Will they ever have full Superblue again?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Striple765Rider

Will they ever have full Superblue again?

Post by Striple765Rider »

I LOOOOVE Superblue steel and the gorgeous patina it gets. I wasn't real big in to collecting knives when they did the Caly and Calypso runs in it so i missed out on those. I look for used ones but they're so far and few between and VERY expensive when you do find them that's pretty much a dead end.

I have a Delica in the Superblue clad in SUS410 but it's just not the same and I really prefer around a 3.5" or slightly bigger blade anyway. I also picked up a Petty knife in Spyderco's Itamae line of kitchen knives and am in love with that thing! I want to also get the Bunka Bocho and Nakiri in the same line on knives. It cuts soooo nice and has stayed sharp for awhile now. And within the first few times of using it it started to get that gorgeous blueish grey color along the edge. My Delica also has that as well after using it in a couple of hot bloody steaks, some strawberries and rasberries.

Please do another run of full Superblue knives Sal!! :preying :preying
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Hatuletoh

Re: Will they ever have full Superblue again?

Post by Hatuletoh »

I heartily second this. I love Superblue steel, and the Calypso Jr. that was released in Superblue a few years back is one of my most prized pieces.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I consulted my magic 8 ball and it said very doubtful.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'd love a super blue Stretch 2. There was an SB Stretch 1 that was laminated. I like both laminated and monometal blades.

IIRC the Moki made SB models were monometal blades and G. Sakai made SB models were mostly laminated. Please correct if I'm mistaken.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I seem to recall it was an issue of sourcing the unlaminanted steel? They don't make H-1 anymore, and I think superblue only comes laminated. Don't quote me on that, but I think that was the issue.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Striple765Rider

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:29 am
I seem to recall it was an issue of sourcing the unlaminanted steel? They don't make H-1 anymore, and I think superblue only comes laminated. Don't quote me on that, but I think that was the issue.
That makes sense because even looking at genuine Japanese cooking knives you can’t find anything that’s full blue steel, they’re all San Mai style.

Man I’d love to see something else come along in full Superblue again though! Such a gorgeous steel and it’s got great edge holding ability due to the pretty high Hrc number it’s usually at. I think most run it up around 66-67. That’s creeping up on even the mighty Maxamet.
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I would by an unclad SuperBlue or unclad v-toku-2 Delica in an instant. I'd buy 3. I picked up the Caly Jr in the unclad superblue, but it just doesn't jive with me; the Delica is so much better in just about every way - except where it comes to the liners. Liner-less FRN with screw inserts (barrel inserts?) is admittedly better. However, it isn't enough to move the caly jr into my rotation; plus, I don't like fish, so the fish scale pattern thing is...gross (yes, I do realize how ridiculous this sounds) for lack of a better term.
--Jeremy
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Super Blue kind of sucks for anything besides light use, such as for food. In that case, get a sweet kitchen knife instead of a folder. Which is made for food anyways.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
VandymanG

Post by VandymanG »

Love my Delica 4 Superblue/SUS410. It’s a lite duty EDC that gets used a lot 7 days a week. Would love an all Superblue Native. With the thicker blade that comes with the native I think Superblue would do just fine and the patina would be amazing.
Greg

* EDC - - - PM2 - S45VN, PM2 - Crucarta, Native 5 - CRUWEAR, Manix 2 LW - CPM M4

Mules in current use M398 and K294
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 9:46 pm
Super Blue kind of sucks for anything besides light use, such as for food. In that case, get a sweet kitchen knife instead of a folder. Which is made for food anyways.
Respectfully, I'm gonna have to disagree with you here. My anecdotal experience is that if you take superblue down to sub-10° per side, and leave it with a coarse finish and microbevel, it will cut an atom and survive the explosion in the process while still keeping a working edge forever.
--Jeremy
Matus

Post by Matus »

Let's not get fixated too much on one single carbon steel. There are more interesting candidates like ApexUltra for example and a variety of SuperBlue similar steels in Germany (with an arguably varying level of availability) like 1.2562, 1.2442, 1.2519, etc. And let's just not discard the good old 52100 which at high HRC is truly fantastic and while it takes patina readily, it does not rust quite the same way the other steels often do.

I am just saying there might be more options if SuperBlue would for one reason or another would not work for Spyderco.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Spyderco offering super blue was cool, but I rather have it in a kitchen knife (offered but lots of makers), because there's other less available steel I'd like them to use first (hap72, srs13)
Danke

Post by Danke »

Good news; the Murray Carter Itamea knives are Super Blue.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

The Itamae knives are clad, OP is asking about full super blue.
Danke

Post by Danke »

ekastanis wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:22 am
The Itamae knives are clad, OP is asking about full super blue.
Even the handle?
Striple765Rider

Danke wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:24 pm
Yeah I have the petty in that series and it’s AMAZING! I’m going to pick up a couple others to have a set of them but as the other guy said I’m asking about a full Superblue blade, not cladded. I also have one of the cladded Superblue/SUS410 Delica. I love it as well and it’s got the gorgeous patina on the lower cutting edge but I’d love to have the whole blade get that look.

This is my Spyderco Itamae Petty after just a handful of uses. The camera doesn’t do it justice either. I tried to get it to pop like it does in person.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

That’s my Delica. I love that line but I’d love to have the whole blade get that patina and I’d like a larger blade too. I prefer blades around 3.5” or a little bigger. I LOVE the size of the PM2, Manix 2 and Endura.
That patina was after just a couple steaks, some strawberries and raspberries. It’s amazing how quick this Superblue patina’s. I’ve been using my Maxamet for awhile now on a bunch of stuff and it’s nowhere near this nice.

-Dave
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I worked in a warehouse for many years and gave this knife a try for a week, and it was the worst of any knife I've ever used for that kind of work.

Besides that, for lighter use, I bet it shines. Plus it can take a pretty cool patina. I've always loved this shot. It was all in the lighting though, admittedly wasn't normally that vibrant.

15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Striple765Rider

That thing is gorgeous! And I understand the lighting thing. You have to get it to hit just right to get all those beautiful colors.
What was so bad about it! I’m not a heavy knife user so mine get pretty light use and if I do have anything real rough I’ve got my Izula II or other fixed blades.

-Dave
Danke

Post by Danke »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:53 pm
Danke wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 9:24 pm
Yeah I have the petty in that series and it’s AMAZING! I’m going to pick up a couple others to have a set of them but as the other guy said I’m asking about a full Superblue blade, not cladded. I also have one of the cladded Superblue/SUS410 Delica. I love it as well and it’s got the gorgeous patina on the lower cutting edge but I’d love to have the whole blade get that look.

This is my Spyderco Itamae Petty after just a handful of uses. The camera doesn’t do it justice either. I tried to get it to pop like it does in person.
Shoot in natural light when the sun is near the horizon; AKA Golden Hour. Get some angle on the shot too; don't be right square to the blade.