastic pieces in one can of soup! Some fresh fruit like apples are no better and we are going to soon hear a lot about the prevalence of microplastics in our food.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Coastal wrote:
The Epic Crackling is so good
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:
Coastal wrote:

Buy high end pork skins or crackling, huge difference. Wild pork may have parasites but farm raised pigs are cleaner than large farm poultry in my opinion. I wouldn’t eat a bear because I like them, same reason I wouldn’t eat an owl or hawk
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

Almonds
Boiled eggs
Cheese
Ostrim elk jerky
Greek yogurt

But why low carb? Carbs are energy. Healthy carbs like veggies and beans are essential.
MRj “Weak things break!”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

SpyderEdgeForever wrote:

Trichenella Spiralis, or trichina worms, won't survive freezing and they don't survive if the meat is cooked thoroughly. Over here, there are no good health officials to watch and pigs eat anything. All pork is cooked completely and there are no issues.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Thank you so very much for your great replies and information. The nuts are good, especially almonds and peanuts, though I know the carb content of peanuts is on the higher side, and the yogurt is a great idea along with everything else. Thanks for the knowledge on pork, and how high enough temperature kills the parasites in that and other meat.
James Y

Post by James Y »

If you eat almonds, to be healthy, I recommend raw almonds over roasted almonds, or other processed and/or flavored almonds.

Jim
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

If you are looking to get “skinner” or lose weight plain tuna fish or boiled chicken breast.
But if you are looking to looked ripped and be an animal eat lots of fatty red meat.
The nuts, yogurt, fruit, vegetables and pork rinds are just something to get you through the day until that ribeye steak is ready.
MRj “Weak things break!”