chaparral birdseye maple question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bcman776

chaparral birdseye maple question

Post by bcman776 »

Hey everyone,

I had my eye on the chaparral birdseye maple for a while now. Does anyone know if the wood scales on the chaparral are stabilized? Also, for those of you who own the knife, how does it compare to the regular chaparral?
Thanks
sal

Re: chaparral birdseye maple question

Post by sal »

Hi Bcman,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Hello and welcome.

Unfortunately I can’t answer your question as to whether or not the scales are stabilized but I have owned the knife since the day it was released and I love it. I’ve had no issues with the scales and they still look great. I would recommend buying in person if possible as the birdseye pattern varies widely. I have seen some that are very plain. I was lucky in that the one I received has a great pattern.

Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My guess is the wood scales aren't stabilized because Maple is already pretty stable. That's why it makes good rifle stocks. The urethane finish on it probably helps too

As far how it compares with the original CF Chap? It's pretty the same except the handle material is different. One thing I do like better about my CF Chap is less exposed screws. The current models all have exposed screws. So for me it's a toss up between the two. The maple ones sure do look nice though

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
fixall

Post by fixall »

I've worked quite a bit of natural and stabilized wood and I'm fairly positive it's stabilized. I imagine Spyderco would have severe issues with warpage with natural scales that thin considering all the places they ship.

SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

The maple is beautiful. Love my Chap LW, but that birdseye is sexy.
fp83

Post by fp83 »

viewtopic.php?t=90784
this person has had this problem exactly..
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

Unfortunately they are not stable. They are beautiful though. Mine warped and swelled immediately after rinsing it off the first time . I didn’t submerge for any length of time or soak it. My wonderful and very lightweight FRN model is fantastic and the intriguing Sun & Moon is fascinating as well as super strong.
WilliamMunny

Post by WilliamMunny »

I am surprised to hear they are not stabilized, from what I have read very few woods (ironwood, ebony, etc) can be used on a knife with out being stabilized.
Endura AUS-8, Manix 2 S30V, Alcyone BD1N, PM2 Micarta Cruwear, Native 5 Maxamet (2nd), Para 3 Maxamet (2nd), Magnacut Mule, Z-Wear Mule, BBB 15V Manix 2, REC PM3 10V Satin, Dragonfly Salt 2, GB2 M4.