Any love for the Watu?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Flash

Any love for the Watu?

Post by Flash »

I don’t currently own this knife but it’s one that’s been on my radar ever since it was released, just never pulled the trigger as it’s only available here from two stores which are always expensive.

For me this knife ticks a lot of boxes:
Neutral ergos, slick action, compression lock, high pocket clip and most of all the low geometry blade - said to be even slicier than the Chap?

I understand it’s appearance is quite polarising but wondering if there’s any love for this hardly mentioned model out there? What are peoples experiences with it?

Thanks,
Flash.
elena86

Re: Any love for the Watu?

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

I've been wanting to get one and right now they're $200 canadian but timing is the poops for me
Flash

Post by Flash »

They are the equivalent of $266 here!
But I Feel like I should get one soon before they are gone for good due to them being on the discontinued list. That will leave us with the Chaparral (and possibly the centofante) for fans of super-low geometry.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Paid $147 last month from Knifeworks due to its being on the disco list. I've seen them for less on eBay if you want to take the risk. I haven't heard of counterfeits of this knife, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Now is a good time to pick one up.

You already know its advantages: thin blade (.098" over the hole, .020" BTE) keen tip, exotic looks, good steel, deep deep carry, and a very satisfying slightly nubby G-10 scale material. Gotta be one of my favorite scale materials, from a traction standpoint, it's just nicely between rough and smooth--it's both at the same time.

As you know, it has none of the finger-indent "ergos" that people rave about but still feels good in the hand, but does not "lock in" your hand, so there could be an issue of the hand sliding forward on a thrust. As another member pointed out, there's not really a choil, it's just a jimped ricasso, which wouldn't do much from keeping your finger off the edge, so you need to pay attention if thrusting...but with a tip this fine, that's really not what it's for. What I'm saying is that I'd never want to use the Watu for SD, or any other thrusting work, though if pressed, it would suffice. I think the Watu could use some jimping on the spine. Since it's not a "lock the grip in place" kind of knife, it would be nice to be able to index by feel with jimping under the thumb. It's possible to add that in the home shop, and I'm considering it.

The Watu does have the "ricasso comes up into the comp lock cutout" issue which I didn't even notice until I started reading on this forum that some people find it very bothersome (I see it often mentioned on the Shaman). Doesn't bother me, but if that bothers you, it's something to consider.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Watu has always been intriguing to me.

The pretty thin blade, the Manix-length cutting edge in a sub-Delica length package, not having a deep, pronounced choil and a handle that offers a ton of actual grip area for a short knife are things I like.

And especially the almost entirely completely straight cutting edge with just a slight belly towards the tip is something I appreciate a lot.

Don't know about the appearantly very fine tip though (the already mentioned Chap has, as far as I can see, a more robust one on its thin blade).

And I would have prefered it to be a "lil Chokwe" in keeping the frame lock of that larger sibling.

Also not really a cf guy, and it is just too pricey over here (though certainly worth it, don't get me wrong).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ Good descrip, Warty.

The scales are some sort of amalgam of CF with G10, actually. I'm not a big CF fan either, but this...this has a unique feel. It sure looks like CF though. Just feels different from other CF I own.

Gives it an odd contradictory look: like a spacecraft melded with a Zulu warrior.
Last edited by Bolster on Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:38 pm
The scales are some sort of amalgam of CF with G10, actually. I'm not a big CF fan either, but this...this has a unique feel. It sure looks like CF though. Just doesn't feel like it.

Ok, was not aware of that! Sounds interesting indeed!

I'd definitely love to try a Watu at some point.
It would also probably fill a niche in my personal use (more "urban", light duty) where I am fine with a comp.lock.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
R100

Post by R100 »

Bought one of these when they were discoed and have no idea now why I waited so long. It is an awesome knife. Very slicey, very comfortable, exemplary fit and finish and mine has a good detent. It is an outstanding edc knife and works surprisingly well for food prep. Not a heavy duty knife but I have heaps of those already. I think this one will be a long time favourite.

