The WolfSpyder - any updates?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Roefisher

The WolfSpyder - any updates?

Post by Roefisher »

Hello folks,

Since way last year, this one has been out of stock at Woodlore waiting on a new model "available in 2023". 2022’s gone and it's now the end of the tenth month of 2023 but no news, at least as far as I've noticed.

Has anyone heard anything about this one since? I was really hoping for an XL version but I know that's probably not going to happen this time as it said the new model would have a "slightly different specification". That means a steel change or a very minor handle change, but certainly not the 4"+ blade I was hoping for.

Any news on this?

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: The WolfSpyder - any updates?

Post by apollo »

I know nothing about it but if i remember the release of the original correctly.
That one kinda released out of the blue without it even came up on the forums. So i would not be suprised if this happens again.
PStone

Post by PStone »

I haven’t heard anything yet either but I check that webpage at least once a month to see if it’s restocked yet. It’s my most anticipated release with the supposed update. I’m very curious what the “slightly different specifications” means though.
JoviAl

Post by JoviAl »

PStone wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:06 pm
I haven’t heard anything yet either but I check that webpage at least once a month to see if it’s restocked yet. It’s my most anticipated release with the supposed update. I’m very curious what the “slightly different specifications” means though.
I’m awaiting this arrival with baited breath too. I’m hoping the ‘slightly different specifications’ refers to rounded edges on new micarta handles that house a 4 inch LC200N or Cruwear blade with a laser engraving of Ray Mears’ face and the words ‘What Would Mears Do?” under it.

🤷🏼‍♂️ a guy can hope.

*edited for typo
Last edited by JoviAl on Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Al

Work: Jumpmaster 2

Home: DF2 K390 Wharncliffe/DF2 Salt H1 SE and K390 Police 4 LW SE/15V Shaman

Dream knives -
Chinook in Magnacut (any era)
Manix 2 XL Salt in Magnacut
A larger Rockjumper in Magnacut SE
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

LC or CruWear would rock! Curious what all the updates include? Maybe steel, maybe something to do with the second detent ball?

Looking forward to the next release.
Last edited by Enactive on Sun Oct 29, 2023 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Really hoping for another run of these. Even better would be a change in steel to Cruwear.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wrong thread
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JoviAl wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 5:08 pm
PStone wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 2:06 pm
I’m awaiting this arrival with bated breath too. I’m hoping the ‘slightly different specifications’ refers to rounded edges on new micarta handles that house a 4 inch LC200N or Cruwear blade with a laser engraving of Ray Mears’ face and the words ‘What Would Mears Do?” under it.

🤷🏼‍♂️ a guy can hope.
Cruwear and I’m in.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

I bought the original when the Pound was down after Brexit. It's a cool little knife. It's the only knife I've had to send back to Spyderco because I couldn't get it back together. I stripped the pivot screw. It is a peculiar construction, with a second detent ball that makes it unfiddlewithable- no spydie flick, no drop-shuttiness...The action is always very tight as the second detent remains in contact with the blade through the entire travel of opening. Actually I've always wondered if the compression lockbar even has a detent ball because it looks like it rides flat against the blade. Either way, there is a unique layout to the detent functionality that I have not seen on any other compression locks.

So yeah, a second version would be nice, but it needs more than a steel or scale upgrade. This knife needs a top down modernization so that the utility of the scandi grind is matched with a refreshed layout. I would go for an XL since the OG is kinda small. It's a great whittling blade as it stands, but it is definitely too small for a "bushcrafting" knife as it is modeled after.
Guts

Post by Guts »

Only found out about this model somewhat recently. Would definitely grab one if/when they re-release. A scandi folder with Cruwear would be awesome.
:bug-red-white :bug-red :bug-white-red
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

soulspy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm
I bought the original when the Pound was down after Brexit. It's a cool little knife. It's the only knife I've had to send back to Spyderco because I couldn't get it back together. I stripped the pivot screw. It is a peculiar construction, with a second detent ball that makes it unfiddlewithable- no spydie flick, no drop-shuttiness...The action is always very tight as the second detent remains in contact with the blade through the entire travel of opening. Actually I've always wondered if the compression lockbar even has a detent ball because it looks like it rides flat against the blade. Either way, there is a unique layout to the detent functionality that I have not seen on any other compression locks.

