New UKPK imminent?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flash

Re: New UKPK imminent?

Post by Flash »

My biggest gripe that here in the U.K. is we have to almost solely rely on Edgar Brothers to bring us new models. Heinnie Haynes are vague at best.

EB appear to be a company that imports Spydercos as a side hustle as oppose to one that has genuine interest in providing the Spyderco fans what they want. Its like they do just the bare minimum to get by. Just coasting along and charging vastly inflated prices. I will exhaust all other means before I give them my money.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It would be nice if the Metropolitan was made in Golden or Taiwan. I doubt I'll ever buy another Italian Spyderco after more than one disappointment, but who knows?

The UKPK is a great pocket knife and is my most carried, though I have some other Spydies that I like to pocket, also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
LeDe

Post by LeDe »

Flash wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 8:11 am
My biggest gripe that here in the U.K. is we have to almost solely rely on Edgar Brothers to bring us new models. Heinnie Haynes are vague at best.

EB appear to be a company that imports Spydercos as a side hustle as oppose to one that has genuine interest in providing the Spyderco fans what they want. Its like they do just the bare minimum to get by. Just coasting along and charging vastly inflated prices. I will exhaust all other means before I give them my money.
I never ordered from them until today as I was not in the UK for the most part of my Spyderco craze.
But at least the Catcherman seems reasonably priced.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

I'd have loved to see Spyderco & HH creating their usual red G-10 penknife with a wharncliffe style blade, and I wouldn't have been too fussed about whatever steel they'd have used.

As suggested above, I also take shop comments and answers with a pinch of salt, now. The whole Woodlore and new Wolfspyder thing really finished me listening seriously to anything a shop says now.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

sal wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:12 pm
Roefisher wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:49 pm
I just can't get my head around all these multiple choices of what's really the exact same knife, rather than giving potential / repeat buyers something new - like a Wharncliffe, or whatever new.

This seems to be the way of Spyderco recently. The exact same knife repeated with different steels and handle colours rather than, God forbid, anything new. I'm guessing its all down to production easiness rather than the expense of a rework / production / cost change. Downright laziness and taking their buyers for granted I call it.

Spyderco is starting to wear thin on me now.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanx for your comments. My apologies for wearing you thin. Spyderco may be a lot of things, but we've never been accused of being lazy, or taking advantage of our customers, which are very important to us.

FYI, we make multiple variations of some models because;

1) As you can see from the requests in this thread, our customers are asking for them. We do try to listen to our customer's requests.
2) We come out with as many, or more, new models than most in the Industry. I'm still in R&D and I'm working on at least 10 new models that will require tooling. Eric is not only GM, but he's also making production decisions and still refining existing models and designing new ones.
3) We're extending a great deal of focus trying to fill the increasing demand for models that we already make, which complicates "squeezing" in something new. Most of our makers are at capacity, as is our Golden factory. That's why we're expanding our factory.

I hope that helps with your understanding. And as always, we're open to suggestions.

sal
What a graceful response from Sal, as well as informative.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Thank you for the reply and explanation, Sal.

Going back on it, some of my wording was at best impolite and I apologise. Not having the same interest in current model variations is no excuse to be rude and should have worded it better, a lot better.

What I meant, to put it friendlier, is that I love to see new models or existing model modifications beyond colours and steels. The idea of a whole new knife appeals to me more. Your mentioning having several new ones in the pipeline is wonderful news and I look forward to hearing all about them later. And, while it's usually not my favourite thing, I can see that a lot of time and effort is made to answer people's requests on existing models and that's no small thing to carry out, I'll bet.

Cheers again for the answer, Sal, and I hope you'll accept my sincere sorry.

All the very best,

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mark,

No Problem. We're all here to share our thoughts and experiences with Spyderco. All comments are appreciated. I think that when the Golden expansion is complete, we should be able to add more new models.

sal
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Having recently handled (and drooled all over) the fluted CF Native 5, I can’t imagine a more elegant expression of the UKPK than a beautifully fluted CF handle with a nice steel. I am looking forward to see what the future brings for the humble UKPK once the new expansion is up and running. Exciting times ahead.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:19 pm
Having recently handled (and drooled all over) the fluted CF Native 5, I can’t imagine a more elegant expression of the UKPK than a beautifully fluted CF handle with a nice steel. I am looking forward to see what the future brings for the humble UKPK once the new expansion is up and running. Exciting times ahead.
I wouldn't be surprised if Vapor Puffin in the UK were able to make fluted CF scales for the UKPK. I know they make fluted metal UKPK scales in 2 styles (I have some), and they make CF UKPK scales in 2 thicknesses and several finishes.

They are very willing to do bespoke work; I have a feeling most of their work is bespoke.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:36 pm
JoviAl wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Vapor Puffin in the UK were able to make fluted CF scales for the UKPK. I know they make fluted metal UKPK scales in 2 styles (I have some), and they make CF UKPK scales in 2 thicknesses and several finishes.

They are very willing to do bespoke work; I have a feeling most of their work is bespoke.
Great shout 👍🏻 I’ve bought a few sets from them for other knives, including an ill fated burgundy micarta set for my wife’s dragonfly that got stolen a couple of weeks later.

I’ll look into that. Thanks!
- Al

Dream knives -
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:40 pm
Coastal wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

Great shout 👍🏻 I’ve bought a few sets from them for other knives, including an ill fated burgundy micarta set for my wife’s dragonfly that got stolen a couple of weeks later.

This convo is making me want some fluted UKPK CF scales too. Maybe pair them with a SPY 27 blade. I'm glad you brought this topic up. Great idea!
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

Coastal wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:56 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Coastal wrote:
JoviAl wrote:

This convo is making me want some fluted UKPK CF scales too. Maybe pair them with a SPY 27 blade. I'm glad you brought this topic up. Great idea!
It took me months to receive the last items I ordered from VP, but they were worth it.
- Al

Dream knives -
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JoviAl wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:59 pm
Coastal wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:56 pm
JoviAl wrote:
Coastal wrote:

It took me months to receive the last items I ordered from VP, but they were worth it.
Yep, slow but awesome workmanship. I just messaged them about fluted CF scales. I'll let you know what I hear (if I remember...)
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

Peter at Vapor Puffin usually has a lot of work on, and is extremely busy. He is in great demand, but very much worth the wait.

I live near him on Devon, and pop in to see him every couple of months to see how he is getting on.

He can do more or less anything, and is willing to experiment with all sorts; G10, titanium, copper, brass, carbon fibre, micarta, wood, all sorts.

Send him a message if you want something, and see what he says.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020