Forum Exclusive Kickstarter

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VandymanG

Re: Forum Exclusive Kickstarter

Post by VandymanG »

riclaw wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:38 pm
Danke wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:31 am
Sylsz Bowie with a lockbar insert in Magnacut with a tanto blade.

Give the people what they want.
Yes! But only if it has mint green FRN on one side and burnt amber G10 on the other.
And yes 🙌 👏
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
Danke

Post by Danke »

riclaw wrote:
Danke wrote:

Yes! But only if it has mint green FRN on one side and burnt amber G10 on the other.
Sorry, Al. I like you're idea but I think you'll have a hard time getting enough people to agree. The UKPK was the front-runner in the Forum Knife thread and it didn't get near enough support.
How does everyone feel about Ultem?
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Danke wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:39 pm
riclaw wrote:
Danke wrote:

Sorry, Al. I like you're idea but I think you'll have a hard time getting enough people to agree. The UKPK was the front-runner in the Forum Knife thread and it didn't get near enough support.
Urine for a treat with the responses you'll get.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Dazen wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:59 am
Albertaboyscott wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:46 am
I'd like to see a forum exclusive but only on a fixed blade so they can make it past Canada's corrupt border service. Folders are too dangerous for our government to allow in

I fixed blade would be fun, and since the forum knife is usually made in the USA that doesn’t leave many choices.

How about a Magnacut Waterway with Denim Micarta?!
Sounds good to me. A fixed blade must be faster and less expensive to produce so maybe that would help get a forum knife into production
vivi

Post by vivi »

did someone say a fixed sprint???

viewtopic.php?t=88988

:)
:unicorn
GT99

Post by GT99 »

A forum exclusive would be great, as stated it would be hard to find something people agree on, however someone could make a poll listing different catagories, model, blade steel, blade shape (just hoping for a PM2 wharncliffe or tanto lol but could leave this one out) scale material, color etc. then tally up the results and pitch that see if everyone would still be interested in it even if it was not the exact custom version they mnay have wanted, but its a way to get the majority rule, Id likely buy one regardless if it was the model I choose first etc I am sure a lot would as well being that it would be an exclusive sprint type deal, its not like they are hard to sell as is
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It would be tough. Even fixed vs folder would be tough, just to start.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Enactive wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:23 pm
Danke wrote:
riclaw wrote:
Danke wrote:

Urine for a treat with the responses you'll get.
Anyone who says that better drink 6 glasses of water!!
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Danke wrote:
riclaw wrote:
Danke wrote:

Hmm Ultem could kind of be the burnt amber. Right?
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

There are plenty of Sprint Runs & Dealer/Distributor Exclusives released every year — 50+ annually on average over the past 5 years.

The last ideas for a Spyderco Forum Knife instead resulted in a UKPK SPY27 regular production folder released in August 2023.

The last actual Forum Knife was released in October 2018 (5 years ago): ParaMilitary2 CPM-S90V Gray G-10 with Bug Logo Inlay Forum Knife 2018. It was sold directly by Spyderco and the MSRP was $269.95 but we were given a discount code for 40% off so it became $161.97.

Forum discussions about Exclusives & Sprints are fertile ground for Spyderco, dealers & distributors to get ideas on what to commission.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

That thing is awesome!! I'd definitely buy one of those if they just made the same thing again. I'm a HUGE PM2 fan though. Honestly I'd buy any kind of special forum knife though no matter what it was unless it was just something really crazy expensive and out of my budget. I think that would a really cool collectible to have.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Danke

Post by Danke »

VandymanG wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:28 pm
Danke wrote:
riclaw wrote:
Danke wrote:

Hmm Ultem could kind of be the burnt amber. Right?
Amber is pretty accurate.

Dazen

Post by Dazen »

A fixed blade or even folder would be cool in Ultem, where they engrave “Forum Knife 202X” on the tang or liners that can be seen through the Ultem.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm
That thing is awesome!! I'd definitely buy one of those if they just made the same thing again. I'm a HUGE PM2 fan though. Honestly I'd buy any kind of special forum knife though no matter what it was unless it was just something really crazy expensive and out of my budget. I think that would a really cool collectible to have.

Five years ago that PM2 Forum Knife 2018 was $162. In the meantime, there were several rounds of inflationary increases and the MAP went from 40% to just 30% off MSRP. Today, that $162 could well be $230+ if discount was offered otherwise $300+.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Thorien

Post by Thorien »

I'd be all over a Para 3 forum knife...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 1:43 pm
The last ideas for a Spyderco Forum Knife instead resulted in a UKPK SPY27 regular production folder released in August 2023.

Forum discussions about Exclusives & Sprints are fertile ground for Spyderco, dealers & distributors to get ideas on what to commission.
Still bummed we didn't get a Blue G10 Version of that knife. Still hope though! Especially with the new PM2 and Para 3 Blue G10 SPY27. Would not be much of a stretch to get the UKPK with the same clothes.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:06 am
"Problematic" doesn't begin to cover it....People keep asking for an entirely new model (yes, a C95 with a Powerlock is an entirely new model)....The crowdfunded Supergold Endura and Delica were basically sprints - different steel and colors in regular production models.
This is a really good point. More traction might well be gained if forum members were able to work through a specific Spyderco dealer; a sprint run via that method could work well.

Is there a forum member who has a strong relationship with a specific dealer?
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

RamZar wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 3:29 pm
Striple765Rider wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2023 2:30 pm

Five years ago that PM2 Forum Knife 2018 was $162. In the meantime, there were several rounds of inflationary increases and the MAP went from 40% to just 30% off MSRP. Today, that $162 could well be $230+ if discount was offered otherwise $300+.
That definitely stings a bit but sadly that's not far off the price of a plain jane Shaman anymore so I think for a knife like that it still isn't horrible. Especially if it's a fairly high end steel.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Matus

Post by Matus »

Some interesting discussions. I also think that we would be basically looking at a sprint-like release with some Spyderco insignia on it. Anything beyond that is not realistic - with one possible exception. If Spyderco has a new model in the pipeline, then they could also introduce it like a forum knife and then follow up with the unlimited release. That would be pretty cool. Now whether that is something Spyderco would be willing to entertain is a different question I do not know an answer to.
Last edited by Matus on Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

If I remember right, the Lava was first released as a forum knife, then as a production piece.