So yeah, a second version would be nice, but it needs more than a steel or scale upgrade. This knife needs a top down modernization so that the utility of the scandi grind is matched with a refreshed layout. I would go for an XL since the OG is kinda small. It's a great whittling blade as it stands, but it is definitely too small for a "bushcrafting" knife as it is modeled after.
It was never intended to be a bushcraft knife. It was intended as an everyday carry knife for routine day to day tasks but with familiar features for bushcrafters. Ray being a veteran whittler, I'm sure that was one of the things he had in mind while designing and refining the model.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:16 am
It was never intended to be a bushcraft knife. It was intended as an everyday carry knife for routine day to day tasks but with familiar features for bushcrafters. Ray being a veteran whittler, I'm sure that was one of the things he had in mind while designing and refining the model.
Seems like a reasonable design intent.
To be honest, I'm not too much into this and don't know exactly what bushcrafting implies, but to the extent I carry out tasks that feels like they falls under that moniker, it's not typical folding knife territory.

Local knife brand Helle has brought a handful of scandi grind folding knives to market over the last couple of years, and most of them are on the smaller side. I think they look nice and I'm very tempted by this style of folding knife. Also doesn't hurt that purchasing one would support my home team (for once). Sadly only one model comes with a pocket clip and none of them offer one handed opening. This gives me some doubts about how much I'll actually end up carrying such a knife.
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

i wrote them in february and got this reply:

"At the moment there are no updates to the release. We are also very keen to see the knife back on the website. All I can suggest is to keep an eye on social media and the website for further updates. Please also use the notification service to receive an email alert when the knife comes available."
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:16 am
soulspy wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:17 pm

I get it isn't a bushcrafting knife. When I said modeled after one, I should have just said styled or shaped like more robust bushcrafting knives. It is beefy, but it is not going to bushcraft :winking-tongue
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Hey, everyone:
There are no plans at this time for another production run or an update to the WolfSpyder.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

TazKristi wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:39 am
Hey, everyone:
There are no plans at this time for another production run or an update to the WolfSpyder.

Kristi

Thanks Kristi.

This obviously goes completely against what's been written on the Woodlore shop website for at least a year now about a new model WolfSpyder coming out in 2023. Unless there were plans and they fell through afterwards, and nobody changed the shop description? Who knows.

Anyway, that's disappointing news for me. But it gives me more interest in the new Manix XL Cruwear so that's something positive, at least.

Mark
“You just made me have a bowel movement in my britches, Garrett. I ain't gonna never forgive you for this.”
Danke

Post by Danke »

I strongly suspect Spyderco has no control over what's posted on an outside website.

If they did they'd be using that power to crush the counterfeit makers as job one.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I wonder if there was a miscommunication in the past because the WolfSpyder listing appears to have been removed from Ray Mears website.
- Nick :bug-red
Roefisher

Post by Roefisher »

Mushroom wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:36 pm
I wonder if there was a miscommunication in the past because the WolfSpyder listing appears to have been removed from Ray Mears website.

The mother of all coincidences that it's gone today? The WolfSpyderco was on their website yesterday with the the same details I quoted earlier in this thread.

I believe Woodlore were 100% genuine when they said a new knife was the pipeline or even a hopeful idea at one time, maybe even a year ago or whenever, but the main point is that all that's gone now and they didn't decide for whatever reason to sort out and remove the website WolfSpyder page until today, literally.

I'm determined to get the brown Micarta Manix XL Cruwear now!

Mark
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

That is strange and I believe you about the WolfSpyder listing on Woodlore because I also looked at the listing recently as well; Maybe not yesterday but at least since this thread was started.
- Nick :bug-red