Dan
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

A steal at the discontinued pricing. Get them while you can. It's a Spyderco sleeper model
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

A footnote about the scale material on the Watu. Above I called it an "amalgam of CF with G10" but I've been unable to determine exactly what it is with internet research. I don't know whether it is CF mixed in with G10, or whether it is a thin CF laminate on top of G10, or some other combination. If it's a lamination, the lamination line is well hidden.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:21 am
A footnote about the scale material on the Watu. Above I called it an "amalgam of CF with G10" but I've been unable to determine exactly what it is with internet research. I don't know whether it is CF mixed in with G10, or whether it is a thin CF laminate on top of G10, or some other combination. If it's a lamination, the lamination line is well hidden.
It’s a Carbon Fiber/G10 Laminate. Spyderco has used it on numerous models such as the Sage 5, Mantra 3, and others.
- Nick :bug-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:32 am
It’s a Carbon Fiber/G10 Laminate. Spyderco has used it on numerous models such as the Sage 5, Mantra 3, and others.
:up-index-finger Yep!

I have a whole bunch of models with CF/G10 laminate. It's one of my favorite scale materials too. Sometimes I wish they'd at least use a different color but I'm good with it otherwise

This thread remineded me that I have a new Watu that hasn't seen much pocket time or use. So mine will be in pocket for a few days
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ A single thin laminate of CF on the top of the G10?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bolster wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:27 pm
^ A single thin laminate of CF on the top of the G10?
Yes, a little easier to see on the Smock cutout.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
thuyenbuom

Post by thuyenbuom »

I have two Watus for EDC... The Watu is a lightweight carry for me and is very sharp/very slicey. It fits well in my XXL hands using a lanyard. The Watu opens and closes with ease and is a good looking and well-made folding knife!
Necromonger: What do you think of this blade?
Riddick: I think it is a half gram heavy on the back end.

The Chronicles of Riddick - Blade Scene
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Anyone wanting to keep up with Sal’s design-chops of late would certainly find rewards in his Watu.

I love the slightly Wharnied and decidedly thin (but not Chaparral-thin) blade-stock of mine, not to forget its sneaky-good ergos, at least in my largish hand.

Most here will know the Watu as a recent addition to the “ethnic series”, along with the Chokwe (the Watu’s big brother), the Pattada, and the Pattadese (the Pattada’s little brother). Interesting to me is these four models, appearing 2016-2020, are, if I’m not mistaken, Sal’s first contributions to the ethnic series, which is said to have begun in 1998 or so.

More intriguing to me is my argument (with myself) that the Watu and the other three amount to Sal playing with the handle-forward idea (if neither for the first time, such as his earlier Lil’ Temp1-3, D’Allara3, and Caribbean, nor the last, with his subsequent Rock Jumper and Leaf Jumper, and more on the horizon.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The handle-forward concept Sal has been experimenting lately, is more specifically in regards to “handle-forward backlocks.”

The general “handle-forward” concept has been implemented on knives from many different brands, including Spyderco, for a long time now. The Rockjumper and Leafjumper are the only examples we have from Spyderco of the “handle-forward backlock” concept, so far.
- Nick :bug-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:53 pm
The handle-forward concept Sal has been experimenting lately, is more specifically in regards to “handle-forward backlocks.”

The general “handle-forward” concept has been implemented on knives from many different brands, including Spyderco, for a long time now. The Rockjumper and Leafjumper are the only examples we have from Spyderco of the “handle-forward backlock” concept, so far.
Is “backlock” your inference, Nick? I have not seen Sal restrict the handle-forward idea this way. Rather, I have concluded (perhaps wrongly) from his comments that the idea is achieved when an open folder’s edge extends back to the handle (no choil, no notch), otherwise bringing the handle “forward” with no sacrifice of edge-length.

I care not whether other brands have implemented this idea, just how Sal is doing it. We agree that the Jumpers are handle-forward, if not on the others I named. But I’m naturally curious to know, since I don’t own every model, what other Spydies you regard as handle-forward in the general sense, apart from what I named.
-Marc (pocketing a VG10 JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

When it is mentioned in terms of Spydercos designs, I believe Sal is referring to the challenge the mid back lock provides in terms of achieving a handle forward design. Other types of locks don't present the same challenge to the Handle Forward designs.

This is a little bit where Sal describes the challenge specifically with Mid Back Locks.
viewtopic.php?t=87434
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005