Perfecting the perfection with current materials.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Perfecting the perfection with current materials.

Post by apollo »

As many off you will know i am a massive Manix fan. In the end i love all manixes!! (Almost)
But my heart has a special spot for the Orginals. Made as if by the gods a quality that lasts generations. They are for me the pinnacle of Spyderco's manufacturing even today. So i kinda have a dream. How realistic would it be if you take this amazing knife.
And give it some modern love in some kind off limited edition sprint?
Give it the powerlock and a blade of either magnacut or 15v.
I would go nuts for it!
So i wonder does anyone else think such a resurection of past designs is something Spyderco should look at?

To be clear i do not wish to retire the Manix 2 design by this that is why i would make it a limited edition. I know it would cost an arm and a leg or even a kidney.
But for me it would be more then worth paying any price.

So i wonder what do you guys think of such limited editions of well loved designs?
Last edited by apollo on Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
riclaw

Re: Perfecting the perfection with current materials.

Post by riclaw »

That's a tank of a knife. It needs a tough steel. How about a CruCarta sprint?
- Richard
apollo

Post by apollo »

riclaw wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:23 am
That's a tank of a knife. It needs a tough steel. How about a CruCarta sprint?
A powerlock crucarta limited edition would indeed also be a great idea!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I mean they're bringing back the Catcherman as a sprint... and the Goddard as an exclusive...and the Massad Ayoob...not exactly supernew models... so maybe there's hope for you ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm extremely happy to see that Dino-Knife in Belgium, that's all I'll say !

Well, maybe that more Dino-Knives in Belgium would be better !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I find it difficult to see them returning to the C95 Manix for a few reasons. If the Manix 2 Backlock sold better than it did when it came out and if the Manix 2 XL sold better in general than it currently does, I’d see this a little more optimistically. I could see them changing the lock on the C95 Manix 2 XL for a sprint run as a possibility but a slim one at that.
- Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

With the expansion close to being done, the idea of resurrecting some Golden models is a little more palatable. There’s an opportunity cost to producing “another” Manix. I think the criticism of too many variants of existing knives is fair. Many of us want new and exciting. Maybe the expansion allows Spyderco to do both?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I think keep the C95 as is and get st nicks to do a dlc 4v run.

itd be special for many reasons. first c95 run in over a decade, first dlc c95, and a tough steel to match a tough knife.

of course I could always go for a choil-less manix in either lock. i drew a mock-up....
vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
:unicorn
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Makes me think of a BBL Resilience :open-grin.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

apollo

Post by apollo »

Mushroom wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:25 pm
I find it difficult to see them returning to the C95 Manix for a few reasons. If the Manix 2 Backlock sold better than it did when it came out and if the Manix 2 XL sold better in general than it currently does, I’d see this a little more optimistically. I could see them changing the lock on the C95 Manix 2 XL for a sprint run as a possibility but a slim one at that.
Ill be honest i even forget about that one because my memory has that one blocked for a reason...
I know many people back in the day all those long years ago that went banana's when spyderco announced the return of the lockback. (Myself included)

But and it is a big BUT love quickly died and people got mad when they let out they dropped the liners out for thicker g10 scales. (Because all of us begged for years for the original to return and not for that soft copy to be made)
So it was not a suprise to me to see that the sales where a let down.
Now i dont want to go further in to this so i'll leave it at that because that is not what my topic is about.

That is why i want them to use the powerlock. Its an amazing lock just collecting dust at the moment and the Manix is the perfect platform for it.

What you say about sales you can be correct that the XL isnt the biggest seller.
But that is why i would suggest it to be made a limited edition sprint run.
Last edited by apollo on Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:31 am
I'm extremely happy to see that Dino-Knife in Belgium, that's all I'll say !

Well, maybe that more Dino-Knives in Belgium would be better !
Thx buddy. Dino spydies are always welcome in my home. And especially when theyre Manixes. I want to safe as much of them as i can!! :cheap-sunglasses
apollo

Post by apollo »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:59 pm

itd be special for many reasons. first c95 run in over a decade, first dlc c95, and a tough steel to match a tough knife.

of course I could always go for a choil-less manix in either lock. i drew a mock-up....
vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:03 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 11:08 pm
vivi wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:01 pm
If I'm going to carry a tank of a knife I want a full sized handle and blade.

Wonder if Spyderco would ever consider "Bodacious-ize-ing" the Manixes, deleting the choil, and bringing the edge right up to the handle...
I've been beating that drum for a few years now. Doubt this idea ever sees the light of day, but boy would I be a happy camper.

Drew that 3 years and a week ago it looks like.
I like what you say about keeping it to the orginal and just giving it another steel but let it be a sprint from spyderco itself otherwise it will only hang around for the lucky few in one area, and i find a design as this needs to be admired around the world!
vivi

Post by vivi »

if the phoenix, dodo goddard lw and catcherman can come back, I see no reason the c95 couldn't. Imagine one in rex45, bhq M4, st nicks 4V.......or a crucarta version :cheap-sunglasses
:unicorn
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:59 pm
I’d buy a C95 exclusive like that in a heartbeat.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Siren, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

apollo wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm
I like what you say about keeping it to the orginal and just giving it another steel but let it be a sprint from spyderco itself otherwise it will only hang around for the lucky few in one area, and i find a design as this needs to be admired around the world!
I'll order two and mail you the other one :winking-tongue

Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

There are definitely some ideas here I like.

While I’ve come to really like the CBBL, I do admire the build and subtle qualities of the older backlock Manixes like the different jimping (or lack thereof) and robustness that the forum has made clear to me.

The prospect of more Powerlocks is really interesting to me. I think Spyderco could see the right knife using that mechanism become a popular model for them and the robust Manix knives are probably perfect candidates.
If Golden made Powerlocks are possible, they would be epic!

My preferences lean significantly toward knives with handle scales that extend right up close to the edge and are fairly tall. A choiless Manix XL, like Vivi’s drawing, is right up my alley. I’m anticipating the Bodacious for exactly this reason.

I think it’s really great that the Manix XL is going to be part of the full production Crucarta series. Distributor exclusives have been the only source of variations recently, so it’s good to see that.
I might have a Crucarta Manix XL in my future.
However, I think it would be really cool if the C95 did get some sprints/exclusives. Something like what Apollo or Vivi mentioned aren’t bad ideas (I’m partial to Rex45).
The C95 is robust enough that you could get creative with the handle materials. Micarta, TeroTuf, Richlite, G10, etc.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:30 pm
if the phoenix, dodo goddard lw and catcherman can come back, I see no reason the c95 couldn't. Imagine one in rex45, bhq M4, st nicks 4V.......or a crucarta version :cheap-sunglasses
The Phoenix, Goddard LW, Dodo, and Catcherman all have something in common that the C95 Manix does not. That is the likely a leading reason for why the C95 Manix probably wouldn’t return.
- Nick :bug-red
apollo

Post by apollo »

Ramonade wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:12 pm
apollo wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm
I'll order two and mail you the other one :winking-tongue
Iff you would do that for me ill stop trying to go against it in a heartbeat buddy! :smlling-eyes
Because if they would finally after all these years. (Basically it started within 6 months that the original got discontinued all those years ago) and it was made as an exclusive that i could not get to well let us say this then.
There would not be words in any existing or dead languages to even start to mention such a betrayal.
I would just go mentally unstable... :squinting-tongue
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

I would buy as many as allowed of this if it was a sprint, especially with a power lock and a modern steel. I can’t think of a way to improve on that.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I wish the original would have been given the CF / S90V treatment as other knives present and past . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau